freefalle

cannon rebel eos

I am looking at 35mm cameras for shooting stills. I thought Id read some post on here about the Cannon Rebel I think Eos or Nos (forget which) I saw a cannon rebel on sale at walmart the other day for about 150.00 and was thinking about buying it. Is this a good Camera to use for shooting stills while doing video? If so whats a good lens to put on it, Im mostly going to shoot tandem and 4 ways. Thanks for the help

Although I'm making a generalized assuption, Canon is one of the more popular still packages used in skydiving. It's simple, lightweight, and easy to use. I might suggest a 28mm lens for tandems, a polarizer and a plain cap for protection.

Best of luck!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

Rebel for $150? I say get it. Especially if it's the Rebel 2000. Even if it's the G, Walmart's still giving them away. For that price, I wouldn't worry if the lens starts at 35mm - you can always find a 22mm and upwards later.

I recently bought a Rebel X on eBay for $76 total. It didn't come with lens, so I got a EF 22-55mm USM for another $70.

The big differences? From what I know about the X and the G is that the G has a built-in pop-up flash. And between the G and the 2000 is that the 2000 has like 5 or 7 auto focus points on the viewfinder as opposed to 3.

I don't think the focus points are that important because you'll likely use manual more often. And being able to set the camera to full manual is a big plus as you get more and more experienced.

I used to think that Rebels are kiddy toys - all plastic, rediculously light, and probably just won't last. My opinions changed after 3 hard openings (I've never flown camera).

Around my DZ, Rebels are the only still cameras I've seen. And it's easy to see why - jack for a remote switch, light weight, compatible with all EF lens, inexpensive.
My other ride is the relative wind.

The latest Rebel - 2000 Ti - does 2.5 per second. Now if you really want to play with power and don't mind the neverending chiroprator bills, check out the EOS 1v. It does 10, but you'll need some battery pack that weighs like a brick.

Now if you want to go light weight, than you might have to go digital to save on the extra battery pack. And the EOS 1D, does 21 frames per sec, at 4.15 megapixels.

If anybody wants to know what I'd like for X'mas, that be it.:)

My other ride is the relative wind.