BoobieCootie

Diablo w/ 4.0 ROCKS!

I got to jump my Diablo last Saturday after a long absence.

I had it relined following my cutaway on 1/18/03 - the lines tacked together on inspection; probably caused by the line-twists.

It came back with the 4.0 mod. And talk about bottom-end (I finally get it), the flare is powerful. It shot me back up a couple of feet on my "pre-second" jump that I dirtied my freshly washed jumpsuit and made it look like I took a dump in my pants. Each landing afterwards were all stood up.

Openings were brisk, thanks to the new pilot chute I'm guessing. Definitely not hard. They opened whipping me to my right, and I think it's mostly due to my packing.

Turns - I did rear-riser turns mostly. It can still bank like it used to. And glides are a little flatter. On toggle turns, I mostly did flat braked turns. I wasn't pushing it since I haven't jumped for awhile, and there's no reason too either;)

I'll post more as I learn.

BTW, Carol @ Aerodyne was most helpful with all the arrangements. Thank you Carol.:)

I'm not sure if the Diablo is any different, but I had my Tri relined with the 4.0 mod and it was just moving the steering line attachments 1/2 cell to the inside. Not sure if there were any other trim adjustments, didn't notice a big difference but it flys fine.
Blue Ones
Tad

The 4.0 mod basically takes adds another upper control line and it's positioned closer to towards the center cell. (The Diablo originally comes with 3 upper control lines on ea. side).

You end up getting more flare power. Turns are supposedly a tad slower than w/o the 4.0, but the Diablo is still a fast turning canopy to begin with.

I had thought of selling the Diablo for a same size Sabre2, but not anymore. A reline a still cheaper than buying canopy, new or used.:)

I'm glad to hear that you are having good luck with the Diablo.

I owned a 110 2 years ago. Never got any good landings from it. I wound up sending it back to have some line adjustments made, but it didn't fix the problem. I got rid of it. I did really like the zippy turns....way cool. But the landings were really hard on me. My Crossfire treats me much better.

Good luck Mr. Diablo B|

Que sera sera

After 5 jumps on my Diablo, I must say that I'm lovin' itB|

My landings have much improved - from 3 standups out of 10, I've now landed 4 out of 5:S. The flare is powerful and it can shoot me up a few feet if I don't time it properly. Landings are softer, but I've yet to experience a tippy toe one:)
Toggle turns - they are not as aggressive as they as they used to be, but once it gets going, it goes. Now if you really need to bank hard, just go for the rear risersB|

Rear risers - much flatter glide and really helps to conserve altitude:)
Front risers - I couldn't tell the difference. Still... Starts out slow then it goes. Let it up, and you're back to normal flight.

Disclaimer: I'm loading my Diablo ~1.23

One problem I'm having on all my 5 jumps with the improvements is that I get whipped a full 360 sometimes. No line-twists though. So I'm thinking it might be my packing:$[:/] and I roll my tail tight to get the soft openings.

Any advice?

Glad your Diablo is flying well for you. They must have made some nice improvements since I taded mine in. As far as the openings, instead if just rolling the hell out of the nose in one direction, try rolling half the nose toward the middle leaving the center cell free and then rolling the other half of the cells toward the middle. When the canopy opens, it should distribute the air flow evenly, making for a more on heading opening. Give it a try and let me know how it works.
Que sera sera

One problem I'm having on all my 5 jumps with the improvements is that I get whipped a full 360 sometimes.

So what you are saying, It opened on heading? :P
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I had a Diablo 135 and for a about 150 jumps i loved it , then slowly over time i found it harder and harder to land , I had the lines checked and found that the brake lines had shrunk almost 4 ", After putting a new set of brake lines on it was fine again but by then i found a another canopy .At A/R they told me that the brake lines should be replaced at about 200 jumps ,(something wrong there ) my Cobalt has 600 jumps on it now and is still in trim !

At A/R they told me that the brake lines should be replaced at about 200 jumps ,(something wrong there ) my Cobalt has 600 jumps on it now and is still in trim !

I believe it's because the brake lines on these canopies are made of 2 different materials. I've read somewhere that spectre tends to stretch whereas vectran tends to shrink, or was it the other way around:S:)

So what you are saying, It opened on heading?:P

My idea of on-heading is on-heading. None of that donut horse shit:P

try rolling half the nose toward the middle leaving the center cell free and then rolling the other half of the cells toward the middle. When the canopy opens, it should distribute the air flow evenly, making for a more on heading opening. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

I think you might be on to something.:) that's why.

Spectra shrinks. If the brake lines shrink enough, the tail will be pulled down slightly and forward speed will be lost since you are flying in Partial brakes. There is nothing wrong with the lines. It happens on all Spectra lined canopies. If the brakes started out with out that tolerance in mind, that would be the problem. Trim is much more than just brake lines. 4 inches is not unusual, nor is 6 inches. This is happening even on the cobalt. The shrinkage was probably accounted for when when choosing a toggle attachment.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto