Deuce

Tailgate Exits (Was - What filters do you use?)

Beautiful photo. Gorgeous sky. I really love that plane.

Q, where do you exit from out of that ramp? It looks like it would be pretty crowded right at the edge of the deck. Are you squished over to one side or backpacking one of the base, or what?

If its anything like what I do and my teacher tought me... its the hug a side and backpack the base and not a floater. I've been caught backpacking a floater and did I ever look stupid :S.

I am courious to how others treat tailgates...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Typical Skyvan type exit.

Camera flyer on right side of door holding on to a small strap by the door. Right foot at far right edge of door frame. Left hand steadys on back of closest jumper. Left foot trails. Lean as far back as you can manage without falling off. Do not jump up to exit as you'll smack your cameras into the door above you. Go on go. Do NOT leave early or you will be blown back and far away from the base. Takes awhile to get this exit as the airstream hits your body asymetrically from bottom to top and you'll naturally want to tumble quite a bit on exit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Typical Skyvan type exit.

You Perris people kill me. ;)

I did have the pleasure of teaching a Perris jumper a "typical Cessna strut type exit":ph34r:

We've got a Van coming out for our Byron Boogie, I'll be giving that a try. Thanks for the description, I was wondering how that was done. Great shot.

Left foot trails

I've found that trailing the right foot works better for me. Makes it easier (for me anyway) to stay "squared up" on exit instead of twisting slightly to my right on exit.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

The only problem I've had with trailing the right foot is that if I place my left foot in the middle of the door, somebody invariably wants to step on it or kick it while they're shuffling the base back towards the edge.

By having the right foot in the corner of the door and having the left one trail, nobody ever seems to want to push me off prematurely. ;)
quade -

Thats why my left goes on the right edge of the ramp while holding the door with the right, left hand on the rig, right trailing. I take up less gate area this way, stayed squared up more (IMO) and can swing the right lefg to drive the exit with out having to worry about swinging it into someone.

It took going to Rantoul for me to learn a side door exit properly. I had the tailgate exit learned on my first 15 camera jumps. :P
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I did have the pleasure of teaching a Perris jumper a "typical Cessna strut type exit"

If I ever visit up there -- maybe you can do the same for me!

In addition to being The World's Most Boring Skydiver, I'll also admit to being one of the most spoiled when it comes to aircraft. I'll bet I don't have more than a half dozen jumps that aren't from a Twin Otter or Sky Van.

I really should get some more variety in my life.

I suck.
quade -

Have ya tried Smirnoff Ice? ;)

Oh wait, thread hijack in progress. Gotta stop doing that.

Actually, the reason I broke off the thread was because it seems like a reasonable thing to do. I know some other moderators like to crack the whip, but I allow a lot more thread drift unless it's really obvious that the information should be split for the betterment of all mankind (or at least somebody trying to find information).
quade -

In addition to being The World's Most Boring Skydiver, I'll also admit to being one of the most spoiled when it comes to aircraft. I'll bet I don't have more than a half dozen jumps that aren't from a Twin Otter or Sky Van.

I really should get some more variety in my life.

I suck.

Wanna try that Cessna exit again, Paul?;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'd have to agree and add an extra angle:
I have my free left hand on the floaters rigg and go on go. At that moment i gently push myself away from the floater. It imperative that you go on max wings to get above the formation instantly....

Tomppa

Phree - we're talking Casa tailgate here too. I think it's easier to get the left foot on the corner of the ramp, and hang the right foot out side to the side. There's wall there on the skyvan, you can't "be invisible" as easily.

Well, we'll be doing some big way stuff out of the visiting Van in a couple of weeks, and this will come in handy.

Our local big-way gury, Gareth, had some pictures from the Hercules boogie that were stunning. There's like 16 people across the back of the ramp on that thing and they are launching just incredibly huge chunks.

Any of you have any experience with that? I've heard that the blast going out is very forceful. I'm also wondering at that speed if you went at full wings you could climb to a higher altitude than the Hercules for a moment.

Do you guys who regularly exit Vans and Casas go from the right side of the ramp because you're right handed, or because your camera is on the left side?

Do you guys who regularly exit Vans and Casas go from the right side of the ramp because you're right handed, or because your camera is on the left side?

Both

I'm also wondering at that speed if you went at full wings you could climb to a higher altitude than the Hercules for a moment.

I'm guessing a max-track would give you a better chance at that, the wings would just get the plane away from your horizontally quicker.

If found using the wings right off the gate is bad... it pulls me away from the falling group and puts me to low and to far out to stayin that position. Right on exit I go to max track on the hill, wings in, toes pointed and tracking. I track up the hill while the group falls under me. Then as I'm tracking to position I stop just a bit early and coast to the slot.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm also wondering at that speed if you went at full wings you could climb to a higher altitude than the Hercules for a moment.

I know with a (Bird-Man) Wing-Suit you can get quite a bit above the aircraft (100 ft or so)...that's going with full wings immediately upon high speed exit. Spreading the wings on a camera suit would get you further away from the formation. However, in most cases, proximity to the chunk is more important than distance above it on exit.
--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Deuce,

as you are jumping in Byron, talk to Chris deBar regarding video-exits from the Herc. He gave me some good advice during the last Herc-Boogie.

Oh, and say hello to him from me...

Klaus

OK "Klaus from Germany from the last Herc-boogie" I'll ask him and pass that along.

Last week I did a hybrid with him, me, Gareth and Mad-John in the base with two hangers and three floaters. He's an astounding flyer. When he turns final on that new canopy you can hear it a quarter mile away.