martz

Chin strap

I have the bonehead chincup and I removed the original fastex clip strap from the helmet. I understand that the rachet on the bonehead is dependant on a single little spring, but I was more concerned with dumping the helmet in case of a high speed problem.

If you leave the original strap on the helmet, be sure to practice removing it in the proper order: fastex clip first, rachet second. If you remove the rachet first the fastex clip could dig into your neck making it almost impossible to unclip.

Stay safe
JC

I have both. It's possible to whack the ratchet release and the chincup is suddenly only hooked on one side. This has happend to me three times in about a hundred camera jumps. If I didn't have the regular chinstrap I might have lost my camera(s).

I remove my straps ratchet first, then fastex. The way my Hawkeye fits, it's faster for me to do in that order, and I don't think it will be harder to get off in that order. I think it depends on how your helmet fits you, and how the straps lay on your neck.

I have both too (had the fastex, added Bonehead chincup). I also feel a helluva lot better having both straps. I do have both straps on a single cutaway system though (cutaway handle located on back of helmet). As promised to Erno I'll post pics of it (soon I swear).

While I appreciate the need to be able to get the helmet off quickly in an emergency I also would hate to lose the helmet accidentally because a single strap broke or came loose.

Will

I do have both straps on a single cutaway system though (cutaway handle located on back of helmet). As promised to Erno I'll post pics of it (soon I swear).

I want to get thoses pictures too.

How is it made ??? Someboday has a picture of another cutaway system ???

Thanks

Sorry it took so long. Here are a couple of pics. The first one is of the back of the helmet showing the cutaway handle (swage). The second shows the loop over the kevlar cables. As you will see in the second pic both straps are on a single cutaway. Its simple and it works (yes I have tested it with strain on the helmet). They were happy for me to jump it at the Swedish Friflaj festival and you know how strict those Scandinavians can be! ;)

Will

2loop.jpg

1helmetback.jpg