youngin17

how changes is altitude effect canopies

I was wondering if could recieve an good opinion or an opinion from someone in Colorado what kind of changes in flight and landing can i expect on my Crossife 2 119. I am moving to Colorado Springs in June. I live in texas now.

I moved from TX to CO last year. Expect a faster speed, similar to a Crossfire2 97-ish, longer recovery arc, harder openings (not a problem with a Crossfire), Higher stall speed and less lift. It will take a bit more toggle input to get the canopy to plane out. The overall effect is similar to downsizing a size or two.

Hook

This is what I was told when jumping in Denver (5280 ft) for the 1st time. Expect your canopy to fly similar to a canopy two sizes smaller, compared to sea level. Of course with 68 jumps at the time, I did not have your experience. I was fine with a no wind landing. I was prepared and cautious. You probably would not want to show off your swooping skills for the first few jumps! By the way, don't ask for oxygen, even though you're at 19,000ft msl, they'll laugh at you. Don't worry though, they'll wake you up on jump run.:ph34r:

By the way, don't ask for oxygen, even though you're at 19,000ft msl, they'll laugh at you. Don't worry though, they'll wake you up on jump run.:ph34r:

Oxygen? what's that? And yes I'll wake you as soon as I wake myself up. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

By the way, don't ask for oxygen, even though you're at 19,000ft msl, they'll laugh at you.

I would say ask for oxygen anytime you think you need it. Better to be safe.

But we do have a problem with SOME people ;) using oxygen to recover from the previous night's festivities.

I went from jumping at my home DZ (Weston-on-the-Green) at about 500ft ASL to Eloy which I think is at about 1500ft ASL, the changes in air density due to altitude and weather made a huge difference to me. I was very glad that people had warned me about it, came in a lot faster and the flare wasn't as effective as I was used to.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Could have been as I hadn't jumped for a couple of months that I noticed it so much. What was worse was coming back to the UK, so much more flare i almost took myself back up;)!!! Just glad it was all back to normal this weekend.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Great question !

I am wanting to make another Colorado trip this June and would really like to skydive there this time. I haven't in the past due to either flying and have a lot of stuff planned. This time it would be great to just jump a couple days and spend a couple days hiking in the mtns. Mmmm... Colorado.

If you live in Colorado... I am jealous of you so much. LOL
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

By the way, don't ask for oxygen, even though you're at 19,000ft msl, they'll laugh at you. Don't worry though, they'll wake you up on jump run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it against FAA rules? (having no oxygen above 15,000ft MSL).

It has to "available" to the passengers. Whether or not it is avaible is up for debate, if the pilot has the only tube in his mouth.

And yes you will get made fun of if you ask for O2. It depends on the aircraft, but I haven't seen one with O2 at each seating location, only a bottle up by the pilot. Some have multiple tubes coming off the regulator, making it easy for jumpers to get O2 if they want it, other don't. Some DZO's would rather not spend the time and money getting them refilled often, hence the attitude of not wanting to give jumpers O2. Depening on how you interprit the FAR's, "Available" should mean a tube of O2 available to each jumpers.

Hook

My advice is wait 2 weeks or so before jumping when you 1st get here, then needing O2 shouldn't be such a big deal. If you are moving to Colorado Springs come out and visit hooknswoop and me at Skydive the Rockies

As for the crossfire (I have a 104)....it searches more on opening, the openings are a little harder, but it seems to take a bit longer to open.
Fly it like you stole it!