AndyMan

11 Megapixel Camera anyone?

It seems like it's time to upgrade ALREADY.

Slashdot has the scoop, Cannon announces the camera, then retracts it. Aparently it wasn't supposed to be announced for another two weeks. Regardless, it's real. No indication yet on price.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/11/2255210&mode=thread&tid=126

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

take a good 35mm still camera, pro qulaity film, with a top of the line negative scanner....guess what, you will get 2-3 times the resolution of the 11 meg camers. Think it's a move in the right direction, but not as "wonderful" as it looks.

If you read the postings in the slashdot article I posted, most of the camera geeks agreed the resoution of most consumer grade 35mm cameras is about 13 Megapixels. That makes this one pretty close...

What this will do for sure, is make the current batch of 6 megapixel cameras a whole lot more affordable. I just wish the digital SLR's were affordable, but this is also only a matter of time.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

A.M.,
congrats on the nice find. Does "[font "Arial"]Foveon X3 Technology" have anything to do with the fast jumps in quality in the last 6-8 months? Do you, or anyone, know when or if the X3 chips might make it into consumer cameras?[/font]
[font "Arial"]Anyway it goes the quality puts my Coolpix 995 to shame as well as standard def video...[/font]
[font "Arial"]Smooth landings... Matt[/font]

the x3 chip is in the Sigma S9 (3+MP)... I have not heard of a 6MP (or larger) version yet... The challenge with the increase in resolution will be the increase in file size... high cap CF cards are still not cheap... the camera's buffers need to keep up as well... write time is already a problem with many cameras.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I'm with you %100 man. My point being that 11 meg isn't at all uncommon (in reference to "seems like a lot of friggn' res..... us Spy planes and such).
you don't need an sr71, U2, or spy satalite to get 11 meg res.... infact you can get it for 4 bucks when you buy a throw away camera at the drug store.
thats all'
Z