miller

flat-top pro quick release - news

I received my flat-top pro from bonehead a few days back, and to my suprise it came standard with an emergency cut-away system. I bring this up because there was a thread regarding this very subject a few weeks ago.

Anyway, without too much detail, the system is basically a "one-ring release." Pull the handle (attached near the right jaw line on the helmet), extract the yellow cable through a loop routed around a single ring, and then the loop releases the plastic ladder strap from the "bone."

Both sides of the actual closing mechanism stay attached to the helmet after cutting away (ie the bone stays attached to the hinge on the right side of the helmet, and the ladder strap stays clicked into the retention mechanism on the left side of the helmet). The release actually separates the ladder strap from the bone. It's very simple and clean. I'll post pictures eventually.

Once again, thumbs up to the wonderful folks at Bonehead for a great product.

Mike

Yes! that sounds like it (I was the one starting the other thread)
Next to pictures, can you also say something about how 'upgradable' it looks? So do you think older flat-top's can be changed with this new option? or do I have to buy a whole new helmet (augh...)

I'm attempting to post a few pictures.

As far as older versions of the flat-top being upgraded, I am going to go out on a limb and assume you can purchase a new "bone" equipped with the cut-away system and replace the old one. It may take a little fooling around with, but I don't think it would be that difficult.

Also, check out the left side ratchet mechanism attachment point. The helmet is actually contoured around it now, and there's a shield (red piece) to prevent accidentally releasing the ladder strap.

I'll post additional pictures of the helmet when it's all put together.

Mike

sorry about the giant size that comes up when you click on the attachments. I mistakenly posted the wrong ones. But at least you get to see the damn thing up close.

flat top 1a.jpg

flat top 2a.jpg

I just got one yesterday...if you had the parts, an upgrade would be pretty easy, drill a few holes and away you go. One downside is; there is no longer a 'ratchet' mechanism for snugging up the helmet. All you can do is push the strap into the lock, and thats it. I havent jumped the cutaway system yet, but I think it may be more of a preference than actual improvment in fuction. If you are proficient at escaping from any of boneheads earlier designs, the cutaway handle is not going to save you any time because you have to clear a bungee tie down before the strap will release. It looks on first glance like you "pull the handle and the helmet goes away - thats not the case. You have to clear the cutaway handle, THEN pull the helmet off of your head. After picking mine up today I did a few 'practice runs' with it and it is much easier to take of my other bonehead. Maybe I just need some practice. Also... once you pull it free, it is a pain in the butt to put back together unless you have little bitty fingers. In my opinion, if the same system was incorporated into the hinge it would make a bigger difference. I am not worried about "losing parts" if I have to pull the cutaway handle. If I have to 'escape' from my helmet, then I have just made a consious desicion that to DESTROY my entire system if need be to save myself. Thats what insurance is for... I have found that assembling the system without using the bungee does make it come apart a little easier without hurting the overall security of the locking system. Like I said, I havent jumped it yet, and since it is a "work helmet" it wont get jumped until I get done with "vacation" next week.

just my 2 cents... I could be wrong

OK I guess it is time I chime in...........

I was waiting on pics before I post.
William, Actually, with the weight of a human hanging and being flung around under the helmt there is no need to release the bungee. That is just a guide for the strap mechanism so it doesn't slop around. That is why the bungie is not tight.

The earlier style FlatTop, when exerting pressure on the push release mechanism (pulling it apart simulating pressure on the bone) the push button is hard to push in.

If you really like the old style better and haven't jumped the new I can probably help you out there.

Have a great weekend!

jeanie
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

Yes, we thought of that. And a replacement Bone, hardware and easy instructions will be included in the upgrades. I will let you all know when we are ready with the upgrades. It may take a month......

jeanie
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

Had a friend pull the cutaway to see how it works and I am not sure how it goes back together --- it looks like the cutaway system in the pic above but I am not sure ---- is there a hole supposed to be drilled in the ratchet strap right next to the grommet hole to update the system?

Please help I have no info as I bought the helmet used -- and I can't seem to find any other info from BH or doing searches on here

Thanks

PS the bone has 2 grommets and the ratchet only has one grommet and a hole drilled in it about 2 inches from the grommet

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid