mountainman

what FireWire card to get?

Hey there, everyone.

I have a question for you: what FireWire DV Capture card do you all recommend? I want something that will be PCI and no more than $200. If you can give me some good leads and your thoughts on the items, that would be most excellent!

Thank you very much for your help and please include links.

Thanks. :)
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

I just picked up what the cheapest one at the local computer superstore had it for. I got a white box, unlabled card for about $22. You don't need a $200 card to get DV video transfered to your PC from the tape. Pretty much any card will work, and PCI is also pretty much the only interface in the PC that can deal with the 400mbs that a firewire can do. ISA is too slow, and AGP..well... it won't work for a lot of reasons.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

One thing to look for on the cheapie IEEE-1394 (Firewire) cards is to make sure it is OHCI (Open Host Controller Interface) compliant. Almost all current IEEE-1394 cards are but there are some older ones on the market.

If it isn't compliant there are some editing programs that won't work with it. Adobe Premiere comes to mind...

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I snagged a card from CompUSA for like $39 yesterday - PCI formfactor with a 6 to 4 pin (PC to Camcorder) Firewire cable and some silly editting software. It was a predominately green box from a company called SIIG, simply label IEE 1394 across the top. Seems to work fine with Premiere with my PC101.