SniperCJ

How long before you felt video proficient?

How many camera jumps had you done before you felt like you were proficient in camera jumping? 20? 50? 200??
Sometimes I feel like I'm getting the hang of it and other times I go crashing through a formation (during a 4-way meet no less..)
On another topic...Do you have booties on your camera suit?
Blues
JC

It toook me a while before I felt I was worth the money they were paying me to shoot tandems. One thing that helps is too look at the video other people shoot and compare that way. Four way is a lot tougher than people give it credit for so don't feel bad. As far as funnelling the four way, that has to happen. The idea is to get tight and steep on the formation so no grips are missed. At the same time you are supposed to keep the heading so the team can see if they are spinning, tough stuff. One person told me to not wear gloves so you can feel the edge of the burble with your fingers to keep from pancaking them. Even then, I have seen video of Arizona Airspeed and the Golden Knights where the videographer has come through the team.
I have booties on my wing suit but not on the freefly suit I use to shoot tandems, PM if you want a longer description of why I do that.
As far as a number, closer to 50 to 100 for me, but that's just me. i am pretty damn critical of my own stuff. Hope that helps, keep clicking.
Drewfus McDoofus

700 camera jumps and I still suck!
Yes, 4-way is a lot harder than most people give it credit.
One thing I did manage to learn about 4-way exits though -- if you think you're going to whack into the team, then don't give up. Stretch out your wings and get as big as you can as quickly as you can.
I know, that sounds obvious, but a lot of folks instictively put their hands in front of them to try to deflect the blow, Once you put your hands in front of you, you're no longer flying. By stretching out your wings and getting big, you'll lessen the impact or maybe not hit them at all.
quade
http://futurecam.com

Good, I dont feel too bad now.
Ive done practice runs with tandems and felt pretty good about some of them.
Ive been doing video for my gf's 4-way team and Ive only hit them once and of course it was during the meet. It was explained by another camera guy like this: "If you havnt hit them yet, youre not close enough yet."
JC

One thing I did manage to learn about 4-way exits though -- if you think you're going to whack into the team, then don't give up. Stretch out your wings and get as big as you can as quickly as you can.

Also, in addition to getting your wings inflated, dearch to cup air and side slide into a piece of open air that the team's not in. (I have to use this additional technique since my 'baby wings' don't do much for deflecting air.
You get great launches when the team gives you a rhythmic and good count as well. :)5' 10", 135# 4-way cameraflyer,
ltdiver
PS...yeah...I wear lead as well as wings! ;)

Its not really about jump numbers. When you can fly yourself where yo want to be without having to think about it your probably ready to get started. Take it slow and dont try and video jumps you wouldnt want to jump on without a camera. Also falling through a formation isnt bad too get the best coverage on a team so you catch all the points you need to be as steep as possible and this takes a long time to learn to fly the burble. And the only way to find out how to do that is to fall. Sometimes you can catch it and wit a little practice you will learn it.
Ray Dutch
Team FROST
Hook low Flare late