fonzi

question for the veterans

hi @ll,
i'm right about to start with videoflying. as the equipment is not very cheap and i do not want to crash an expensive cam right on the start, i was wondering if my old one is good for starting out.
i got a SONY HI8 TR705E. of course i know that editing and all that postjumping stuff is very limited, but that's not the question. i only would like to know wether it is possible to take some vidoes on a jump with that cam, or if it is not worth even a try.
what have all you veterans out there done before the digital-age???
is the cam capable of the speed and tough enough for openings etc.?
once learned how to fly with a cam on my head i will get into digitals 4 sure, but for the moment it would be great if the old machine would do it for a season and take some decent shots of my friends and me ;-).
experinced people here in europe are rare and therefor i hope that u guys, beeing the natives in our sport could give me some reports about the good old days.
bsbd,
fonzi

life is to short for the pimp :)

Fonzi,
I started jumping with 8mm, moved up to Hi8, for a very brief time, and have jumped digital for the last 5 years or so.
Jumping an analogue camera is not particularly different from a digital, the main difference being the physical size of the cam, camera weights are comparable. Analogue cams are a little more prone to tape flutter caused by wind entering the cam, so taping up the camera or enclosing it in a box is a must. As the cam is quite big you will need to top mount it. On opening you will nearly always get soem tape flutter, this is normal,apart from that the camera is probably robust enough to take jumping.
You don't mention how many jumps you have, or what type of flying you intend to do, I would not recommend you start jumping cams till at least 200 js, don't be too ambitious at the start, and learn to fly your body in whatever dicipline you are intending to film.
The quality of the camera will not make a big difference to how you fly your body, you will still get some great looking footage from your camera (I've seen freefall footage from Hi8 cams broadcast by the BBC). Its how you fly the camera that is important, so don't think that buying the latest DV kit will get you better pictures. My advice would be to seek out a camera flier at your home DZ and try and learn all you can from him/her. Remember, bolting a camera to your head introduces a whole new set of risks, so be very careful, and read all you can on this forum, theres some great advice from earlier posts here....
"experinced people here in europe are rare"
I would disagree with that statement, some of the best camera fliers I have seen are Europeans eg Simon Ward, Adrian Nicholas, Henny Wiggers, Bruno Brokken, Willy Boyekins, etc.....No offence meant to my American and Antipodean chums...
Cya
D

Fonzi, The above is very good advice. Just curious as to why you don't list a home DZ, license, or number of jumps on your profile? This information can be important as it relates to the type of advice the good folks on this NG can give you. If you are just starting out, my best advice is to do the majority of your jumps at the same DZ where people know you and your abilities. I would also buy beer for the more experienced camerafliers at your DZ and pick their brains for advice at your experience level. You will find most more than willing to share their knowledge with you. They can also help you set up your camera and helmet so you can reduce the probability of a line snag as well as make recommendations regarding accessories. Believe me, it much less expensive to seek out good guidence from experienced people than to make the mistakes on your own.
Bob

I think starting out with your own gear is a great idea. There has been a lot posted about the ins and outs of starting out in camera flying. Ask questions is the key. If you are thinking about doing something wierd (filming openings is a great example) ask first. Ask here if no where else. I agree with what was said above: show your gear to someone before jumping it. Tandem masters are great information sources as well for new videographers.
If you are pretty sure you are going to get into it, get a good helmet. I have a batrak and love it, cheaping out on helmets, while not fatal or too bad, can cost you when you upgrade in a year or less.
Drewfus McDoofus

hi nacmacfeegle, gravitymaster and airdrew20012001
first of all I'm always impressed how fast one can get qualified answers in this forum. i do not post a lot but follow the posts in all categories in here very freequently. i think i have to get some things right.
i have 126 jumps now and it will take some min. 50-70 more before i really do a jump with cam on my head. i do quite well in rw and ff, according to what the peolpe on my dz say. before starting skydiving i had some 1100+ paragliding flights. my homedz is in southern bavaria around munich and as i assume more than 90% of the people in this forum here are us citizens they wouldn't even know where it is. i have a german daec (see www.daec.de if you know some german ;-)) licence. when i said that there is not many experienced people here in europe, i did not want to offend any of them (just in case they are reading this) what i meant is, that at my hdz is just a limited n° of cameraflyers, and it is not like in the us. we just jump on weekends, small planes (cessnas, pilatus pc6) and therefor there is not as much people to talk to as in the us on dz's, for not everybody is there every weekend.
i'm aware of all the new aspects on security and try to enlarge my very personel horizon as much as possible. reading this forum, books, contacting people and discussing probs and questions. i'm actually more the "i-want-to-know-it-all-before-i-start-something-type-of-guy" ;-).
the question on the SONY CCD TR705E was more on the technical side. like "dont't do it fonz, the cam is not tough enough etc." actually it is not mine, yet. but this weekend im going to visit my parents in the very north of germany, and knowing that my dad is not using the cam anymore, i wandered wether i should take it with me and start to make a plan on how to fix it on the helmet, adjust angles and so on. i thought, that if it was ok to start with, then it would be nice to have the helmet and the cam in hands, when starting to discuss with people on how to mount it. topfixing was quite clear as it is bigger then the digis. i did not want to take it with me and discover that it was no good for flying at all. then i'd rather leave it with my dad for his evry once in 3 years shots ;-).
but if i get you right, you a) don't know the model in detail, but b) don't doubt that it will work. this is already the next step for me, ask dad to give it to me for free ;-). (and i bet he will)
so thx again, and be sure that i will take my time before i get really into it.
buy the way, any further help or hints are always very welcome.
(see the jpeg of the cam, just in case you are interested )
bsbd,
fonzi

"assume more than 90% of the people in this forum here are us citizens"
I'm UK, only stuck in Houston temporarily.
I've jumped in Germany at Rhine, and Padderborne (Bad Lippspringe, or RAPA the British Army place), there are some very good jumpers at both these DZs.
Don't worry about coming from small DZs, there are often guys at these places that have a great deal of experience. Smaller DZs are generally quite friendly, and have a 'club' feel. This is cool because they are generally more open with advice, and probably have more time to spend with you, than say guys who are filming 10+ tandems a day every day.....Its not because they are rude or anything like that, they are just very busy guys and girls.
I know at least two guys in Scotland (Graham Harris, and Sandy Mcrobbie) who jump at a cessna DZ, and who were in Anapa on the Black Sea where they built the worlds largest RW formation 297........Don't underestimate the people who jump at smaller DZ s is the point I'm trying to make.:)As for the cameras suitability for flying, it looks fine to me B|, next thing is to start thinking about the helmet, mounting method, camera protection, sights, cutaway system etc.
So please speak to whoever you can at your home DZ when you are thinking of building/buying a helmet, they will save you a lot of pain, and probably a lot of money too.B|.
Nearly all the camera people I have ever met, and I do know quite a few, would be more than willing to take a newbie under their wing and help you along.
As is said here often, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Happy snapping,
Auf Weidersehen
Cya
D

Camera looks fine, check to see if it has digital stabilization on it. Your first videos will be shaky as all get out, don't be frustrated. It gets better with time. I use a d-box but I am almost positive they don't make one that will work for your camera. I have seen people make covers from wet suit material that work nice. Make sure to fashion some sort of strap as back up.
Feel free to email me if you have specific question you want answered. Use this posting forum. PACK YOUR MAIN TO OPEN SLOW!!
Drewfus McDoofus

Hi Fonzi,
I don't agree either that there are no good camflyers in your area, if I understand right you are from Bavaria. When I was still in Germany I was jumping in Ampfing (went also to the Freefly Festival), if you can GO THERE!!!
They have a Skysurf and a Freestyle Champion (with cameraman) and some good Freeflyers. I think these guys can give you a lot of input.
My advice: wait a little bit longer until you start jumping a camera and make sure that you jump proper equipment and don't trade safety for money.
blues

Asking questions is the best place for you to start doing video and I am glad to see that you are not above asking any question.
The Hi8 camera will do quite well for you. As somebody else mentioned tape up all areas where air could get into the camera. This is the biggest cause of camera flutter and it makes a big difference in finished video.
Use Gaffers tape when taping as you will be untaping and taping a lot. Pay close attention to the cassette door. I believe a lot of air gets in there.
As for coming from a small DZ, no worries mate. Most jumpers come from small dropzones. And a lot of the jumpers at big dz's came from small dz's too.
Keep learning and keep asking questions.
Danger

Actually you can very easily convert analog video to digital by running it through a converter directly into your computer. The easiest and best bang for your buck device is called the Holleywood Dazzle analog converter for $250.00 US. Check out www.smalldog.com for info.
-Rap

you guys are really great, and therefore i keep asking ;)
to avoid fluttering you suggest tapeing every tiny whole where air might get in. what about the neopren solution. beeing a scuba diving instructor (retired after 8 years and not diving professionally anymore, just for fun, now i made a kind of 180° turn up, been down enough) i got plenty of neopren in my cellar from old suits. i do no how to get that stuff together in nearly every form, would that be enough or do i need to tape anyway. or what about a condom (thick rubber removeable for the purpose of battery change e.g.) on the whole cam? extra straps are a must, sounds logical to me!
you are quite right about the professionals in ampfing. unfortunately it is really far from my house, other dzs are much closer. another aspect is that all my mates aren't jumping in ampfing for they feel the atmosphere there quite ... lets say it this way, the guys in ampfing know they are good and may let at feel the newbies. i've never been there but might give it a try.
on the gear forum i posted a link to freelfy.cz do you think the mindwarp copy (click equipment/news) would be good to start with as a helmet? of course lots of modifications must be made, chincup and a platform, but the price is unbeatable. i got a friend who is sailing races, he could do me anything with epoxy (we call it gfk, glass fiber stuff to fix boats) e.g. a topmount platform.
bsbd,
fonzi

Yup, a neoprene jacket would do fine, all the better if you have some around, and know how to build a 'shroud'. The neoprene will also protect the cam from light knocks etc that you are bound to give it as you are climbing out the door etc....Commercially available 'camera condoms' are generally made from neoprene.
I don't know an awful lot about glass fibre working though, somebody else here is bound to know.....
Cya
D

For your kind of camera you might need a helmet where you can mount the cam on the top. So a flat-top helmet would be much better.
Give Ampfing a try, I went there with only 30 jumps and they helped me a lot especially Ulli, I did a few video jumps with him (Some of them I even had to pay).
So the best thing would be to go there and get your own impression. Sometimes you have to travel a little bit to get new ideas about flying. I don't know how many hours I spend on the German Autobahn to go to a other dropzone.
blues

sorry for replying late. has to spend the weekend with the fam.
another question should be the max weight of the cam. now that i got the cam in hand, i realized, that it has with the battery, 1.1 kg. would that be to much?
grosfion. i will for sure give ampfing a try this summer. ;-)

bsbd,
fonzi

my helmet weighs 10 lbs. (4.5 kg)...

well i mine would weigh about 2kg with the cam, that makes less than 50% of yrs and me quite convinced that my neck will stand it ;)
as i jump a geman "spark 170" from performance variable i do not bother for slow and soft openings at all. several people have jumped my rig and some had already the hands on handles ready to cut and pull reserve. it opens so soft :D and i'm very pleased and used to it.
oh, i gorgot to ad the weigh of the mounting works to be done (epoxy or bracket or what ever :() but i do not think that i will exceed 2.5kg
bsbd,
fonzi