Tee

Live video???

It's possible.
The Golden Knights have used a portable microwave system for demos and live TV shots. Tom Sanders used a microwave transmitter attached to is left foot for the opening ceremonies of the Seoul Olympics.
There are several systems out there that I'd like to take a shot at experimenting with, but for the average skydiver/videographer, it's not financially practical for anything other than well funded events like the opening ceremonies of the Olympics or something like that.
quade
http://futurecam.com

Isn't there something like a 5-6 Ghz transmitter available for this very purpose, or is the range just way too small?
In "Enemy Of The State" Gene Hackman walks into a corner shop and buys a fistful of 'em, or was this just 'artistic license' like certain freefall sequences.....;)
Cya
D

Frequency and range aren't the problem.
The problem is the cost.
I've done a fair amount of research into what would make an acceptable system -- analog transmission is right out because of multi-path and signal fading. The way to go is CODFM.
The guys over at KABC have been fooling around with with a back-pack unit that works really well -- non-line of sight -- very powerful and because it's digital there's no ghosting or other crappy signal degradations. Unfortunately, the batteries for this thing weight about 10 pounds and the unit costs about 30k. Fine if you're a news crew or, like me, want to adapt it for live TV shots from moving vehicles (think roller coasters). Sucks if you want to take it skydiving.
I know of another system being used by NASA for live TV from EVA packs to the ISS, but well, that's even MORE expensive.
quade

In "Enemy Of The State" Gene Hackman walks into a corner shop and buys a fistful of 'em, or was this just 'artistic license' like certain freefall sequences.

I didn't see the movie, but if it's anything like most spy movies, then the performance they showed out of miniature transmitters bought at something like a Radio Shack was -probably- greatly exaggerated.
To do it right, ya need to spend some coin and going down to Radio Shack ain't gonna cut it.
quade

I have to make a point here.
In fact, the first live air to ground was (and still is) an analog system designed by an unknown genius named Andrevideo (you pronounce his last name - I ain't touchin' it!). He lives in Milkwaukee, no one outside of the midwest typically knows him, but he invented it. (Of course, he also helped invent MRI...as in hospital's Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
Any rate - he never patented the idea. But back in 1985 and 1986 I saw him sending live TV to his van at Skydive Sandwich - looooong before anyone else mastered it.
It was - and is - an analog RF signal.
Too many details to post, but it is slick.
Robbie Culver

Robbie --
Yes, analog is possible. It's also, as I'm sure you're aware, very picky when it comes to things like being pointed in the right direction and antennas.
Heck, even Perris has it's own air-to-ground analog system, but it's very persnickity when it comes to pointing and I don't care very much for the size of the thing either.
What I've been looking into is something more forgiving and easier to deal with.
quade

Possible? Yes it it. We used it last year during Redbull Antigravity (www.redbullantigravity.pl). Sven Zimmerman jumped with a small transporder connected with his PC-100 and the video was transmitted directly to the huge flat panel for the audience. It worked very well.
Mariusz

Hello I am currently working with a 2.4GHZ Air to Ground Wireless Video System .The video and stereo audio output is from my Sony TRV20 video and audio out 3.5mm 4 conductor mini jack .The cost of this system is less than a good Sony mini-dv camcorder. You have to have a line of sight from the transmitter to the receiver to get the video signal. The transmitter and battery are in a small fanny pack that I wear on my waist so I can have the line of sight to the receiver antenna. The receiver antenna is sitting flat on my car roof. In my testing I have gotten a very good video signal from exit at 13,000ft. AGL to brake off at 3500ft. AGL. When the transmitter antenna does not have a line of sight with the receiver antenna the video signal will be lost.
I will keep you updated on my testing of this Air to Ground Wireless Video System.

Dave, your system sounds very similar to this
transmission system
Any loss in quality etc? and can you send me specs of your set up.....This has long been a 'holy grail' type of idea/pet project kinda thingy of mine....But I don't wanna spend the sort of money they are talking about..
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.