cameramonkey

DO NOT BUY MATROX VIDEO PRODUCTS!!!

I am usually not one to bash products, but this is one I gotta tell everyone about. This is my account of my experience with Matrox.
I purchased a Matrox RT2500 Real time, PC based digital video editor back several months ago. I started to install it into a system that I built (I am a professional PC/Network Tech). It wouldn’t quite work. I contacted tech support and was told flatly that it wasn’t their problem because I wasn’t using "approved" hardware. They immediately blamed my untested hardware and would not help (it wasn’t the hardware as you will see later). So, since I really wanted to get this $1000 non-returnable item working, I gave in and upgraded the system to be "approved".
After another call that lasted quite a while, they couldn’t quite figure out why it wasn’t working. They gave me a handful of things to try. I hung up and after tweaking it a bit, found the problem (system memory set for 100mhz instead of 133mhz). A month later I got the phone bill... $100 in international long distance @.89/min since they are located in Montreal, Canada. OUCH. At least now it works. (for now)
Bear in mind this is marketed as a professional grade product....
It ran GREAT for months. I set up the first day of the Richmond Boogie (WED) to start filming/editing tandems. I noticed that morning that the right audio out channel kept dropping. I thought it was a bad cable because I could tweak the connector and it would work for a few seconds then drop out again. In the process of tweaking, I found that the connector had come loose on the cable that runs to the PC. Well, actually the RCA jack came out completely from the breakout box, and due to the fact that its made by injecting plastic around the electronics, it was impossible to field repair.
SO, I called Matrox. I was told that I would have to send the cables, AND remove the card from the PC, and as soon as they got all the pieces they would return a "new" one to me (reconditioned product). I explained that this is an urgent situation, the card wasn’t defective, and needed to be brought up immediately, but was told they didn’t have a way to get the part replaced immediately. I gritted my teeth, and accepted the RMA. The tech gave me a number to call to get the RMA expedited if it was at all possible.
I called the number, and got the Matrox receptionist. She had no clue who to send me to, and that tech didn’t specify who to talk to. I gave up. On a side note, it took another 24 hours to actually get that RMA issued.
I then immediately started calling other departments at Matrox in order to just buy a new cable (its a proprietary cable). I finally talked to a person who could sell me one BUT... first he would have to talk to some people to find out how much to charge me, and what part number to actually use (they couldn’t figure it out). An hour or so later, he quotes me a price (it was fair). I just need to jot down a purchase order and fax it to them with my CC number. After several faxes since we had to do it JUST right (they don’t normally do this, so they didn’t have a form for me to use). I told them I needed it TOMORROW. They said no problem, they could overnight it to me. Finally 3 hours later, it was supposedly on its way. All better.... so I THOUGHT.
Thursday came and went and there were no packages for me. By the time I realized it wasn’t going to get there, Matrox was already closed. I was furious.
Friday morning arrived, and I called them first thing. The gentleman that was so helpful was out of the office, so after another 10 minutes they were able to find my order. He then proceeded to tell me that I would be getting the order late that day. It seems they had to overnight it from the Canada office to the USA warehouse in NY so THEY could send it to me.
WHAT?!?!?! Yes, you heard correctly. They couldn’t overnight it directly to me... the other warehouse had to do it. I was livid. I finally got the replacement cable that afternoon, and was back in business.
And here I sit 19 days later with no warranty part. I am currently fighting the RMA dept because they are having trouble figuring out how to replace JUST the cable. They still want to take me to take my system down for several weeks so I can lose productivity and send in a perfectly good card to replace only a cable.
I call them to see what is going on, and am told that "so-and-so (supervisor who needs to approve) is out of the office/busy/etc. and they will call me tomorrow." several days later I call, and they still don’t have an answer, but they will definitely call me the next day with an answer. Last count I had (last Monday) it was kinda approved, and they were trying to find one in their warehouse that they can send or get one from the other to send me. They use the excuse that they normally don’t do this, and that is why the process is running so slow. Slow is an understatement.
They claim this is a product aimed at professionals, but only provide consumer level support, and poor support at that. All other companies I deal with have advanced replacement options, if not individual part replacements. A professional can’t take down a system for weeks. They rely on it.
Soooo.... the bottom line is, as a product, it works great. BUT, if it ever breaks down, God help you.
On a personal note, the people I talk to are usually freindly and eager to help, but have their hands tied due to bad corporate policies.

Uh oh, now your DZO will get a phone call about you for this post! Sorry, bad personal experience with someone I'm apparently not allowed to discuss.
Anyway...I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you had with them. I, of course, read all this as Greek, but I have this huge issue with service. Even at McDonalds for heaven's sake. I am very forgiving of mistakes, or unforeseen problems, if the person/people live up to the mistake or inform me of the problem without blowing me off/lying/avoiding me. I don't think some companies realize that service is what will make or break them! My ex worked for a car company that I will now never ever buy a vehicle from because of the way things were handled on my own vehicles while he still even worked for them (and we were still married)! Geez, if you can't get good service out of your own employer for your own products, what does THAT say?!
Good luck to you!!
Hemp/skydiving jewelry pics!

OK, now I'm really curious - is that thread still available?!!! Sounds like you can't name names but gimme a clue!!

If I remember right (and I may not, it's been awhile) she had a problem with a container manufacture and publicly voiced her displeasure with the customer service she was experiencing.
Then, I saw these two guys swoopin across the pond, and I was like 'weeeeeee!!!!'

"she had a problem with a container manufacture and publicly voiced her displeasure with the customer service she was experiencing."

Then the owner of said manufacturing company called our DZO to "tell" on us... Pam left both her home & work #'s with the owner & she never heard from him... not an apology, an excuse, or even a simple "f**k you!" Truth is, he had no reason to be upset, Pam posted the simple facts & stated why she was displeased.... He was mad about the bad publicity he received, but bad publicity generally stems from bad service or personal vendettas... there were no personal attacks in the post from Pam.. you figure it out!
Sorry, Ugh... I've already said too much! LOL I'll quit now, this whole subject just gets us both fired up!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Well, after almost a month, MANY phone calls, and emails (including a nasty one to the president of Matrox) I FINALLY got some relief. Mr. UPS man just knocked on my door with a new cable. I guess that nasty email to the prez helped.
Still doesnt change my mind... will never buy from them again.

LOL@ Remi...RIGHT! We can't make too many jokes over here or we'll get "moderated." That sounds a lot like getting it where the sun doesn't shine, but its not that bad...hehe
Glad you got your problem worked out, Cameramonkey...funny, I was just looking at some Matrox stuff at work tonight, wondering about their quality...LOL At least you got it worked out.
The Freak Kitty
I lust for the ultimate rush...

latex, getting it where the sun dont shine AND LIKING IT.. this thread is really heating up! lol
I think lots of specialized tech equipment companies will have strange policies, or probably no policies at all and it will usually take some customer prodding (here we go again) to get things worked....
Remi
who used to work for a smallish specialized tech equipment company before it got bough out by a monster multinational who again this week anouced another 20,000 jobs cutback.... that'll be a total of 50K jobs this year! yaaaahooooo.... could be worse, could work for SwissAir or Sabena!
Remi
Muff 914