billvon

8 way exit sequencing

Got some good pictures of some solid 8-way exits that really show the dramatic differential sequencing you need to pull off consistent 8-way exits.

First picture shows the jamup. Note that rear outside and tail have dropped lower in the door. This does two things - it gets them lower to begin with (so they start out closer to their "final" locations) and it gives inside rear a little extra room to get her head out.

Exit1 shows the exit perhaps a tenth of a second after "GO." Rear two have already dropped off, anticipating the GO count. Inside rear is pushing hard to get out the door. Outside center has just released. Outside front has not yet released, and point still has a solid grip.

Exit2 shows the exit maybe a tenth of a second after that. Inside rear is all the way out. Outside front has released. Note that point is still hanging on and is beginning to launch UP, pushing off hard on her right leg.

Exit3 shows just after that. You can see the two rear floaters now below the floor of the plane and the point just beginning to let go.

The launch picture shows the launch maybe a half second out the door. Just as in the last picture, the point is high, two outside floaters are low and inside center is "leading" the other inside jumpers.

Great sequence of photos. I especially like exit 3. The inside rear diver (#10 on his helmet) has a great presentation to the relative wind coming through the door. I was in an airspeed camp some years ago and Craig stressed to me the importance of seeing the COMPLETE back side of your rig on video but even more important was pressing your hips through the bottem corner of the door. I always tried to focus on trying to stick my left hip into the bottem corner and keep my head up looking back up at the front floaters. Great job #10

Inside rear of door - I normally volunteer for that slot because it's easy to let others mess you up. Damn straight on your comments - present and hips down and through. Also

1 - you can't let the inside two in front of you force you to stand back at the bulkhead - you have to set the inside people's lineup angle or they will screw you over - rear doorframe hurts

2 - must figure out where feet go in the mockup, always the outside people seem to grow extra feet and they are all where you need to be (seems like 4 people with 11 feet (I expect 5 people to leave 5 feet in the door (1 each surprise), or even 4 if the rearrear can share the camera step) somehow end up standing there with exactly not enough room between their feet to put yours)

3 - if the rear of door outside can hang "away" from the door - my job is about 100 times easier to get my torso out before the count than if they are standing half inside the door

(these are mostly for pickup 8-way as they address problems that good team works out in the first weekend if they talk)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I normally volunteer for that slot because it's easy to let others mess you up.

Out of an XL - which has a slightly tighter door than the Otter - we do the following:

1- Rear diver is the first of the door crew to get in position.

2- Get your shoulders past the edge of the door. Should be plenty of room out there - the two rear floaters don't have to be pressed right against the 'plane.

3- Get out below the center inside diver.

Then the only way your exit can be screwed is if you go late, or leave your legs in the 'plane, which it looks like the jumper #10 is in danger of doing.