scroadload

Wacker Etiquette

:)

I suggest flying your slot and allowing the captains to reach their own conclusion that maybe you should be moved up.

It depends on the purpose of the dive. If it's a state record attempt, I would think that whoever's assigned a specific slot has to fly that slot. But good question, if all grips in the physical shape of the formation are there as shown on the pre-dive plan, then it's up to the captains and/or judges if it's approved.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Passing is taboo. Changing plans is taboo. Stay in your slot and follow the plan.

Someone that passes is demonstrating they aren't as good as they should be, not the other way around.

You want to demonstrate your skills? Then lurk the person you are following close and show you can do that without hindering him. Show you can dock on him the instant he does his dock and do it clean and soft.

In the end, though, if the organizer feels differently, then it's their call.

I'm not sure if being in the wrong slot, but still completing the formation correctly otherwise would invalidate a record attempt or not. I personally think it shouldn't count. Everyone should be in their assigned slot.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>would it be good if you came in 1st or 2nd making the rest move down
>the line or should fly your slot waiting for the others to arrive?

Generally no; such a move might get you cut from many record attempts/camps. Imagine the sight picture of someone who has to dock on YOU and is following you in. They expected to see Andy, Bob, Chris, Dave and you - and now they're approaching and seeing Andy, you, Bob, Chris and Dave. Do they dock next to Dave? Or you? Do they cut in front of the other four people to get next to you? Issues like that lead to collisions and non-completions.

Also, switching slots can cause problems with the breakoff plan and can make the second point (if planned) nearly impossible.

>This is not saying "look at me" but if the wacker's are slow to get
>there, one might wait a long time and not get in due to their failure.

True. But once you get beyond a certain skill level, flying your slot is more important than "getting in." Flying your slot, six inches off grips, waiting for the guy in front of you to get in is generally a lot more impressive to organizers than just "getting on" somewhere. It indicates they don't have to worry about you.

>I'm not sure if being in the wrong slot, but still completing the
>formation correctly otherwise would invalidate a record attempt or not.

There are picture perfect and slot perfect events. The World Team attempts were picture perfect; I think one French wacker had someone out of position one year, but the final picture matched the plan so we got it.

>There are picture perfect and slot perfect events. The World Team attempts were picture perfect; I think one French wacker had someone out of position one year, but the final picture matched the plan so we got it.

I did not know that. I always thought all records were 'slot perfect'.

thanks for the training

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

> I think one French wacker had someone out of position one year, but the final picture matched the plan so we got it.

Shouldn't discussion of French wackers take place in Bonfire?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The rule is:

Fly your slot. If your that fast, speak up and any good organizer will move you to the front of the line so other slower people can follow you.

If your leader is missing, fly your slot not your grip. Simple and safe.

Like I always say, "Do your job and only your job"

Guy Wright