JENNR8R

How Did You End Up on a Competitive Team?

Did you organize the team?
How did you find teammates?
Were you asked to join the team?
How many jumps did you have when you joined your first team?
How many seasons did you compete together?
Was there much turnover?

I’m not asking about suggestions on how I can form a team… or about team attempts that didn’t work out. I’d just like to hear about your experiences on joining a team that actually competed.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

No, we were 4 friends (novices) who just decided one day:"hey, let's do 4-way!"

About 140

This will be our first nationals as a team, but we are taking it very seriously - having coaching once a month, creeping twice a week and going on an overseas tunnel trip in Feb (can't wait! B|)

Was there much turnover?

Not yet but I'm sure there will be eventually. It is very hard to find four people who have exactly the same goals - in my experience people do 4-way for different reasons, and at this stage everybody seems to want somethng different from the team.

I’d just like to hear about your experiences on joining a team that actually competed

It's fun. It's what made me realise that this is what I love and my discipline of choice. My ultimate goal would be to be part of a really cool all-girl 4-way team.

-Chanti-

After doing my FS1 in Florida and being hooked on FS (RW to you lot over there) I joined a team on my return to UK on 125 jumps.

They were other 'lowtimers' at out local DZ looking for a tail slot.

We competed for one season in rookie.

One of the original guys went to do CRW, so I joined, then another guy stepped down and we ended up with Emma (V2/Aikix/Elan) when she had like 200 jumps.

Your secondary question is a biggie, but here are a few words on it...

You all need to be honest with each other.

Be honest about your goals; whether it's 50 jumps or 500 jumps per season, the amount of tunnel time / training camps etc etc that you would like to do. No good joining a team who want to do 50 jumps if you want to do 200 jumps (unless you all communicate and one or other of you are prepared to modify your goals and commitments)

Also be open about your commitments: financial, personal, time, family, etc etc.

No good wanting to to do 500 jumps and 20 hours tunnel, if you really can't afford the time nor the money to enable you to realise that goal.

There's loads more to that and you can find lots of posts and articles about it here.

Enjoy!
-----------------------
Connextion: British 8 Way Team
www.bodyflight.co.uk
-----------------------

Your secondary question is a biggie, but here are a few words on it...

You all need to be honest with each other.

Be honest about your goals; whether it's 50 jumps or 500 jumps per season, the amount of tunnel time / training camps etc etc that you would like to do. No good joining a team who want to do 50 jumps if you want to do 200 jumps (unless you all communicate and one or other of you are prepared to modify your goals and commitments)

Also be open about your commitments: financial, personal, time, family, etc etc.

No good wanting to to do 500 jumps and 20 hours tunnel, if you really can't afford the time nor the money to enable you to realise that goal.

There's loads more to that and you can find lots of posts and articles about it here.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. :)
I wanted this thread to be about actual experiences, not "how to's." What were your goals? Did you meet them, or did you have to compromise a lot?

ones? -- Monday.

I think the most important thing is finding teammates who you like and get along with on personal level, and finding 5 folks that respect each other and will continue to treat each other with respect even under "battle stress" or the inevitalbe frustating moments. We spend alot of money playing this game - I think it's a shame when I see teams that don't look like they are enjoying the process of training together. If folks are just focussed on the end goal of competing or winning a meet, they're letting a lot ride on a single performance...

I truely believe that being happy with the PEOPLE you are flying with is one of the most important things in building a team.

I did my first pick-up team when I had 500 tandem video jumps and about 500 RW jumps. This season will be my 6th year jumping w/ a team.

My current team has stayed together and competed at Nationals for the last 3 years and will be jumping together again this season. All members were connected by jumping on teams together before, but some of us had only jumped with one other person out of the group. A longer history of how the team formed is on our website.

I attribute the fact that we have had zero turnover to our friendship, being happy that we met our goals (sucess feels good and makes you want to continue working hard - though goals don't have to be winning or even a certain avg.), our ability to form new goals that challenge us and that we all buy into, and our willingness to sacrifice a great deal for the team (I switched to become a part-time, rather than a full time student for example and we've all spent a boat load of money...)
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I have been on two long-term 4-way teams.

No in both cases
They asked me (in both cases)
Yes
About 500
5 in the first case, and 3 in the second
Was there much turnover?
only 1 person changed in the first team, after one year, and on the second team no changes, except for the alternate.

The first team was very successful competitively, and the second team was less successful. They were equally satisfying experiences though, fun and instructional.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Yes, myself and my (now) teammate co-founded/organized Arizona Divewerkz.

The founders met during a weekend jumping at Skydive Arizona on an organized 6 way.

We found one teammate during a boogie and one teammate during an Airspeed Skills Camp.

No, but I had a part in asking the other two during the first season.

This will be our fourth season together. We set firm goals for each year. Top 10 finish at Nationals in AA in year one, 12.5 + point average at Nationals in AA in year two, 14.0+ average in AAA in year three (we ended up winning the AAA class at the US Nationals which was a great bonus!). This year we have again increased our point average and jump # goals to new levels.

Was there much turnover?

We had the same roster for the first two years. In year three we lost our videographer and our Tail moved on to a player coach team.

This year we are keeping the same 4-way but we have again picked up a new videographer.

I hope this helps. The best thing to do is get out and jump, let your desire to compete be known. Go to competitions with "pick-up" teams even if you don't have a formal set team.

Blue Skies,

Blane

You can find more information about the team at:
http://www.divewerkz.org

There is a link to a magazine story that was in the BPA mag about a year ago, The perfect team. Probably not exactly what you are seeking but maybe some insight into the team dynamic. The link is in the team icon, click on it and it will be on the left side of the page.

When I had 30-40 jumps, I attended an organised 4-way weekend at my dropzone. Tutors, cameras, etc are all organised for the newer folk. At the end of the weekend, I was approached by a guy with hundreds of jumps (800 jumps! Wow!) who asked if I wanted to join a team. I said yes, and we started training. After a lot of team-member issues, that team dissolved, but myself and the original tutor went to Nationals with two others and got Silver in Intermediate :)

So, more directly:

- No I did not organise.
- The tutor/organiser located the other team members.
- Yes, I was approached.
- Under 50 jumps to my name.
- We never made it to a competition.
- One guy was capped because he couldn't fly relative to others, another was asked to leave the dz because of personal issues with the owner, and a third had to work at the dz and couldn't commit properly due to that.

Once that initial team fell apart it took a couple of months to get the personnel together for Unplugged. We had one with 3500 jumps, one with 800, one with 450, and me with about 170. I was the only competition virgin. We did 30-odd jumps together, had fun, and got silver with a 9.3avg.

No, I stepped onto an existing team that needed a new fourth.

No... they had been eyeing me as a possible teammate, but didn't think I would be available. When I approached them, they were happy to have me.

130ish. 450 by the time I got on my current team (3rd team)

Current team has been together for 2 years, looking to do a 3rd, although the lineup has changed.

Was there much turnover?

yes, but for the best. Actually, my team really started in 2002, and only one member is still there. In '02, they never really got much in. In 03 they got a solid lineup and improved a lot (8-point A team by the end). In 04 they struggled to get a committed 4th, and didn't improve. In 05 I joined, and we became a 9-10 point AA team. In 06, we got more serious, and replaced a weaker member with a very strong, experienced jumper, and took 6th at nationals in intermediate (11.6 avg). For 07, one member is moving, and we believe we have an excellent replacement.

Building a solid team is very challenging, especially if you're not at perris/eloy/deland. It takes a lot of time, money, patience, and energy, but it's worth all of it when it goes well!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

What are the reasons that each member wants to do 4-way?

I'm the most inexperienced person on the team. I love 4-way and would like to use this as a learning experience. The most experienced person on our team is hoping to go to World Meet ... soon! Another one is just doing it for fun, and the last is sorta inbetween me and the most experienced, as in wanting to learn but also to go really far with this. At this stage, who knows what's gonna happen - I'm just hoping for a decent average at nationals!!

-Chanti-

I attribute the fact that we have had zero turnover to our friendship, ... and our willingness to sacrifice a great deal for the team (I switched to become a part-time, rather than a full time student for example and we've all spent a boat load of money...)

...I gave up food for a year. :S

...I gave up food for a year. :S

If you're the Messiah, then you must have subsisted quite well on spiritual nourishment. :)
One never knows where these threads will lead. Four people from my DZ ended up at a 4-way camp in Arizona, and Parachutist is considering doing an article on the subject... all because of this thread! :o:D
ones? -- Monday.

One never knows where these threads will lead. Four people from my DZ ended up at a 4-way camp in Arizona, and Parachutist is considering doing an article on the subject... all because of this thread!

whats the teams name so we can keep an eye out for the article.

I'm actually in the process of moving closer to a DZ, getting out of the military after 8 years, and giving up that nice paycheck to pursue 4 way. Isn't it awesome how addicting this is:)

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

The four people from my DZ who attended the four-way camp are not on a team, and the Parachutist article would be about established teams. Those two things are unrelated.

The military gives out nice paychecks!? :o:D Godspeed on the four-way plans in your future. :)

ones? -- Monday.