GQ_jumper

Q-O-E-F-17 40+ or not for the top teams

Lookin at the NSL draw for this weekend the draw for round 5 in AAA looks like it could be a 40+ for the top teams. The first four randoms are all centerpoint turns, and 17 is fast as hell. so Whatcha all think? I'm sayin yes:)
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Even if it is very fast, it is slower than FMPOE or BFLAN that are the kind of jumps that can score above 40 !

except for the block move in QOEF17, BFLAN has all bigger moves

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't forget that it is either a mirror or a slot switcher depending on how the team makes it.

The current records had no slot switchers or mirrors:
Fire 2006, 47: F M P O E. Straight
French 2004, 42: B F L A N. Straight
Airspeed 1999, 39 : M O H B P. Straight

At the 2005 World Cup there was a potential record, but it had block 5 in it. Airspeed did a 34. It was a burner as well M J O 5.

A mirror or SS will seriously hurt the speed of a jump.

BTW we did a 20 on it I think....I had a bad exit.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I bet they won't do 40 points

kinda depends on who 'they' are. It's Texas and Carolina competing. Any of the big dogs in this weekend? Are the Knights competing in the Carolina meet? 17 could mess with the mental bits on the random work..... Thunder put up a nice score.

nice draw though, most of the dives with a mirror or mem have plenty of opportunity to unwind of switch back. Of the first 6, only 3, 5 and 6 had some kind of mental work, and I think 3 and 6 'could' unwind so you'd only see one page.

I think we'll use this draw for our first practice. All 11 have some good training stuff for a team that just needs to 'see' all the blocks prior to our first meet.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thunder put up a nice score

I screwed up the exit. :S

We just switched tail and point last camp...Last I remember tails job was to blast down on exit...Seems I did that great, but the getting back up kinda sucked:o

Our score was not a good representation of what that dive could have been. We fiqured about a 22 minimum for us.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A wise man once told me, "if you're not in - get in. If you are in - key the mother"

Another series of comments,
diver 1 - "you keyed it before I got in"
diver 2 - "next time get in first"

Blasting down on a Q is a delicate balance of .....yadda yadda, yadda, blah blah blah. Next time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I felt a physical pain when I was reading this ;);)

was it in your eye? Take the spoon out of your coffee. {{if you want, we can fake something on the Q exit and see who bites.....:D}}

Q launches were tough for our last tail (and thus all 4 of us), and I had no idea how to make it right other than ask her to be VERY aggressive in placing herself below the OC. But with our new lineup, I'm hopeful. We're of the school of "place it on the hill and just fly the sucker". Seems to work. Then once in a while we get lucky and a good coach tells us how to do one for 'real'. (but you know Ron, with a big point dive like that, I bet he was pissed for a bit - Thunder will be a good team for my guys to download and study this year, though - they'll be phenominal)

Just grip switch the Q exit for the tail. Most likely you've got the OC and Point taking a cheater grip out the door, so while they are fumbling around, have the tail swap grips. Easier to present off the door and since you have a higher chance of being stable off the plane, the grip switch should be fairly fast.

Or just get a tail with monkey arms who can reach the bar and the OCs grip with arms crossed..

Thanks - I ended up having her do the grip switch to be more comfortable. But it wasn't the problem, it was the presentation, never really low enough or comfortable on the hill.... One thing we tried that worked every time was to crowd it up a bit and have the tail launch with a sidebody on me (actually, hold the plane with the right, me (OC) with the left on arm, and drop to the sidebody AFF style and drop the left hand). I've seen other teams take it one step further and almost 'spring' the thing out sideways - works pretty good with everybody pointed up hill. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Maybe I was messing her up on the stock launch, maybe something else. I don't know. In the end, my position is the "4way" didn't launch it - we have to do it as a team and no one person is 100% responsible to make it work.

Another thing that was fun was diving it out the door.

The point and I didn't have the cheater, we'd lay a hand there just in case, but didn't pick it up most of the time. Any chance I have to work against 'sticky' hands - even on exit, I'll go with a light or touch grip. I'm thinking of sewing my point's thumb and finger together some evening when he's had a few:P - I think grabby grips are big score hurter....

New lineup this year, we'll just have to see how we take it off the plane with this group on Q (and all the rest).

Visualizing the whole team on the hill helps to learn how go get in a right place in a right time.

Still have a spoon in my eye and it hurts a lot ;)

But I keep visualizing Fire instead of my team......

Seriously - I can coach that, but until it settles in for each individual, it stays sporadic - I have high hopes this year for all aspects of our flying, including exits. I like the launch slides that some teams use, they are very cool.

I think any and all formations can be launched, even without cheater grips. Even from a narrow door. And we launched them all from a small King Air our first year (AAA) right up until a pro told us some couldn't be done.....:| - ignorance at the time was bliss....

Some you just don't want to because the gain isn't that much.

Visualizing the whole team on the hill helps to learn how go get in a right place in a right time.

Really? All I have to say is 4 out of 6. :)

Even when a coach told you to stop doing that.B|

Once you guys work through that little bit...You will smoke a good number of teams. No one at Waller would have been able to keep up.

Lol :) Perhaps I did not make it clear - I was referring to specific 'tail getting low' issue ;)

When I had to deal with systematic problem of not being low enough, visualizing the team on the hill (looking up and seeing everybody higher than you)helped a lot.

Common, didn't you compliment my "long exits just a few weeks ago? :P:P

P.S. 4/6 was a good lesson, no doubt about that :)

As much as that round five is a burner I would have a hard time seeing a 40 in there. More than anything the finish 17 to the Q. Neither a classic Q nor a Mickey mouse Q really help. building a classic the tail has to deal w/ the outside centers legs into the Q and then into the O where building the Mickey Mouse the out facing guy on the finish 17 has a 180 to the Q the a tight build w/ thier piece partner in the O. As odd as it may sound, having 5 and 17 in the same jump would promote a 40 way more than this draw.

You have my two cents, now I am broke.

I screwed up the exit.

We just switched tail and point last camp...Last I remember tails job was to blast down on exit...Seems I did that great, but the getting back up kinda sucked

Ever tried the curly Q exit? Basically like a 20. You can have it as a throw-away if your regular Qs are sucking. It's pretty much bomb-proof but you all have to be clear in separating dropping cheat grips before the key. Everyone has to flash extra-big and in particular point must do a major flash.

Ever tried the curly Q exit? Basically like a 20. You can have it as a throw-away if your regular Qs are sucking.

No, I just screwed up the exit. We switched point (old me) with tail (new me) the week before and I just screwed it up.

I dropped down and when the key came I was surprized and low on the hill. So I had to fight to get back to the Sidebody on the "O".

If I was current as a tail I *might* not have screwed it up.:P

We have not even walked all the exits with the position swap yet. Thats for the next camp.