HellaMannn

movement problems- arching through chest

I have just started jumping with a rookie 4-way team here at the University of Georgia, currently trying to get ready for collegiates in December. On Saturday, we did two drill drives of alternating satellites, and i had a real problem on staying close to the formation and general ease of flying. after our video debrief, it was clear my arch was through my chest instead of my hips (hence making it harder for me to fly). has anyone else dealt with this early in their jumping career and if so, how did you get through it? any drills to practice? i am heading to the tunnel next month for some instruction, but wanted to get some rw'ers thoughts. :)Alex
Alex
UGA Skydiving Club

i had that exact problem and identified it at about jump 80, the tunnel did it for me, if you try and get in the tunnel arching through your chest instead of your hips you'll be all over the place. Nothing like the wind tunnel to take those little mistakes you can get away with in the sky and use em to throw you around:P
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yes, had the same problem and it wasn't identified until I had hundreds of jumps. Do some 2 ways with a coach and video (Craig Buxton in Deland helped me get through this). Be sure and keep your hands below the level of your chin, and stick you dick in the dirt, but not too much. You want your body to be flat, otherwise you'll have a hard time turning in place. Put on weights if you need.
We are all engines of karma

I had a screwed up body position for a long time, but got it sorted through instruction, tunnel and muscle memory.

Before going to the tunnel, try these exercises:

Lie on a nice surface, like a bed, and go into the position where you arch through the hips. Repeat this a lot!

Do some 2 way skydives with a person who has a camera on their helmet just practising arching through your hips and doing turns, etc, as unfortunately, bad habits or should I say comfort zones, do happen sub-conciously in the air when you are focusing on other things - like 4-way!

Weight may be needed as well as mentioned previously by another poster.

Which tunnel are you going to? Are you doing a camp or just a block of time with some coaching?

Liz

If you are going to the tunnel I would highly recommend a coach that knows something about 4-way. I did some tunnel coaching with Airspeed last week and it was incredible the amount I learned in just 15 minutes. I spent the whole time just working on body position and movement. The next time I got up and did a jump there was a big change in my ability to stay close and make quick and stable turns.