btucker

What is the best way to rotate a compress piece?

Buzzard-Buzzard spins 2 3-way compressed and a couple solos.

I love 8-way, but wouldn't presumed to know anything about it. But would like to get coaching and do a team someday.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Nope. Buzzard-Buzzard has four solos do 360's and the two compressed pieces spin 360 as well.

I have not done the block in competition so I will discuss he general technique of spinning a compressed.

On the key, the inside person steps forward and into the legs of the outside person. This will "open the door" for the outside person to move similarly through the spot where the insides knees were. This will 180 the piece. Now repeat with he new inside making the first move.

By having the inside make the move first, the outside person has the ability to control proximity as they come to the center.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Having little experience in 8-way I would say that you can spin a compressed many ways. DO you want to spin in place, walk it, What are the closes like. If 2 2 way compressed are spinning and then relinking I would suggest doing 1 forward and 1 back maintaining a cheater grip to help with the proximity. The block would break down into comp, box, comp, box, comp. Insides step out maintaining a ceater grip and hold, outsides press toward the center into the box and then it starts again with a new inside and outside.
Chris

Thanks, I had to blow up the dive pool on my screen to see the picture clearly.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Keep it simple. Rotate forward and drive through the grip (not around your piece partner). Both people in the compressed should focus on stopping their piece on heading, building the center stair-step diamond on the finish. The first move should be a bit more of a push through your grip keeping the piece as small as possible. Letting your arms get fully, or even partially extended can make the piece very difficult to control. Person starting on the outside of the compressed push through your grip and see a long compressed, or a stair-step diamond half way through the turn with your clone. (the person who started on the outside of the other compressed piece). Compressed pieces are the easiest to get going so it shouldn't take much effort. On the finish both people should be working to stop the piece and looking toward the center to see the opposite compressed piece, once again looking for the long compressed or the stair-step diamond in the center. Avoid focusing on the individual fliers. A good sight picture on the finish with the other piece will help avoid getting "grippy" or over rotating.

Hope this helps

Chris