SCR10480

What do you pay for Coached jumps?

Dave,

I agree 100%. I am not a USPA rated coach but I've been around the sport and team stuff a while. I recently did some coaching jumps with a new jumper who agreed to pay for my slot and the video slot too.

He was very pleased with the instruction and got some good video to take home too!

Blues,
Ed Lightle B|B|

My personal philosophy is coach jumps should be slot plus 0$. If you don't want to jump with me then don't, I won't do any coach jumps that require more than my slot plus their slot, and if someone charges me more than the slot (which is all I offer, and I'm up front about it) after the jump is done then I will never jump with them again until they buy me a jump. But thats just me. I also would never charge more than my slot and if I was looking for a two way anyways, which is most of the time, I would pay my own slot. Like anything though, there are no rules and there are exceptions.

When I coach 1-1 BBF I charge $5 if Im wearing video, besides my slot. How else should I pay my video and helmet, that I bought solely for the purpose of better debreif?

On the other hand, I have often bought jump tickets to "funjump" with newer jumpers, simply because I like to see their faces when we land!

When I get two-on-two coaching I typically pay the slots of the people I jump with, plus the video.
And at camps I have hired two coaches and payed great sums... It can be worth it.:)

This is an interesting topic for me, because I am planning on obtaining a coach rating. By the time I'll have 100 jumps, I'll also have about 7 hours of air time considering the 5.5 hours in the tunnel that I'll have by that time too. Additionally, I am well versed with briefing and video debriefing from my tunnel work.

When I begin, I expect I'd be happy to just get my slot paid. But, I'm looking forward to getting slot+20 someday :)

Tunnel time does not equate with what coaches are supposed to be doing with low timers. Low timers also need to learn exits, tracking, and canopy control which the tunnel can't prepare them for.

Don't get me wrong, if I have somebody in the AFF program who just can't settle down enough for the release dive, I send them to Perris if they can afford it, but that is so they can proceed in the AFF program.

I do coached jumps with video debrief for slot and pack job. I want more, good jumpers to jump with, so I work to create them. I won't coach people who don't listen, or who argue with me. My jumps outside of tandem/aff/camera are limited, and that's where I collect my fees.

Coaching is "fun jumping" for me, I really like teaching and getting that A card signed off.

Dave,
It may be of interest to you and the readers that this USPA Coach usually does not charge anything to coach. Although my home drop zone has me sign on as an independant contractor I do not consider myself a "Professional" in the sport. My thinking is the Pros at the DZ need the work and the sport needs them to be avaiable to instruct. I have a full time job and consider the extra money I may get doing a coach job as second to the improtance of maintaining a well staffed DZ. There have been times when the staff is busy and the DZ Manager requests I do a Coach Jump, I always try to comply and get my jump plus $20.00. I also see a difference in doing coach jumps with G & H level students and those who have their A license. Most of my choach jumps are with people with their A license but will not pay for coaching and really appreciate good instruction when they get it. I also believe I owe something back to the sport, I get satifaciton when I see the results of the student progression and I have better RW flyers to do formations with.