tdog

Need a glossary

Ok,

So I am still figuring all this out… It would be kindof cool if someone could lead me to a glossary, skydiving encyclopedia, book, website, etc of RW skydiving terms and names of formations and moves, etc… It kindof sucks to walk by a few guys and hear them say we did a (insert word here) – and have no clue why everyone else is so impressed. (Of course I could just ask them, but if they are doing some intense training, I don’t want to interrupt.)

If you have a reference material that was designed to be a textbook or syllabus to learn from, that would be super-cool – like giving progressively more difficult “tasks” to play with in the sky with friends. Not that I am trying to learn skydiving from a book, but it would be cool to have a benchmark to use with coaches/friends/peers to push myself farther along. (If you don’t know what you don’t know, you don’t know what to learn.)

T

I would spend some time hunting around on www.omniskore.com as well. Also, the Airspeed articles that are linked at the top of the RW forum are an excellent resource, as well.

As for the relative difficulty of blocks and randoms, the rules, the culture, and all that jazz...errr, you'll have to talk to people and just start doing it. I've been competing for 3 years and I still am ignorant on a lot of it.

But time in sport has nothing to do with it. I bet if you talked to someone like DanBC or Craig Girard, they'd tell you the same thing! :ph34r:
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I'd recommend to learn some basic 2-way terminology before you progress to larger formations

star
cat
sidebody
compressed accordion
open accordion
ect.

Memorizing the simple 2-way formations will definitely help to learn the formations containing more people because they all built using the same principles. In addition, the names of larger formation are often based on 2-way terminology.

..have attached some .jpg pics of basic 4way dives,
you can save them, and put them together on a page...print off, put in your log book for reference....

sorry, due to file size of attachments here could not attach as one page.....

SMiles;)

Ahhh - thanks to all! I can't tell you how many times I've done Google searches for this exact info only to come up empty handed :o

As someone very new to the sport I'm just now starting to jump regularly with some of the more experienced folks at our DZ. While they're always incredibly patient & helpful I hate stopping them in the middle of sketching out a dive flow to ask them what I know is a simple questions (i.e. what's an open accordian grip?). They don't mind but I like to be as prepared as possible - learning the basic grips and formations certainly make me feel better the next time we start putting together something I haven't tried before :D

..have attached some .jpg pics of basic 4way dives,
you can save them, and put them together on a page...print off, put in your log book for reference....

sorry, due to file size of attachments here could not attach as one page.....

SMiles;)

The Fastrax site just has a lot of good stuff too.
as does Skyleague

http://www.teamfastrax.org
www.skyleague.com

your Opal is wrong - Turn the left guy up so he has a stairstep grip on the outfacer

your Diamond is actually a Murphy - in a diamond all the people face the same direction

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants