steve1

Forgetting to turn off Cypress

I have a habit of forgetting to turn off my cypress. I've heard that it's no big deal, it will shut off by itself, right? Recently a friend said it's always good to shut it off and that it can be harmful to your cypress, to leave it on and then drive to other elevations. Is there any truth to this. My friend is a rigger and has thousands of jumps so I'm just wondering. Steve1

It will consume battery during the drive, but it shuts down anyways after 14 hours. If you are driving and you know thre will be elevation changes then its a good idea to turn it off. All that it will do is consume battery power. Unless you are turning it on every day and jumping then driving its going to be hard for the occasional weekend drive to do any real harm to the battery. It might take a few more volts off the battery... oh well as long as it stays above the required voltage.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

there was a thread that touched on this a couple of days ago. I don't remember what it was called, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. As I recall that information is correct. If you are leaving your gear at the dz, or whatever, it's fine to leave it on, but if you are traveling and there is a deifference in elevation, then yes, turn it off.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

it actually eats up more battery life to turn it off manually than to let it turn itself off. Also, i couldn't see the elevation change messing it up unless you jump it somewhere else without re-zeroing it. and i wouldn't worry about the cutter firing unless you drive yourself of a cliff or something...

My understanding of the battery is that running on the ground it is in passive battery mode, it consumes very little power this way. After it detects an altitude change (it assumes take off) it goes into active sensing mode and that takes more power. Changes in elevation from driving on mountian roads for example would kick it into active mode. It would consume more power for the entire drive then it would had you just left it sit at the DZ the whole time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>it actually eats up more battery life to turn it off manually than to let it turn itself off.

Not true.

>Also, i couldn't see the elevation change messing it up unless you
> jump it somewhere else without re-zeroing it.

It doesn't mess it up, but a significant altitude change puts it in "active mode" and it uses up the battery more quickly than if it's just sitting there on the ground (or in a car on a level road.)

Your question has allready been answered. It doesn't matter if you leave it on or turn it off unless you're going for a drive/altitude change.

What I suddenly came to think of was something I heard or read somewhere, that slamming cardoors or trunklids could cause the cypress to missfire.

(putting the rigg with cypres on in the trunk, drive a bit, so that the cypress believes it's jumping, stopping, opening the trunk, slamming it shut causing a sudden increase in air pressure.)

Anyone know if this has ever happend, or is it just a myth?
How smart is the cypres really?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

(putting the rigg with cypres on in the trunk, drive a bit, so that the cypress believes it's jumping, stopping, opening the trunk, slamming it shut causing a sudden increase in air pressure.)

Anyone know if this has ever happend, or is it just a myth?
How smart is the cypres really?

Well, the cypres activates at 1500 AGL when the plane takes off (activates as in -- will arm on descent). So first you'd have to increade your elevation above 1500 ft from the airfield in, i think, 20 min. Only after you so that will the cypres ARM at 1200 ft and then fire at 750.

Now, with all of the logic that i KNOW about in the cypres, i'd wager actual cash there's some logic in there that lets the cypres know that the sudden pressure decrease from opening the trunk would NOT count at gaining altitude (remamber, that's a fraction of a second of low-pressure, once the seal is broken the pressure goes back to normal. And i would also bet there's something similar for sudden momentary increases. You'd also still have to be above te cypres arming altitude when doing all of this trunk business.

I'd call it urban legend. YMMV

-jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Now, with all of the logic that i KNOW about in the cypres, i'd wager actual cash there's some logic in there that lets the cypres know that the sudden pressure decrease from opening the trunk would NOT count at gaining altitude (remamber, that's a fraction of a second of low-pressure, once the seal is broken the pressure goes back to normal. And i would also bet there's something similar for sudden momentary increases.

I would have to agree with this. I almost never turn my Cypres off and it rides home in my hatchback next to two JL-Audio 10W3's with 300 watts RMS to each one of them. The pressure level can get quite vicious and I've never had a problem in over two years.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

What I suddenly came to think of was something I heard or read somewhere, that slamming cardoors or trunklids could cause the cypress to missfire.

The CYPRES is probably too smart to be fooled by that, but I think I might have heard that you could fire an FXC12000 by slamming a trunk shut.

I have never turned off a cypress and I have two of them. I don't think any of my friends do either. I have never seen any problem with this. The only time I have seen a cypress fire when it wasn't wanted was last weekend. A student cypress fired in a descending plane. Student cypress' will fire at a lower rate of descent.