RW16

Tunnel coaching, World champ vs good coach.

Guys ,
I had Airspeed camp last spring, was a blast !
For $2k I got 2 1/4 hrs ($1100 base camp+extra time, Orlando).

It may be possible to get coached time for $550/hr. For $2k that would be 3.5 hrs.

Is it worth to pay for world class coaches on my level (~200 jumps, 3.5hrs tunnel)?
Would it better to have individual coach for less $$ and get extra hour?

Thanks
Vlad

Do not confuse the ability to turn points with the ability to coach.

While their are some excellent coaches from teams with world records, there are also excellent coaches without world records.

I guess the difference is what level of coach you're talking about and what you expect to get out of the experience. If you're looking just for extra time, then that might be the way to go, but if you're looking for better coaching, then you really have to look at the two coaches and decide which is the better coach for the money.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

With the Airspeed camps you are getting the whole shebang - one on one coaching, plus all the seminars and a wealth of experience for anything skydiving related (canopy, etc) on tap. Also, with a structured camp, you can learn more by listening to the debriefs of other campers. By hooking up with other campers in the evening time by sharing time by doing 4-way or 3-ways you can get more time without paying extra, ie if 2 of you book 15 mins in the same hour time slot, then you go in for 30 mins.

I presume (if I'm wrong, disregard the following!) that you are talking about the Orlando tunnel. I know for a fact that they do have awesome coaches in situ, for example, Olaf and Rusty to name just two. Those two guys ROCK as coaches and skydivers (they are skydive instructors as well).

It doesn't matter about jump numbers or experience, suck up the good coaching!!

Liz

Having been to the Airspeed camps and worked with others I think that a good body flight coach will give you much better value. The Airspeed camps are complete but you never know which coach you will get and Airspeed really is not the biggest body flight proponants. You may end up with an Airspeed coach you have never heard of. That being said if you know a good coach and there are lots in Orlando and are willing to set it all up on your own (this means shared time, booking, times, and food) you will get moe out of it (I think).
If you won't or can't take care of all the details then go with a camp. The NSL camps are cheaper. Personally I like the Magik faction and/or PD Blue Genesis But that is me
Chris

Airspeed is great.

I once hired a World Champ to coach a 4 way team. He was a 2 time World Champ...But a really bad coach. He just told us to do it faster, and we just needed practice.

This was a long time ago, and he does not coach anymore. In fact most of those coaches don't last long.

Anyone with anyname that is still around would be good.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You've been to an Airspeed camp, so you know what they're providing. It only gets better with subsequent camps. I've been to seven of them, the first with less than 200 jumps. I've also done a fair number of hours with just my teammates, with and without a private coach. There are benefits to both ways, but as an individual, I'd go for the Airspeed camp every time. Granted, you don't know who you will have as a coach ahead of time (although you can ask), but that is a benefit: each has a slightly different approach, presentation and feedback style, and what didn't quite sink in one time might just become crystal the next. Further, the evening sessions are a critical part of the learning experience, allowing you to interact with the rest of the team and the other campers, as well as working on your goals.

I don't know that I can say enough positive about the Airspeed camps. Do them. You will be rewarded beyond cost.

Formal camp or not, world champ or not, if you find a coach that works well with you and your team, that's the person to work with. We've had great luck in every forum we've used (a couple NSL camps, also separately arranging a camp format with a (great) skydiver and organizer). We are going with someone we trust this March and he'll bring in a couple additional coaches I'm sure will be great for the group regardless of the type of medals they dust off at home.

Best to find someone clearly cleaner and better than you, that can teach and compensate for everybody's personalities and learning curves.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Anyone with anyname that is still around would be good.

RW16 - I think Ron has said it best. Ask other people who have done camps, find out which individual coaches they recommend. There are many around - and a person's ability as a skydiver does not always translate to their ability as a coach.

Equally, different people favour different coaching styles and approaches. Some coaches are more technical, some are more 'watch and copy', some are more positive, some are more 'say it how it is', some are..well, they're just better at seeing what's inside your head preventing you from performing a certain move correctly. I'd advise asking around, and don't go on the first opinion you hear, as everyone learns differently. Longevity is a good sign, as are good reports from other skydivers. Have fun :)

I've been lucky enough to attend an Airspeed tunnel camp, my 4-way team has also been coached by a guy who would fit into your 'Not a world champ but an excellent coach' description.
Both were excellent and I think it does you good to seek out different coaches early on. This gives you the ability to compare different coaching styles as well as finding out which ones work for you.
When you have found a coach that fits in well, suits your learning style and is effective at improving your skydiving, previous form is less important.
Shop around, but as Emma said, have fun!!

FWIW on my Airspeed camp, I was lucky enough to share the tunnel with some world class skydivers. Airspeed are are very professional outfit and in the tunnel camps, they have a polished and effective product! Highly recommended.

As an aside, nice to see Airspeed's Nationals line-up photo included Todd Hawkins. It was great to see the likeable Aussie beaming away. I wish him all the best in his continuing recovery.

Chris
www.southparc.co.uk

I have seen this notion come up before. It strikes me as odd that people assume being a great performer makes someone a great coach. I'm not saying that the two are mutually exclusive, but if you look at great coaches in EVERY OTHER SPORT IN THE WORLD, relatively few of them were themselves great performers. The skill set for being a coach has almost nothing in common with being a great performer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that some jumpers with terrific competition credentials aren't terrific coaches, but I see way too strong a tendency to equate performance and coaching abilities.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History