el_chester

Texas State Record - my fisrt 100+ way experience

This was my first 100+ way
I enjoyed it a lot!
I beleive I was the person with the least jumps, (327 coming into the event) still I didn't blow it (good thing, 'cause I was docking on BJ Worth, and Larry Henderson was docking on me!).
The view from the last trail plane on the right was amazing on every exit!
We had bad weather, but that also provided some of the most spectacular clouds!
i learnt a lot from everybody, so thanks! I really will keep doing big ways for a while, it's really great fun. I think more young people should do this.
Nothing against aging skydivers, but c'mon, some young blood wouldn't hurt. i think only the video guy and me were under 30 on my plane. Oh, wait, I'm over 30. Just by a year. It's like if younger people wouldn't touch this discipline cause it's only for older guys. NOT SO!

Anyway, thanks everybody @ Spaceland and organizers, this was fun.

PLUS Not a single injury (not even minor), not a reserve ride. For 12 jumps 145 people that's over 1700 jumps - so great turnout in those terms too.

I just wish the steep-diving trackers would work on their technique, I don't like having to look for them below me... (and I'm not the folatiest track around)

see you for the sequentials in perris in a couple of weeks. bye bye for now from istanbul,

chester

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

This was my first 100+ way
I enjoyed it a lot!
I beleive I was the person with the least jumps, (327 coming into the event) still I didn't blow it (good thing, 'cause I was docking on BJ Worth, and Larry Henderson was docking on me!).
The view from the last trail plane on the right was amazing on every exit!
We had bad weather, but that also provided some of the most spectacular clouds!
i learnt a lot from everybody, so thanks! I really will keep doing big ways for a while, it's really great fun. I think more young people should do this.
Nothing against aging skydivers, but c'mon, some young blood wouldn't hurt. i think only the video guy and me were under 30 on my plane. Oh, wait, I'm over 30. Just by a year. It's like if younger people wouldn't touch this discipline cause it's only for older guys. NOT SO!

Anyway, thanks everybody @ Spaceland and organizers, this was fun.

PLUS Not a single injury (not even minor), not a reserve ride. For 12 jumps 145 people that's over 1700 jumps - so great turnout in those terms too.

I just wish the steep-diving trackers would work on their technique, I don't like having to look for them below me... (and I'm not the folatiest track around)

see you for the sequentials in perris in a couple of weeks. bye bye for now from istanbul,

chester

The reason we old farts do big ways is that they are not so much hard work as 4-way, Birdman, or head down.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hey Chester!
My plane captain and myself are your age.
Probably the reason that there are more "old" than young people is, that bigway is not as "cool" as speeding 4-ways or a burning head down. And it requires a lot of disciplined following the rule - attitude to keep the number of injuries and reserves as low as for example on TSR.
And last but not least it requires a certain amount of money to be able to travel around the US to attend the camps or even just go to the events. This is normally not available during your university time.
See you in Perris.
Markus
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Nice report. Yup, it's hard to tell the difference between the POPS bigways and the non-POPS bigways sometimes.

But it's OK, we can still pinch your cheek and say "awww -- isn't he cuuuuuute" :D:D

Wendy W.
(on your plane)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Fine as froghair ;), but nope, not coming out. I have a week's vacation planned for mainly non-skydiving activities :o in mid-September, and am saving my pennies for that.

Wendy
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dude that is awesome for having 327 jumps. I actually live in Texas and would love to get on some bigger ways and even records. I have jumped with Larry Henderson before, but I need to get out there and jump with more of the guys in charge.

Any other suggestions from anyone? I am in college, but I am totally into RW and Big Ways.

All help is appreciated.

Clint D-24352

Greg Nardi brought his King Air up last summer and we had the opportunity to jump a bigger aircraft for a change. Almost nobody here knows much about freeflying so nearly everyone goes up and does RW. At any rate, we were dirt diving a bigger way...(for us)... before boarding the King Air....when we started to notice most all of us were really old farts. So we went around the circle and gave our ages. Most of us were in their 50's, three were in there latter 60's, and the youngest was about 45. I thought it was great that all us old folks can still jump. Many of these guys I jumped with in the 70's and they are great pals, but it would be nice to have some younger jumpers to take our place when we get too old to land, or read an altimeter, or walk, or hold our bowels without losing it on jump run.....Steve1

Larry Henderson is a great person to get involved with when it comes to Big Ways. I am pretty sure it washis recommendation that got Eric on that TSR.

My best advice is to go to a big way camp. Let them know when you get there and in you registration sheet that you want to be considered for future big way events and they will start to watch you. They will remember your name. Kate, Tony and Dan are always looking at new jumpers for the future.
Dom

In Texas, get on jumps with Jack Berke, Tom Jenkins in Spaceland or Larry Henderson, Rob Laidlaw in Dallas. Even better is to attend the bigway camps (Kate&Tony's gigs, DanBC's events, etc). The biggest factor to an invite is exposure to the organizers so they personally know how well you can handle bigways - vastly different from 8-20 ways. Your persistance in attending the events, consistent performance during them, and a healthy dose of handshaking should help you on your journey.

It sounds like a clique, and I suppose it is, but considering the safety factors involved, I don't have a problem with it. The group is open; there are events designed to bring on board new blood: the bigway camps.

Good luck!

$580
this included 15 jumps all above 15000ft with oxigen, a t-shirt, the cost of bringing the plane captains and aircraft (in short everything).
in the end only on one jump we didn't get to 15000 (weather)
we had one climb to altitude and landed with aircraft,
and we also had 2 (if I remember well) jumps over 20000 - amazing how long those last... gotta check my protrack, but i think i got to 97 and 101 seconds (unofficial until i check my protrack...)
this was for 3 days (FRI-SAT-SUN)

we got a $60 refund per person after we made a few less jumps than originally planned

(edited to include the refund line)

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.