rehmwa

Pushing the teammates too fast

Yeah, that's another option. Don't see a reason for that one very often though. I guess I do speak of adders as either a C (for a c shape or cheated in) adder vs a Z (for a z shape or zigzag or cheated out) adder. But not in naming picture files..... sorry for the confusion.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I haven't looked at the dive pool for a while, so I was a bit surprised by the picture on omniskore. But that one doesn't show slots, and my team's standard adder (like most teams') is the mirror image of this, with P taking OC cat grips, IC sidebody on P, much like the second picture Bill posted (zAdder.jpg). The "C" shape is due to OC cheating inwards. Our "Z" adder is built more like the dive pool picture, with P outfacing. However, P angles away from the center of the formation, lending it a "Z"-ish shape. Another common build is the usual "C" shape, but OC taking cat grips on T, T sidebodies IC, IC takes P cat grips.

The differing builds accommodate the points before and after. For instance, the sequence "sidebody-adder-hammer" lends itself to a Z adder with minimal movement, whereas "yuan-adder-buddies" has smaller moves with a "standard" adder. The tradeoff is memory -- the less frequently used builds require more mental effort, and tend to build slightly slower for most teams. The question to ask yourself is if the unfamiliar build really saves you more time than a longer move to a "standard" build, recognizing that a brain lock in competition can be worth many points (busts @ -2, precious seconds spent un-locking and correcting your move).

about stopping and taking grips. Maybe a bunch of stop drill dives will help. Let them move as fast as they want to the next point but nobady takes grips until the center takes grips. Works best with in facing moves obviously.
...it still helps build a rythm that really translates into speed. This should be done in the dirt dive as well. We always move (fast), stop, and I will say "grips" , then everyone gets on together.

Only a 3 dives before weather rolled in. Well, I use BFLAN as a gaging dive - we just try it once in a while (It also gives me a great move when we use all A slots - and don't give me bunk about about your adder being more efficient from L to A :P- I see it.)

I tried what some of you were saying, also discussed calmness and we all really tried it. and the grip drills in the dirt dive. I just said one point every 2 seconds and showed how slow that pace was - "turn thousand one - two thousand GRIP" - "turn thousand one - two thousand GRIP". Most points ever. Beeps building point 29, my point left during the 6th uni build. (that's from 12.5, have to say that because some people will assume 35 seconds, but really more like 50 or 60)

Problem is, normally when we start getting into the mid and upper 20's, I'm out of breath and laughing all the way to the ground. This dive felt very slow to me (too slow). And I hit the ground, calm and kinda wanting some trail mix. So, More Points = less fun. What's the point? (Yup, the point is 'More Points')

Just kidding. Less fun? Maybe. But these were the first attempts to establish a team rythym and it was wildly successful. And for us, pushing 30 and thinking "man that felt slow" is pretty cool and so is a dive where the top and bottom felt the same and it was insanely clean. we work that awhile and I'm sure the speed will come up on its own and it'll be cleaner. Likely another level above where we were.

thanks for the input you guys - now, to extend that feeling to rounds with a block or two...

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, I use BFLAN as a gaging dive - we just try it once in a while

Now that you have seen it work. Do it all the time. Do it for the next 2 months, every dive. As you get more and more used to the rythm, you will start to key things a bit faster. Don't rush it, just let it happen.

This dive felt very slow to me (too slow). And I hit the ground, calm and kinda wanting some trail mix. So, More Points = less fun. What's the point? (Yup, the point is 'More Points')

It didn't feel slow. It felt calm. That is the difference.

thanks for the input you guys - now, to extend that feeling to rounds with a block or two...

I don't know how you are doing your blocks, but if you aren't, then try them in 2 steps. Spend time looking at the interim pictures before going to the second half and close of the block.

and don't give me bunk about about your adder being more efficient from L to A - I see it.

That's ok we will just pick up a point or two on ya then!:P
Dom

It didn't feel slow. It felt calm. That is the difference.

Nope, slow.

It'll pick up, they are getting it, just need more jumps.

Thanks for the reminders on the obvious stuff, too ;)

Yeah, that's another option. Don't see a reason for that one very often though. I guess I do speak of adders as either a C (for a c shape or cheated in) adder vs a Z (for a z shape or zigzag or cheated out) adder. But not in naming picture files..... sorry for the confusion.

Here is a good example of how Z adder can be very useful in some cases. Sebastian Teiwaz, FSL meet 3, round 3. The video is available at NSL website.

Yeah, that's how I'd engineer it - no need for the pics (G L P etc says it all). Just sit and flash while the point moves just a tiny bit. Like we were saying, there are something like 16 adders that can make sense.