PrairieDoug

Friends in Low Places

Tangential to the main topic put relevant . . .

Went and checked the literature on interference drag. Needless to say, no-one seems to have ever made measurements on human bodies. However, there's lots of data on cylinders. It seems that 2 parallel cylinders (like skydivers bodies) with space between them equal to their diameter (like in a compressed accordion, or a tight star formation) have additional drag of around 40% as compared to their total drag when widely separated. This is a BIG drag increase and could slow a formation a whole lot. The interference drag decreases rapidly as the spacing between cylinders is increased.

So, when tracking, legs together, apart 6 inches or wide apart?

Arms? Fingers?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So, when tracking, legs together, apart 6 inches or wide apart?

That's a great question. We're looking for drag to track flat and still have a good angle. Since the columns of your body parts do bring along a boundary layer that 'acts' like more surface area, I'd think that spreading out a little bit helps, especially towards the legs (you want a ton of lift in the legs and feet, right? not a hard dive, but high tail lift - I know, oversimplified). I 'think' I track best with legs apart a bit and arms fairly close in, but it's all relative to whoever I'm passing or being passed by.

You ever drive with your hand out the window and try different cupping and finger spreading and seeing which gives the most resistance? I bet most skydivers have....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Went and checked the literature on interference drag. Needless to say, no-one seems to have ever made measurements on human bodies. However, there's lots of data on cylinders. It seems that 2 parallel cylinders (like skydivers bodies) with space between them equal to their diameter (like in a compressed accordion, or a tight star formation) have additional drag of around 40% as compared to their total drag when widely separated. This is a BIG drag increase and could slow a formation a whole lot. The interference drag decreases rapidly as the spacing between cylinders is increased.

How big were these cylinders? Scale makes a big difference I think. For this information to be meaningful they would have to be about human size, and going about freefall speeds wouldn't they?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Practical testing is called for here. This is too theoretical. Who wants to go to the tunnel?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How big were these cylinders? Scale makes a big difference I think. For this information to be meaningful they would have to be about human size, and going about freefall speeds wouldn't they?

Re around 500,000

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Re around 500,000

That's pretty big,
er no, that's pretty small
no, wait

In college, I alway found reynold's number stuff much harder than even sonic and supersonic theory. I guess that's why I'm in management now. Those that can't do - look annoyed and keep pushing for RESULTS.