Hazarrd

Launching pieces out the door

I have a little over 100 jumps and do mostly RW. I have done up to 10 ways so far. I have noticed that on just about all the RW jumps where a piece was launched with me in it, the exit has funneled. We are able to redock quickly and turn the points but it's frustrating to see every exit funnel. The few exits that have not funneled are the 3-4 ways. And most of the ones that were launched successfully were close to funneling. I was wondering if there were any camps that are focused solely on exits and launching pieces successfully? I am not sure if the problem is me, but I am starting to think it is. Most of the time on exit I will watch for the count and make sure I go out with everyone. I am told this is the most important part, but something seems to go wrong all the time. I am not real familiar with what my job is in each position on different exits. Thanks.

.-.

Presentation to the wind is also very important.

Imagine the formation going out onto the hill. You must present a flat body position to the direction the relative wind is coming from (nose of the plane). It is also important that you present the correct “amount” of body, so try to picture where you are going to be in the formation as you fly it out of the plane.

Depending on where you are in the exit, you may be lower or higher than everyone else while on the hill. If you are the lower man, present with more limb exposed. This will tend to flatten the formation out quicker. If you are the high man, pull those heels right up your arse as too much body here will catch the relative wind and flip the formation upside down.

You might have more luck asking over on the RW forum....

Yeah the count is important, you don't want to your chums to be boogieing without you, also from my old RW days, presentation (get your chest into the wind) is everything for the basic blob launches.
Legs in or out can make a huge difference too, eg if diving legs up your ass, if floating, legs out full till the chunk stabilises etc, etc. each position has its own techniques, which can vary depending on aircraft too. Its good to find an exit slot that suits you and stick to it till you have that nailed.

But like I said, the RW forum will probably answer your questions better than I can hope.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

1) Think about not what you want to do on exit, but where you want your body to be (and in what orientation) a quarter of a second after exit. Then put your body there.

2) If you're inside - push hard. It's hard to be overaggressive on exits, but easy to be timid, and that causes things to get stretched out.

3) If you're a rear floater - think about stepping off and going straight down, chest into the wind.

4) If you're a front floater - think about launching up and out. Make sure you keep your eyes on the rest of the formation, but do NOT let your body follow your head.

5) Always think about presentation, about which arm you have to lift and which way you have to turn to present to the wind correctly.

There's a link at the top of this page called "airspeed articles"

There's one about exits in there for 4-way, But the concepts apply to any size.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants