darkwing

exits for pick-up load

I'd like to hear some philosophies about exit design for pick-up loads, at boogies for example. My own views have evolved into one of "don't chunk exits." Rather let everyone fly. Fewer funnels, and fewer off-heading bases.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I'd like to hear some philosophies about exit design for pick-up loads, at boogies for example. My own views have evolved into one of "don't chunk exits." Rather let everyone fly. Fewer funnels, and fewer off-heading bases.

When organizing I normaly chunk something...a 3 or 4way to give everyone a good target, not a bunch of people everywhere. I am normally in that chunk so I make it stay on heading.

I find it is the best of both worlds....I chunk a round or an opposing diamond.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron --

What would you say is the most "bullet-proof" 4-way exit.

I personally think that a 4-way round is a bit of a challenge to newbies and am curious what you'd put out if you had say, yourself and 3 other unknown sub-100 jumpers.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yes, I see where the opposed diamond is a good one. There is major value in having a clear piece as a target for everyone else. One of the issues I confront when organizing is that everyone likes to fly, and the ones who get "stuck" in the base are happier not chunking the exit. Face it, especially on pick up loads for low timers, everyone wants to fly, and often later rather than earlier. Organizing makes you trade off desires for success.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

We chunk lots of stuff on pickups, both from Otters and the Skyvan. Sometimes it funnels, but mostly not. It's like everything else, a little practice is all it takes. It's fun and it is a skill. And you've got your first formation instead of having to waste half>all of the dive getting everyone there. I'll go in the base chunk anytime, I don't care, when I step away from the plane I'm in freefall.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The stairstep diamond is a very good exit....And most understand this one.

However for bullet proof...(Now that I said it it will funnel from now on) Is to take 4 folks. Have the front hold on to the plane with his right hand and present to the relative wind. I would be behind him and use my left hand to grab his right legstrap. This will allow me to push him up if I have to. The front diver takes the front floaters right arm in an open accordian grip with his right arm. The rear diver takes my right arm in an open accordian grip With his right arm. The Front diver has the Rear diver with his left hand on the rear divers legstrap.

So basicly you have everyone in a boxed open accordian with 2 leg strap grips.

The floaters are facing into the realative wind, and the divers are facing the back of the plane.

A very solid exit and this is just the same type of standard exit for 8 way chunks...
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

4 way exit from a Cessna.

One guy goes out and holds onto thestrut with both his arms..He stands on the wheel with his left leg and trails the right.

One person goes and sits backwards in the V where the strut meets the fusalage. He grabs the first guys chest strap.

The guy giving the count is in the center across from the guy in the V. He has the guy on his rights leg strap, and he hold himself on the plane with the guy in the V's cheststrap.

The guy at the door either tries to squease out, or he just gets his legs out and sits on the door.
He has the guy giving the count's arm...Now if he is sitting he also takes the guys in the V's arm...If he is out he turns down wind and lets the guy in the V take his inner leg....Both work, the inside guy being out with the V guy holding his leg is more solid, but that guy needs to be small, and this is the hardest slot.

The guy in the V needs to arch like hell for a second or two as he gets pulled out of the V.

I find for new people on Cessnas that if the guy sitting in the V (crotch, strut, etc) gives the count (instead of the person across from him - the 'student position'), it goes smoother. That way he's pushing off and isn't late and thus pulled off. Everyone else has a pretty easy exit.

Also, a Stair Step diamond or a meeker is very clean out of a Cessna.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I find for new people on Cessnas that if the guy sitting in the V (crotch, strut, etc) gives the count (instead of the person across from him - the 'student position'), it goes smoother. That way he's pushing off and isn't late and thus pulled off. Everyone else has a pretty easy exit.

Well its been about a year since I jumped a cessna....And it was just a hop n pop....Its been 7 years since I chunked anything...So we will go with your idea.

The guy in the V needs to have his right foot in the V, not just his ass.

I have done it both ways....But yours might be better.

The other did work for me however..

In the end I am sure there are about a hunderd different ways..and I am no expert on Cessnas.

Keep the tips comming

Either foot in the V is good. Great comment, though.

I like Cessna's, especially when it's a 4-way in a 206 (normally we put 5) - old home week. It's very personal and comfortable provided nobody is a big mutant giant. Longer ride if you're feeling social. Or it's a narrow body Cessna - that's just too small.

The Otter is gone and the Porter is gone soon too. Then back to Cessnas for the winter.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants