Jessica

Learning to sew

I took sewing lessons for a couple of months, but since there are only so many tote bags and tank tops I can make, I want to get a machine of my own and start practicing at home.

Is it better to get a simple, light-duty machine to learn on, or should I start with something that's capable of the rigging stuff I ultimately want to do?

Cost is certainly a factor. I could get a beginner machine for $100, whereas the heavy-duty stuff costs several times that.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Don't buy a cheap machine! You will regret it immediately. Save your money and buy something decent. I have made everything from wedding dresses to my husbands suits to every curtain in 3 or 4 houses that we have owned. Currently making wedding and baby quilts for my kids. Even made several sails for sailboats, all on the same machine. (A Viking) Bought and sold my first machine (a Sears) within 2 months, have owned this quality one, probably longer than you have been alive. Have never regretted the purchase of it for a moment. You may get held back on your ability, but you WILL get held back by the quality of your tools.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I'd recommend you talk with local riggers or even upholsterers, but not dressmakers and the like. You need a simple, but sturdy machine. I bought a used machine nearly 30 years ago and it still sews great using E thread and not too many layers of cordura, etc. Forward, reverse, and zigzag....

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I actually used to have a compact Sears (ca. 1978) sewing maching (all metal parts) that was wonderful. Everything you say about yours. I still can't believe I let my dad talk me into keeping his machine and selling the Sears.

I even sewed new crown lines onto a Papillon, and a replacement cell into a square that had "won" a packing speed contest B|. From that experience, I can assure you that it's better to send really major repairs like that back to the factory or to someone who does it ALL the time.

You want sturdiness in the few functions it does more than you want a huge variety of functions.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey, Jessica!

I've been sewing since I was a wee lass, and I can honestly tell you that if you buy the machine that you can easily afford right now (the cheapo $100 Singer from WalMart or whereever) you will only end up frustrated! It will not be able to sew adequately through multiple layers, and the tension will most likely be all jacked up by the time you've had the thing for 6 months. Save your money and get the quality machine you really need & want, you won't regret it.

Blue skies,
Karen

P.S.
Wendy is right on - you don't need lots of features, either...just the basics will do the job! I have a Bernina, absolutely love it; and my rigger has an industrial Bernina, just in case you're curious. :)

Get an industrial sewing machine.

What are your plans? As a senior rigger most of the machine skills you'll use involve patching a canopy . If you attend a rigging course, you'll probably learn patching skills from 'Rags' at PD. He's an excellent instructor and had me making near perfect patches on my first attempt.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

The minimum for parachute repairs is E thread. That requires a machine strong enough for size 18 to 22 needles (110 in Europe).
Your best buy is a simple, heavy, old, cast-iron table-top machine.
For example, I used a Pfaff 230 for many years. My Pfaff helped me build two canopies, replace Velcro, patch jumpsuits, etc. A Pfaff 230 will do most of the repairs that an FAA Senior Rigger is allowed to do. You can pick up a decent used Pfaff for a fraction of the cost of new.

When your Master Rigger mentor starts asking you to do repairs that involve canopy tapes or thick corners of containers, he will also provide the heavy-duty industrial machines needed for thicker seams.