kallend

Competition exit

Real 4-way is done on back-to-backs -- your break is from takeoff to 1,000 agl.

I much rather train back to back, but some people can't remember the next dive, so we have to go 20's:(.

We went away from back to backs because we found that if we made a mistake on the first jump, we usually just repeated it on the second. Going to alternate loads (15s at SDC) allowed us a few minutes to talk through a problem.

Yes, but I also believe it may have had something to do with your team having 250% more talking to do.

Of course, I'm just assuming it takes a bit longer to debrief a 10-way than a 4-way. ;)

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yes, but I also believe it may have had something to do with your team having 250% more talking to do.

Of course, I'm just assuming it takes a bit longer to debrief a 10-way than a 4-way. ;)

how could it -- here's the 10 way debreif "go faster #8" ;):)
to answer the back to back question.... we even do this is we exit a murphy flake;)... you prep two skydives, jump them both back to back, and debreif them both on the 20's then repeat them with improvements. This is really just for drill dives (one block and a random, or random speed). the first of the back to back we get out at 10.5 to give us some more time to catch the plane. sometimes we get out at 10.5 the second lift too.... and sometimes the pilot is reading playboy and he forgets us completely (yup, has happened more than once).

That's the ticket. We only do it because we can never remember the second point.

Someday get some of your 4-way buddies together and try doing, say, a Thacker's Beartrap in 12 seconds from a no-show exit, and see how the debrief goes ("ouch" will probably feature in there somewhere).

That's the ticket. We only do it because we can never remember the second point.

Someday get some of your 4-way buddies together and try doing, say, a Thacker's Beartrap in 12 seconds from a no-show exit, and see how the debrief goes ("ouch" will probably feature in there somewhere).

I did, it was fun, but not my cup of tee, I would much rather turn points. no ouchy either. apparently you didn't see "Cutaway" so the humor was lost.

I did, it was fun, but not my cup of tee, I would much rather turn points. no ouchy either. apparently you didn't see "Cutaway" so the humor was lost.

I did see it, but had purged all knowledge of it from my brain. In fact, I wish you hadn't reminded me.:P

PS if you and your buddies can do a Beartrap www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/beartrap.jpg in 12 seconds from a USPA rules 10-way exit, you guys would take silver at Nationals, since Airspeed took over 15.

I did see it, but had purged all knowledge of it from my brain. In fact, I wish you hadn't reminded me.:P

PS if you and your buddies can do a Beartrap www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/beartrap.jpg in 12 seconds from a USPA rules 10-way exit, you guys would take silver at Nationals, since Airspeed took over 15.

in fact, just a couple weeks ago we built that same formation.... a few of the folks around DeLand know a little about 10 way;):)

in fact, just a couple weeks ago we built that same formation.... a few of the folks around DeLand know a little about 10 way;):)

I met a bunch of them at nationals, too. However, in the history of the event only two teams have ever beaten a 12.0 for the Beartrap under USPA rules (Airspeed did 11.4 in 2001, and STL did a sub 10 this year; the GK's best is 14.2 and Deguello's best is around 17 or so), so if you guys can do it in 12, come and show us next year.

Ok, I don't know what anybody else thinks about John's passion for 10-way, but I will say this; ya gotta love a guy that actually does some research.

4-way has been researched and analyzed to an amazing degree of minutia. I'm -very- glad to see that there are a few folks (ok, they pretty much only jump at SDC) that do the same for 10-way.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ok, I don't know what anybody else thinks about John's passion for 10-way, but I will say this; ya gotta love a guy that actually does some research.

4-way has been researched and analyzed to an amazing degree of minutia. I'm -very- glad to see that there are a few folks (ok, they pretty much only jump at SDC) that do the same for 10-way.

What else is there to do in a Chicago winter?

Carl Daugherty is as knowledgeable about 10-way as anyone, and he pretty much single handedly revived interest in the event. He's at Deland (I think).

10-way is balls-out skydiving, which is why I find it so much fun (also it's not quite so physically exhausting as 4-way, which might be why there are a lot of older guys on 10-way teams). At Nationals this year 10-way was the third most popular event measured by number of participants, and it wasn't very far behind 8-way.

It's also the only event I know where a bunch of weekend warriors have a realistic chance to stand on the podium next to Airspeed (which was WAY COOL).

As a 4-way competitor, I would rather do back to backs all day. That being said. I had a blast doing 10 way. It was some of the most fun that I have ever had with 9 people I had never met before;). I will do it again but I can't see making it my event. Props to STL for following their passion and kicking some serious ass. You guys/gals worked hard and blew away the competition. You deserved that medal and should wear it proudly.

Chris

Carl is indeed at DeLand, and is doing some crazy 10-way here - I jumped with them couple of weeks back, and I'm still sore :o.
It was fun though - scared the crap out of me several times but for some odd reason (that I can't explain to myself) I'm joining them again the next time :)

Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

Carl is indeed at DeLand, and is doing some crazy 10-way here - I jumped with them couple of weeks back, and I'm still sore :o.
It was fun though - scared the crap out of me several times but for some odd reason (that I can't explain to myself) I'm joining them again the next time :)

Kolla

Was Carl jumping with Lennie the Leaping Lemur?

I expect you're joining them again because you had fun doing it last time.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's also the only event I know where a bunch of weekend warriors have a realistic chance to stand on the podium next to Airspeed (which was WAY COOL).

Yes it was John, Amen to that. B| Let's go back and do it again this year! Any knowledge by the way on when the team intends to start practicing? Are you going to be our captain again?
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."