skymick

help with 8-10 ways

Over the last w/e i did 4 8-10 ways, im still a lowbie (100 jumps) and while ever since ive had my B ive been doin 4 ways and had no problems with fallrate hoever and every one of the jumps i did on the w/e I ended up falling WAY too fast. On all the jumps i was meant ot be first to dock on a 4 way base and even when trying slow falling str8 from exit I would fall right past it and cant get back up (except for 1 jump) my jumpsuit is fairly tight but like i said its perfect for 4 ways so apart from buy a baggier jumpsuit does anyone have any tips on staying level (or above) the formation. When slow falling my technique is to sick my bum out, point my feet outwards (i have boosters) and try not to look up at the formation....

Thanks,

Mick

If you are not falling way faster, try leaving your jumpsuit unzipped to about the chest strap. When I was experiencing a shrinking jump suit, I did this often and it worked. Also, of course, don't look up at formation. Look to the side as you try to get back up.

relax your arch. I know it sounds easy, but if you went through AFF, you were told ARCH ARCH AAAAARRRCCCHHHHH. that gets built into your skydiving and its hard to get rid of, instead of falling witha real hard arch, relax into the air, you will fall slower. if all else fails, you can buy sleeves to go over your arms that create drag, but I dont' recommend that, and as someone else already said, a tee over your jump suit also works (watch the handles). also, when trying to slow fall, you want to de-arch in your spin, not necissarily "stick you bum up", your chest should be caved in shoulders to hips, in fact, your pelvis will still be lower.

Falling slow is more difficult than falling fast. I have tried to slow down and get up by extending my arms and legs. Put my feet (booties) in a chaplin position and try to dearch. Mostly that techniq has slowed me down a bit, and made me track forwards having to fly back to the formation. Took forever. After my last instruction jump I was told to pull my stomack in, much the same way you would do if you got a punch in the stomack. I went low on my next 4-way, and tried that. Boom, got right back up there.
Bottom line is, I think it's better to work on your techniq first before you start fixing it with clothing.
Also, a good thing is to not have the heading against the formation so that you have to look up. That makes you arch, and impossible to get a good dearch. Turn 90 degrees and look at the formation you're trying to get back up to, to the side.
I only got 75 jumps so far, but this is the advices that have been given to me and it seems to work great. :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

On of the keys is to start slowing down before you go low.

Anticipate that the formation (whatever its size) will start to slow down as soon as it builds. Typically, when a base forms and the people on it do not concentrate on picking the fall rate up, it will slow down. So anticipate that.

I've found the most efficient way to slow down quickly for me is this (and yes, you'll have different poeple saying all sorts of diff things):

- suck your gut in and de-arch, almost violently at the hips
- bring your arms down below your shoulders and roll down you shoulders
- I dont do anything with my legs.

This position is ehought to really give you a sudden slow down and keep up with an all of a sudden slow rate, WHILE KEEPING YOU IN PLACE. Extending you legs and using your booties may very weel slow you down, but you'll probably end up going under the base, and making some real close friends.
Remster