Jumperpaula

How were you RW jumps this weekend 7-20

I know there is a "Weekend Numbers" thread in Talkback, but I wanna hear about your RW jumps this weekend.

Lots of team stuff going on, practices for next weekend's TSL meet.

I got 9 in this weekend.
Including 3 20 ways (good practice for the Ballunar Liftoff jumps coming in August at NASA). 2 jumpers got their first 20 way.

Couple of 16 ways, a 14 way a 4 way, a 6 way and a 7 way. Great Dives.

We did a Tshirt dive for a Baylor College football team photo shoot wearing these Gold Tshirts. That was different. Hope they got some good shots. Maybe Josh Hill will let us know how the photos turned out.
Supposed to be the Cover shot of the School Paper for opening of Football Season.

All 5 teams at the DZ were practicing and the Freeflyers were gone to the Dallas Boogie. It was a Belly Flyer Weekend at the DZ.

How were your RW jumps?

I wasn't on the jump (for two obvious reasons ;)) but I was on the same formation load where there was an attempt to set the Texas all-ladies formation record. They went for a 29-way but didn't quite get it (dunno if they did later).

It was kinda cool watching the formation coming together from the back of the Sky Van after they left.

The guy-gal ratio on the ride up wasn't too shabby either. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Well, only got 4 this weekend, two of which were (gasp!) freefly solos. I'm having a hell of a time with that head down stuff!

The other 2 were with a girl trying to get her A-license, working on docking and re-docking. One of those was her first 4-way, and I haven't had that much fun spending a whole jump building a 4-way star in a long time. She was soooooo excited. I really enjoy coaching!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

two of which were (gasp!) freefly solos. I'm having a hell of a time with that head down stuff!

Even though this is the RW forum <>....

Head down is freaking hard. It's taken me ~150-200 jumps working strictly on head down to get to where I can fly in docking proximity with someone, take (and switch) grips & hold the slot.

Pointing your head at the ground ain't the problem. Fall rate control, falling straight down the pipe (rather than zooming) & horizontal proximity are the things that are really hard to learn.

Just takes time & lots of jumps. Newbie sitfliers are good for target practice... ;)

K back to the RW chat. ;)

- Z

only made 3 jumps this weekend but they were fun.

- launched an 8-way double diamond that tried to funnel but managed to work out somehow. Still got 5 or 6 points out of it.

- a really nice 3 point 20-way .

- a 10-way with video. Of course, this one wasn't the better of the three ;-)

One of those was her first 4-way, and I haven't had that much fun spending a whole jump building a 4-way star in a long time. She was soooooo excited. I really enjoy coaching!

Ahhh, there is nothing better than that coming down from a skydive and seeing that "Permagrin" and someone says to you "that was the best skydive I've ever had!"

It's a cool feeling! Keep jumping with her-She'll be out skydiving you by next summer....;).

pretty awesome weekend with my team. Worked with Gary from Majik to tighten up some stuff as I'm new to the IC slot. really got some awesome info and miles of improvement. starting @ 7 AM was a bit rough, but well worth it. blocks 1, 8, 11, 18, 19 are worlds better. got some compliments on my 360s in #15 as well. rock on.

on a frightening note, some student tracked into our deployment. upon landing he said - "oh, yeah. I got out and when i went to play around I noticed the spot was bad so i tracked to the DZ and didn't look when pulling." nto to mention he pulled as we were fully open. His deploying canopy was about 10 feet max from me. shudder.

back in the tunnel friday!!!

Rock on Girl! You can tell Nationals is creeping up, all the teams are jumping their asses off.

Of the 5 teams on the DZ, 3 had coaches this weekend. The other two trained all weekend starting Friday, and at least one has a trip back to the tunnel schedules (which is quit an expense from Texas either West or East).

Deguello had the weekend off, so it was really cool making fun jumps with Tom and Jack. That hasn't happened too often this season.

on a frightening note, some student tracked into our deployment. upon landing he said - "oh, yeah. I got out and when i went to play around I noticed the spot was bad so i tracked to the DZ and didn't look when pulling." nto to mention he pulled as we were fully open. His deploying canopy was about 10 feet max from me. shudder.

Glad you and your team are safe. That being said, I'd then beat his ass.

Hopefully one of the staff had a talk with him.
(I'm usually tasked with being the landing police and/or the quizmaster when not instructing in the air.)

BTW, your girl, Mel kicked booty in the SSL...

Rock on Girl! You can tell Nationals is creeping up, all the teams are jumping their asses off.

actually 7 AM is when it is below 95 degrees here, and Tstorms roll in in the afternoon so we try to use non-rainy daylight up. :S

Glad you and your team are safe. That being said, I'd then beat his ass.

That's happened to two different teams at my DZ in the last month. Where a freeflier has exited after a team and ended up "a little too close" on deployment.

Wonder if it's as much a common problem as it seems to be lately.

Especially for low time freeflyers. Maybe they are going by the (x) second rule instead of the "distance across the ground" rule. Never hurts to turn around and say....give us (x) seconds depending on what you know about the uppers.

Im just guessing, but seems like low time freefliers don't realize how close they could actually drift (flail, slide etc.) to a formation.

Did 3 on Sunday. It was "Back to Bellies" weekend at Perris; Dan BC, Andy Delk and Eric Gin of AZ Vengeance came out to organize. All three of them are formerly Perris jumpers.

First and best jump of the day was a four way; me, Andy, Gulcin and Pam. Launched a stairstep diamond from the Skyvan that went off perfectly! Starting turning points on the hill. The video guy missed the exit and the first five seconds of the dive dammit... but I counted 13 points once he got us into frame. I think we went through a four point all random dive at least four times though. Sweet skydive!

Second was a 6 way, again with Andy. Turned 6 or 7 points on that one, including a block move.

Last was an 8 way with Eric. I went a half second after go and the rest of the base left me behind. Overamped and ended up going low :$:$ Ah well, better to do it then than on a big way! I gave up for the day after that; it was pretty obvious to me that I was a bit too tired to be jumping.

All in all, a good day.

Did 3 on Sunday. It was "Back to Bellies" weekend at Perris; Dan BC, Andy Delk and Eric Gin of AZ Vengeance came out to organize. All three of them are formerly Perris jumpers.

We had some Arizona guys too. I've heard that when they are not practing, they are encouraged and keep a busy schedule of getting out and coaching and going to DZ's and jumping. I thinks it's a great concept of keeping the spirit of the sport alive.

First and best jump of the day was a four way; me, Andy, Gulcin and Pam. Launched a stairstep diamond from the Skyvan that went off perfectly! Starting turning points on the hill. The video guy missed the exit and the first five seconds of the dive dammit... but I counted 13 points once he got us into frame. I think we went through a four point all random dive at least four times though. Sweet skydive!

ahhhh, there is something about 4 way - an electricity!

Second was a 6 way, again with Andy. Turned 6 or 7 points on that one, including a block move.

Overamped and ended up going low :$:$

I was almost down there too a few times this weekend. I've moved up to 10 pounds and Im skydiving better, but I've always had that "what if I can't get back up..." anxiety.

Sounds like a great time!

That's happened to two different teams at my DZ in the last month. Where a freeflier has exited after a team and ended up "a little too close" on deployment.

Wonder if it's as much a common problem as it seems to be lately.

Especially for low time freeflyers. Maybe they are going by the (x) second rule instead of the "distance across the ground" rule. Never hurts to turn around and say....give us (x) seconds depending on what you know about the uppers.

Im just guessing, but seems like low time freefliers don't realize how close they could actually drift (flail, slide etc.) to a formation.

Newbie freefliers always worry me a bit, knowing now what I know.

It's not so much the time thing, though that may be a problem for some folks. The thing with freeflying when you're first starting out is controlling sliding.

Newbie freefliers always front/backslide when they are starting out. Usually they backslide while learning to sit & frontslide when learning head down.

Head down is especially worrisome because you can cover a lot of ground without even knowing it. That's why I tell newbies to try to take & maintain a heading perpendicular to jump run (and actually it's a good habit for experienecd freefliers as well). If you forward/backslide you won't drift over the previous group or under the following group.

Looking up & down occasionally doesn't hurt either. ;)

- Z

I spent the weekend jumping 3 way with a newer jumper just off student status. After all we can't loose him to the dark side. It was quite fun actually tuned a few points and it always helps me with adjusting fall rates and makes me a little quicker.

Now off topic, any truth to the rumors I hear that Spaceland is buying yet another plane?

I spent the weekend jumping 3 way with a newer jumper just off student status. After all we can't loose him to the dark side.

Now your getting it. Feels good being the "organizer" so to speak...right?

It was quite fun actually tuned a few points and it always helps me with adjusting fall rates and makes me a little quicker.

Learned this from Don, you can always work or your own stills, on every single skydive :)

Now off topic, any truth to the rumors I hear that Spaceland is buying yet another plane?

I haven't heard that, unless you know something I don't. I did hear that San Marcos has their otter for sale on Wreckdot. We have two otters and a cessna. That's 2 more planes than most dz's. - Inquiring minds...want to know!!