sandi

reline on an old canopy

I have a Sabre 120 that's 10 years old and has about 1000 jumps on it. I had it inspected last week when I got my reserve repacked. The master rigger that checked it out said it's seriously out of trim and I shouldn't even be jumping it until I get it relined. Basically it's flying in brakes because the brake lines are significantly shorter than they should be. (And I thought it was my fault that I wasn't getting a good flare out of it... still pretty sure it's me.)

So, I'm wondering, on a canopy this old is it even worth it to get a new line set on it. Or is it time to retire it. I have another canopy, but I had planned on keeping this one in my second rig. If I get it relined can I expect it to last another 300-400 jumps?

Sandi,

This is completely anecdotal, but, I just got one of my canopys relined (a Jedei 136) and the change in the thing is amazing. It's gone from opening so hard I could barely hold my head up on Mondays, to being frighteningly slow, and the flight and landings have improved noticably too. A couple of more experienced jumpers I've talked to say this sort of improvement isn't all that unsual. You may want to consider getting it done, as you may end up w/ what seems like a new canopy.

Ted

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Well considering PD has some of it's sponsorship canopy's that have sever thousand jumps on them and all they do is reline them......I'd say as long as the nylon is good....go for the reline. it's worth the 300 bucks or less to reline the thing....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Hi Sandy!
I would suggest that you send it to PD for an inspection, and based on what PD says once they have checked it out, make up your mind about the reline.
The cost of the inspection is $15.00, and the reline (assuming you have microlines) is $185.00.
If needed, PD can also check the porosity levels of the fabric to make sure the fabric is still holding up - and if the fabric doesn't look good they will probably recommend a "clamp test" to check the strength of the fabric.
Get in touch with Donna Wagner at PD ([email protected]) - she can let you know the details - she's a great gal :)Blue ones!
Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

Provided the fabric is in good shape, it is probably cost effective it to re-line your Sabre.
Expect to re-line a sport canopy every 300 to 600 jumps.
When I re-lined my Sabre 170, openings improved a little and the turf surf got 50% longer with the same approach.
To determine how much life is left in your fabric, start by examining the center tail, near the orange warning label. A few tiny hoes are normal. Too many holes may mean a patch is in order.
Next inspect around the bridle attachment.
Frayed cross ports are an excellent indication of canopy condition. Alittle fraying is normal after 1000 jumps, but tears that extend all the way to a seam are bloody expensive to repair.
Anyways, your friendly local rigger will cheerfully inspect your canopy and tell you whether it is cost effective to re-line your Sabre. Most of the time, re-lining a ZP canopy is cost effective and will make your canopy fly like new for a fraction of the cost of new.