potatoman

Night swooping

As the subject says. Have you done this, how was this accomplished, in a relatively safe manner?
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Well, first thing, you need to have the right mindset to do it. Its not just another jump or swoop for that matter.

The folks at Elsinore have more experience with this, but we did it last year up in Lincoln. We set up a huge construction light the lit the entire pond.

Each swooper put on a bright beacon and we limited each pass to two or three people.

We proceeded to swoop the pond. I think logistically, its easy to do, just need a lighted area (as with any night jump). The hard part is have the right mindset, judgement, and decision making abilities. Night time can really fuck with your perception, especially if you are also trying to make gates or swoop a pond.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

As mentioned, lots of lights. To include the landing area and surrounding. Your sight picture is more than just you looking at one point on the ground, it's the sum total of everything you are seeing. If you only light one spot, you're eliminating all of the 'context clues' that you would normally have when flying an approach.

The other key is being very familiar with the LZ and the specific approach you're going to fly. Fly the same approach on at least 6 or 8 jumps, right up until the sunset load, on the day of the night jump.

Why the fuck would you want to swoop at night? Day swoops require hundreds of jumps to get the sight picture why would you even attempt to do this at night? Sorry I just think this is fucked up.

Hundreds of jumps? Ok, what if you have 1000's of swoops, with 100's (or even 1000's) on the same canopy at the same DZ? Does that make it less fucked up?

Decodiver

Why the fuck would you want to swoop at night? Day swoops require hundreds of jumps to get the sight picture why would you even attempt to do this at night? Sorry I just think this is fucked up.

It seems not terribly worse than going to a new drop zone where all the ground features are unfamiliar. In the end, you evaluate your altitude and look at your position relative to the 'runway' area you'll be landing on. Having a good horizon and visual cues away from the LZ must be useful but aren't essential. I'll leave it to the professional swoopers to discuss where they are pointing their eyes at all times during a swoop approach.

Certainly one might 'back off', when one has to put extra mental effort into the general setup, focusing less (or not at all) on hitting the gate.

(I've pretty much only done 180 degree turn swoops when it was dark with cars or lamps illuminating the LZ, and wasn't trying to hit gates.)

It may take hundreds of jumps to get the sight picture for the perfect competition swoop, but we're just talking about a swoop, not trying to break the distance world record on your first night swoop.

I am not a current jumoer but night swoops are amount my most memorable. One is clearly in my fav five. H&P from 13k(maybe a sec delay) at SDC. Deep brakes and contemplation. A run from the landing area to the campers while intently looking for my visual line. And a serious run at the old pond(swimming) there lit by the bonfire on the corner. This was not particularly smart though and I highly discourage this sort of behavior. I was in the zone and very "on" my game and have real good night eyesight. Midnight always was the best time for barefoot waterskiing. So why not swoooping in my mind back them.

Don't come here much. Was checking something on incidents and noticed this thread and my heart started racing. I can't really explain. I never got the wuffo first jump rush. But night swoops....omg.

Oh..and btw. I didn't get out clean.

edit to actually answer question. While all my limited night jumps(6-7) have been hard swoops, the biggest thing on night jumps is the same as any swoop. Do not feel the necessity to commit. This could be a big event(no natter how small the numbers) in that of an overload of adrenaline, spectators watching, ect.... This could easily translate into that last final commitment when everything didn't feel just right. There is no pause button so don't let pride get in the way. Lights no lights whatever. Some can not see depth perception in the day to flare much less at night. Just like some can not look straight down out of an airplane to spot. Other can have no problem getting down and dirty in the dark. If your not sure where you fit..those last few seconds are not the time to find out. Are you asking for yourself or to organize this? If your trying to figure out how to make it safer for yourself by asking here than I think you need to step back and re-evaluate if this is worth it. I realize this forum is here for advice but this is a jump that relies so heavily on individual perceptions that if your concerned enough to come here and ask then I would walk away. Only you can know your night vision and depth perception. You need to have complete confidence in your ability. You mind can not be blurred with doubt and make a panic decision. Don't do it,.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

One of the most important things in swooping is consistency. the more you can do your turn the same on every jump the better and more predictable it will be. I try to focus on adjusting my set up better and better on every jump so that I can do the exact same turn (or as close as possible) on every jump. then when doing night swoops or "sunset swoops" you learn to trust yourself much more.
Many people dont like it but I have counted through my turn for about the last 1500 jumps or so. and I feel that helps the turn be more consistent regardless of outside factors.
This is not to say that you should just count through your turn and all will be great, it is just a tool to use to help get yourself more consistent
If you find yourself arguing with a good idea, you may want to stop arguing.