rickfri59

Rolling the tail on a Sabre

I've only been packing my rig for my last 10 jumps. Like most other nubies it's a scream getting the nylon into the D-bag. I've picked up one tip that saves me time (s folding the top half of the canopy and putting it in the bag first). But I was wondering how much the tail can be rolled. Seems as though the tighter (more rolls) the tail, the better the cocoon would stay together while s-folding and stuffing in the bag. What do the vereran packers or riggers have to say?

Rolling the tail excessivly to get it in the bag is a bad thing. You are just asking for a line over mal. Have you checked out a Psycho -pack? It's safest and fastest way to tame a ZP canopy.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

How much is too much? The owners manual doesn't specify.

Easy. When you can feel yourself rolling up fabric that isn't a part of the tail then you've gone too far.;)

Actually... 6 or 7 good, tight pencil-rolls should do the trick.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Hi Rick,
here is my 2 cents worth, I make no recommedations but offer this to make your own conclusions: when I first started jumping (military free fall) we flat packed. During initial training the instructors would check your pack at each stage. It was a great opportunity to understand how the canopy was put together, the A,B,C& D lines, importance of clearing the stabilizers, a clear line channel, and all the other little details that I found over whelming at the time, but know truly appreciate. After my military days I continued jumping, still flat packing, then into the pro-pack, and now I do a slightly modified combination of pro / phsycho using steps that have become my standard operating procedure (SOP) based on results and what I feel comfortable with. I continue to review what I do to see if there is a faster / better way - I don't mean to imply that faster is better, but only trying to find steps that gives me a good / reliable opening pack job in the least amount of time. Throughout the process I always think about the early lessons that I learned back in the flat pack days and knowledge of the canopy. I keep my critical checks in place and roll the canopy - with very good results. Know thy canopy - standardize your packing steps - doing it the same way every time, and adjust based on results.
Cheers - David
phat, dumb & happy

Here is the link for psycho-packing.

http://precision.aerodynamics.com/psycho/psycho_pack.htm

Pscho-packing starts out the same as PRO-packing, but changes when you lay it on the floor.
I have psycho-packed dozens of different canopies and they all opened well. Precision does caution that psycho-packing may not work work well on canopies designed for extremely slow openings (i.e. Icarus Extremely Extreme VX).
A bridle extension is nice, but not mandatory for psycho-packing.
The roll that is the last step of psycho-packing can be adapted to any other method. rolling definitely makes it easier to control the canopy while you stuff it into the d-bag.

In addition to creating a line over, you risk burning the bajeezus out of the tail. I put about 20 nice size burn holes in my first canopy by rolling the tail too tightly so I could get it in the bag easier. Now I roll the tail 3 times max.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville