skydive435

Twisting brake lines after i release

I believe its probably what curt is using to guide his toggles when he is competing. It allows his toggles and all extra brake line to be at the top of his rear risers vs the guide rings lower. This results in less input from the brake lines while on the front risers and rears as well allows his hands to be at the top of his risers.

Either way the brake line and toggle are still stowed at the lower ring for deployments but the rigging allows that to become void after unstowing your brakes, much like a rds but for your brake lines. Not everyone uses it but it has advantages and ive only seen one malfunction with a friend as a result due to misrigging it while packing.

Yes, some risers have this mode. Know as "swoop mode with upper second guide ring". You can put steering lines throw top ring and stow brakes with lower one. In this case you have some 4 inches slack in steering lines after unstowing brakes. Or can use this risers in normal configuration.

Interesting - this is something you should do from time to time, but it's never occurred to me to do it while I'm under canopy. I think I'd sooner be watching for traffic - but without seeing the original video it's hard to tell how much of a distraction it would be.

It's still a mystery to me how those twists get in there in the first place though - I'd swear my toggles don't leave my hands from the moment I unstow the brakes after opening to the moment I re-stow them after landing. Presumably I must be actively putting those twists in there as I set the brakes, and if I could break the habit then I'd never have twisted lines! :)

Interesting - this is something you should do from time to time, but it's never occurred to me to do it while I'm under canopy. I think I'd sooner be watching for traffic -

Thanks for making this comment. You do have a point, that you are better off paying attention to other things under canopy. Of course, if you have sufficient experience with the move and are alone in the sky, it's not tough to spin the toggles a couple times to untwist your lines. If you're not familiar, you can spend time looking up, going the wrong direction, and not watching where you're going.

There's another, much better reason not to do this under canopy - the problem with twists in the lines is that they can lead to tension knots if the lines 'curl' up in the line stows. So in order to avoid the tension knots, you untwist your lines before you pack, not after you open. That may help you in terms of the next opening, but you just put the cart before the horse with the previous opening.