sinker

PD's soft links

Can anyone out there explain PD's soft links to me? I'm having a hard time understanding how these could be more advantageous to have than stainless links. I'm talking specifically about strength rather than the advantages provided to slider grommets.

thx y'all

-the artist formerly known as sinker

The Spectra line has a higher tensile strength then the steel rapide links when stretched. RWS I think did some tests that showed the risers would break about the same time a Slink (when properly installed) would break, same could not be said for a rapide link. Plus the nice thing on a slink failure is it will most likely happen at opening when the system is loaded, the rapide link failure could happen at anytime, but is most likely to happen after the lines are unloaded and allowed to move at all, like after a hook turn or a spiral.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The test that convinced the FAA: linked in sequence, a #4 link, a #5 link, a reserve/tandem main Slink (tm), another #5 link, then a #4. In the pull-test, a hard link failed first, and two of the remaining hard links deformed to the width of the adjacent link's diameter. The Slink was undamaged.

Strength is not an issue for new Slinks. They do require inspection for wear -- but conventional links require regular inspection as well.

Mark

This is what I think of slinks and rapide links.
This is not what I know, but what I THINK. Several of the below statements are PROBABLY WRONG!!!

It's my understanding that the rapide links can cause nicks in the slider grommets. Hence more wear to the lines.

But as long as I've got bumper on my rapide links it shouldn't matter.

Slinks would make it easier to pull the slider behind your neck, but you could risk to have the slider punch away a toggle if it continues long enough down your risers.

Slinks will wear and need replacement, rapide lastst longer.
I would imagine that slinks would cause more wear to the fingertapped section of the canopy lines, due to more friction. Maybe eventually causing a line break.

Any opinions? I'm I totally wrong about the wear to the line thing?
This thread shoud have been in the gear and rigging forum.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Years ago, Parachutes de France proved that their soft links were stronger than the stitching holding the end of the riser together. P. de F. sold soft links for several years before Performance designs introduced "S;inks."

Structurally it is very simple. If you start with 1,000 pound suspension line and wrap it multiple times, it quickly adds up to more than the strength of a steel connector link.

As for wear and tear, I don't expect any soft link to last longer than a set of lines (300 to 600 jumps). It should be standard practice to replace soft links when you replace lines.
The first report of a failed Slink was related to a slider with a rough edge. Sorry, but if you jump a slider with rough grommets, you'll get no sympathy.

>It's my understanding that the rapide links can cause nicks in the
>slider grommets. Hence more wear to the lines.

If you have crummy bumpers, that's true.

>Slinks would make it easier to pull the slider behind your neck, but
> you could risk to have the slider punch away a toggle if it continues
> long enough down your risers.

True with certain (old) types of toggles. It's a gear compatibility issue. Also note that it takes more effort to deal with the slider since you almost _have_ to pull it down over the toggles; unless you do it might sit on your toggles and make it hard to release them.

>I would imagine that slinks would cause more wear to the
> fingertapped section of the canopy lines, due to more friction.
> Maybe eventually causing a line break.

The only reason that might be true is that people typically don't use bumpers with slinks, and bumpers do help with line wear near the attachement to the link/slink. However, above the bumper wear should be identical.