Casch

A Reserve Rip-Cord that CUTS the closing loop?

Ok, my mom called just to say hi, and she mentioned that she saw a Reserve Rip-Cord in ParaGear catalog that actually cuts the reserve closing loop instead of pulling a pin. I have never heard of such a thing. The only thing I knew of that cut the closing loop was a CYPRES cutter.

Now my mom (and I love her dearly) has much less knowlege of skydiving gear, so I'm wondering if maybe she mis-interpreted the ad? Is there such a thing as a closing-loop-cutting reserve rip cord?

The first thing that popped into my mind was she seen somthing about the CYPRES or Astra, as well as one of the FXC's ads. The former two cut the loop and the latter pulls the pin. I do not think there is a pin that will cut the closing loop (unless the pin is damaged).

Naw, and if you guys haven't heard of it, it doesn't exist. She HAD to have been reading about a CYPRES or something. Keep in mind she knows very little about gear other than what she learned in her FJC

I just wanted to verify the fact that she doesn't know what she's reading...

He! He!
Your mom was probably referring to a Cypres or Astra AAD. If she has the Para-Gear catalog open she might as well orderone for you.

Trivia: a British company did experiment with an AAD that included a "hot pin" to melt the closing loop. Apparently the electrically-heated pin was an attempt to avoid infringing on Cypres patents. Mind you, when FXC introduced their Astra AAD, they referred to a stack of patents related to reefing line cutters.I believe that rigger Allan Hewitt showed it at the 1997 PIA Symposium. Unfortunately the Guardian AAD never went into production.

I remember that from 1997. Allen and I rode over together to the Kennedy space center in 1993. He was still with the Red Devils then. We had an interesting discussion on BPA rigger ratings. The worst part was that for a master you had to build a rig. And even if there was nothing really wrong, the examiners always cut it up!>:(

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE