skymama

Riser inserts: Thanks Chuck!

Because of Chuck, aka Skymonkeyone, and his post about his cutaway in the BASE forum, I've decided to get riser inserts put in my rig tonight. I hadn't even heard of them until I read his post so I'm very thankful that he shared his experience with us. I don't really have the extra money for them...but then again one day it might be the best money that I've ever spent.

You can read his post here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=335903#335903
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

For about .50 cents you can accomplish the same thing. In 1997 Bill Booth and I had a discussion about them. He was playing with Teflon tape, plastic tubing squashed flat on one end, short hard housings, etc. I thought he was over engineering it. 1/4 " HDPE tubing available at any DIY home store (home depot etc.) works for me. I put some in a rig in about 1998 and it's never caused a problem. Cut it short enough that it goes in the cable keeper farther than the fold back of the tape. This will keep it in. It changes a twisted riser 1 g load from not being able to pull the cables at all to a normal cutaway.

Normal disclaimer applies. I'll tell anybody but I won't do it to anybodies rig but my own.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I agree they are a good idea to have, but at really low loadings they wont make that much of a difference. Gummesson from RWS told me they recommend them from 1.5 and higher. You don't have to panic if you jump without them at a low wing loading.

Make sure the tubing that goes in your riser inserts is sealed on the one end. I've seen where the end of a cable got caught on the end of an unsealed tube making the cutaway force way higher then it normally was. Also, make sure that an impact or cold will not crack the houseings. Freezing temps can cause plastic to crack and thats a lot of snag points or if it breaks all the way around it could create an impossible cutaway due to it being traped in between the broken parts.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I got the metal insets for my Vector and they do have one end sealed on them. My rigger also tacked them down, so I should be good to go. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

that's weird, I thought Vectors had them standard....

Nope they are an option, Derek just ordered a new set for his container and had to pull the inserts out of the old pair, which he also put in after market, except he put mirage inserts in instead of vector since that is what he had on hand. I think mirage comes standard with them since they came with my container and I didn't ask for them.

Also if you have a Jav, look to make sure they are tacked into the sleeve. When they 1st came out they weren't and Derek had seen one that had slid out and threw the loop of the 3-rings....if they would have cut away the riser wouldn't have detached since the tube was threw the loop.
Fly it like you stole it!