aykay

RDS is there any point right now?

With just the slider?

People do that every day, all day long. It increases the wear on the slider, but with a well built RDS it hasn't shown to be a problem for a lot of people.

I think Scott Robert's design and PD's design (yeah, I know), to be some of the best built out there, but that's MY opinion and others will have their favorite.

Yeah, like I said, I was talking about just the slider. So far no incidents anywhere? (knock on wood) But I guess we will be having this discussion after the 1st fatality on a removable slider on terminal opening ?

Personally I would opt for the removable slider just as easy as I opt for the collapsible PC. Definetly a big help even for almost everyone. The only thing that keeps me from doing this is the risk factor in terminal. Maby Im just a pussy... :$

So far no incidents anywhere?

I wouldn't say that, but I simply haven't heard of any major incidents that were a direct result of the RDS. The stuff I've heard about had other contributing factors, like letting a lineset get too many jumps on it, etc.

Maybe someone else has heard differently?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So far no incidents anywhere?

I wouldn't say that, but I simply haven't heard of any major incidents that were a direct result of the RDS. The stuff I've heard about had other contributing factors, like letting a lineset get too many jumps on it, etc.

Maybe someone else has heard differently?

I think that there was one incident last year or two years ago. It was reported at the incidents forum. I am to lazy to look it up.

There have been incidents, even a fatality due to carelessness, mis-rigging and poor packing of a full RDS.

A buddy at the last swoop comp in Sebastian talked to a couple of us about the problems he's been having with his used RDS slider popping off the ring on openings. Doesn't need to be pointed out that this can be pretty bad, especially on terminal openings, i think that's clear. But this was a very odd and (hopefully) singular occurrence, i've never actually seen that before and i am sure it has been corrected already.

The RDS slider DOES seem to wear out the lines quicker, especially thin HMA's, and especially at higher wingloadings. I find that the openings of my JVX are slightly more brisk and a bit less predictable when i use just the slider @ terminal, but i am able to somewhat correct it with a better packing technique. i think this is explained by the fact that we lose some surface area with JVX RDS slider vs stock one. With a FULL RDS, terminal openings are sweeter than with a stock slider, since there is more stuff coming down, slowing the opening. With all other canopies that have stabilizers, RDS slider doesnt lose surface as compared to a stock one, so openings should be same or even better.

When you add stuff to your gear to gain performance, you have to be ready to make some sacrifices, accept higher chances of malfunctions and be even more careful with your pack jobs. If you're not ready for that - then you dont need an RDS. The requirement of being able to hit the expected result on each one of your swoops goes unspoken. Dont be the clown in fancy swoop shorts with full RDS consistently flying 50 feet above the gates.

All of my full RDS openings have been at terminal. even in the comp I am in now (my only comp) we are exiting at 6k and I am first out in my passes, so smoking it down a 1000' helps me not have to worry about the guys above me and I like the openings better at terminal.

I was shown to attach a rubber band to the ring on top of the canopy and attach the very bottom of the bridle to the rubber band by wrapping it around a few times, This basically makes the bridle stay with the centre of the top skin until there is enough force to separate them. It will act similar to a non rds setup until the canopy starts to inflate.

I was told this stops the RDS from waving around while the canopy is not completely at linestrech and it made perfect sense to me...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Now that Mike chimed in, I remember the fatality and have thought of a couple of incidents. I had forgotten that when Keith went it that his RDS was involved.

There are still a lot of jumps done every weekend on partial and full RDS canopies with out incident, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I use a lookMa RDS on my standard velo 96, its slightly smaller so the openings are faster. Less shaking in the early stages than the stock slider openings are more on heading. Can be quite hard at terminal tho. The RDS on the comp velo 96 opens pretty much the same sub terminal, I haven't tried a terminal opening with that canopy tho.