keithbar

wingloadings and triathalon

When I'm loaded up with smoke and flags and other demo gear, my wingloading on my Triathlon is getting awfully close to 1.5. I've landed my Triathlon in no-wind on asphalt on a downtown street - with grace and elegance. The crowd loved it! In a situation like this, the fact that the 7-cell isn't the surfiest canopy around is a big advantage.

The canopy flies well, and the characteristics don't change remarkably except that things happen faster. The glide is about the same, and landings are similar, except they do get a bit more surf.

I'm not sure what you're looking for with a Triathlon loaded that high. Are there better options for you?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Tri135 was my back up canopy for wingsuit jumps a few years ago. I loaded it at 1.6+, probably 1.7. i dont recall how much i weighed back then :) It flew quite well and actually even swooped a little :)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49606;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49608;

well I've been jumping a sabre 190 loaded about 1.6 or so for over 900 jumps and 6 years or so and. I just got a second rig that has a tri 190 in in and was just wondering if there was anything I should look out for at higher wingloading most people that i know that jump one don't load it that high. thanks for the reply's guy keep em comeing
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I used to borrow a Tri 135 for wingsuiting, loaded 1.6. Then I bought a Tri 120, loaded 1.8. Flies stable in up to 5 twists (this from first-hand experience :S) and generally opens nicely for wingsuiting. The most stable canopy in turbulence in my experience, has a reasonable dive but not a great surf, and I do not find it hard to land, with or without induced speed, on a normal DZ or for a demo. It still has a reasonable glide (it will never beat a 9-cell of course); it does not feel overloaded. I have actually been the subject of approving glances from a dedicated swooper after a 270° turn to final in very light winds, who was the tiniest bit amazed I just did that on a Triathlon. Hey, if all you have is a hammer .. :) It may or may not be your thing, but it can be done.

At a 1000 jumps, you should be fine. It's a rather conservative design, loaded up to a point where it's still fun to fly while retaining the opening characteristics. I'm not entirely sure a [email protected] (as per your profile) is comparable to a [email protected] however, not to say they may be two entirely different animals. But it should still be a very, very good wingsuit canopy.

Johan.
I am. I think.

Does anyone have any experience jumping smaller Triathlons at higher wingloadings? 2.3-2.5 range

A few CRW teams jump tris at 2.0 or over, although I've never flown a competition tri (just normal and hybrid) to know how they compare.

ciel bleu,
Saskia