padu

My experience with the Velocity

Backgrounder: I have a tad over 1300 jumps. Started jumping the sabre 150 with 36 jumps; moved to a batwing 134 with 87 jumps and then to a stiletto 120 with 382 jumps. I've been jumping the stiletto for almost 1000 jumps with wing loading around 1.7 (1.6 is the most recent).

This weekend I've done my first 4 jumps with the velocity 111 loaded at 1.8 and I absolutely had a blast... so here's my account before I forget it.

First jump
I deployed around 7000 to play with the canopy. I feel a much smoother opening than the stiletto, but the velocity doesn't stay on heading, it goes left and right, but in a smooth fashion. I liked it.
Then I played with the brakes and I notice that it has more range than the stiletto. Did a front riser 180 and then I experimented what everybody was saying that it doesn't recover from dives... it really doesn't!! It stays going down until you make an input on the brakes.
For landing I decided to do what I'm used to do: a 90 degrees left turn using front riser. At the altitude I turned, with the stiletto I'd need to hang on both risers until it was almost time to flare.. with the velocity it wasn't needed. It got me a nice swoop... and the best thing (windless conditions) is that at the end of the swoop I pulled the brakes even more and the canopy took off... The stiletto wouldn't lift under these conditions and I'd probably kill it.

Second jump: I'm getting used with the pull out, so my body position wasn't perfect and I didn't throw the pilot chute far enough to be fully inflated... it took a bit longer to start pulling the bag and it opened with a 180 twist. With the stiletto experience, I was already prepared for the worse, but the velocity smoothly untwisted itself... that was nice.

Third jump: nothing new

Forth jump: hop n' pop from 3000. I had bad experiences with exit and pull, but again, the opening was very smooth this time as well. Since there was absolutely no traffic around, I tried a bit more than 90 and used the two front risers to align for landing. Speed was considerable faster, but with the smoother recovery arch, it didn't feel rushed. I was amazed at how long the swoop was in comparison with the stiletto. I felt the canopy responsive at all times.

Since I'm in a very privileged location (san diego, close to perris and elsinore) and there are so many good canopy instructors around, I'll probably take a canopy flight course to start extracting more juice from it in a safe manner.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

You know the only thing I hope people don't target here is the WL. Its under the recommendations but it sounds like so far the openings are great, and you are really respecting the canopy. Absolutely the canopy course will help you squeez more out of it, and like you, I cant wait to attend one myself this summer. Dude, rock that Velo and don't look back.

Opening are still smooth, but this weekend had my first twist... nothing serious... half a turn and in seconds it was gone... but what is interesting is that it opened straight ahead, wobble wobble - twist...

that's new to me and I'm still getting used to.

And for the crowd saying it's > 2.0 or nothing on a velo... I'm sorry... but I'm going to the velo first... then I downsize...
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

I think its a wise decision to move from non-cross braced to cross braced in the same wing loading.

much better than both a switch to a cross braced and down sizing in the same move.

With his jump numbers and experience under a Stilleto, I think its a very smart and conservative move to go to the Velo 111. Isn't that what gets pounded into everyone's head who is converting to a cross braced???

We finally have someone posting the smartest way to make the transition and immediately folks start in on him.

Come on guys..........you know he's doing it right.

OP............Now follow up with some canopy training / courses, and I think you'll do great.

I think its a wise decision to move from non-cross braced to cross braced in the same wing loading.

I agree.

My comment was a general statement that until you're going above 1.9, there's really no point in jumping a x-braced. Well, unless you want the "i'm a cool guy and jump a x-braced" factor.

This thread made me think of people I've seen jumping "large" x-braced canopies loaded 1.7 or so. *Wow, good thing they're on that VX, lord knows you shouldn't load a XF2 that high!*

I'm sure you've seen it too. If people really want to spend all the extra money for a VX or a Velo and load it "lightly" then I guess its they money.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yeah I see your point too..........

probably equally as good of an idea to downsize on the Stiletto for a few hundred jumps and then move over to a cross braced.

But I think either way.........he's doing it conservatively and in a safe manner.

I think that canopies like Velocity, Xaos, JVX, VX were designed with performance, speed and heavy wing loadings in mind. Some folks think that a cross braced canopy loaded less than 2:1 is "underloaded" or "not optimal". I've even heard people say it's "unsafe". Of course that's BS, there is nothing unsafe about a lighter loaded x-braced wing. While i agree that there is very little point in driving a Ferrari to get groceries, i mean jumping a [email protected], there is nothing wrong with it. In fact the x-bracing provides extra rigidity to the wing, which can be a nice benefit in less then ideal wind conditions. And lets face it, 1.8 is NOT a timid wingloading, it's a very mature one. And the man seems to be on the safe side in his choices.

I've done my first 4 jumps with the velocity 111 loaded at 1.8 and I absolutely had a blast...

I bet you that if you tried any other canopy smaller than your current one you'd have the same reaction. I remember how much i loved my Jedei 170. It was so fast :S. Then the 150, i loved it. Then I had a blast with a 136. Then 120, 114, 111, 104, 97, 94, 87... you get the pattern :ph34r:. What i am saying is each smaller canopy you jump will be the smallest and probably the fastest one you've ever jumped. You WILL have a blast. Just dont go over your head with downsizing, it can be addictive, everyone here knows people who downsized too fast and now have something broken to show for it and tell stories of what not to do. Learn to fly your current wing first, then try something else. Dont be the guy sitting on the ground showing people scars and metal in his body. Be the guy with many years in the sport, thousands of skydives and no injuries, that's much cooler.

In fact the x-bracing provides extra rigidity to the wing, which can be a nice benefit in less then ideal wind conditions. And lets face it, 1.8 is NOT a timid wingloading, it's a very mature one. And the man seems to be on the safe side in his choices.

Bingo.

The idea that the generally accepted 'optimum' competition WL for X-braced canopies are the only WL to jump them at is rediculous.

The OP in this thread never once mentioned any cometition experience or asperations. What he did mention was a solid history of sensable downsizing, and a fair number of jumps at a higher WL on a Stiletto. The guy is an ideal candidate for the canopy he's got at the WL he's at.

I started off jumping a Velo (90) at 2.3, and loved it. Because of the type of the type of jumps that I do and where I jump, I decieded to upsize to a 96 to make it more practical. I ended up finding a great deal on a 103, two sizes up, and have been jumping at 1.9 for the last 500 jumps. It's really ideal for what I do, and I think I'd miss the sq ft had I found a 96.

The same 'myth' that everyone seems to rail against, the one where everyone feels like they 'need' a crossbrace, is the same as the myth that every crossbrace 'needs' to be loaded 2.0 on up. It's just wrong.

A canopy needs to be loaded at whatever WL is both safe and functional for the job at hand. I shoot tandem videos, and like to be able to float around with the tandem canopies after opening. I also like to get home from a long spot, and when I get there, I like to go big and lay down a long swoop. I really feel like a Velo at just under 2.0 is the ideal tool for the job.

The sooner we drop the myth that you 'need' to load them at 2.0+, the better. Even if every jumper still wants to needlessly jump an X-brace even if they don't swoop, I'd rather see them do it at 1.6 than at 2.0+ any day.

The idea that the generally accepted 'optimum' competition WL for X-braced canopies are the only WL to jump them at is rediculous.

My point was that its really just a waste of money, since they're generally more expensive then their non-x-braced cousins. That and a lot of the people I've seen jumping a "lightly" loaded x-braced canopies were doing it for the "big dick" factor. They really had no business being under anything that high of performance, at any wingloading.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...While i agree that there is very little point in driving a Ferrari to get groceries, i mean jumping a [email protected], there is nothing wrong with it....

It's a stepping stone... the reason I switched to the velocity is because I want to add another dimension to my skills... if I wanted a canopy that just put me safely on the ground I'd never chosen the velocity

I bet you that if you tried any other canopy smaller than your current one you'd have the same reaction.

I've jumped smaller canopies before, but mostly stilettos and jalapenos... and my impression then was that I really had to push the limits to get a good landing... but maybe that's just the way I pilot it.

You WILL have a blast. Just dont go over your head with downsizing, it can be addictive, everyone here knows people who downsized too fast and now have something broken to show for it and tell stories of what not to do. Be the guy with many years in the sport, thousands of skydives and no injuries, that's much cooler.

I have two kids and I think testosterone drops when you start getting older...

And I agree... so far it's 16 years and no broken parts... I plan on keeping that way.

I love the velo fastest thing i have flown.

I fly the Xaos 27 for a few reasons along with openings that I am used to. To me it is not fast as the VX & Velocity. The Velo feels the fastest to me. I have flown the Velo at 2.4 and that was very fast in compared to a Xaos 27 - 84 at the same loading.

i love the Xaos 27 since it is a few steps down from the velo but I came from Crossfire's. I have my xaos opening the way I love and i also like a loading of 2.0 to 2.2. The risers both front & rear feel perfect to me.
So I fly the xaos 27 for comfort & feel even if it is not as fast as the Velo or Vx. The only thing Xbraced i have not flown is the JVX.

Sure in the right hands right? I know Jeffro is the bomb on the Xaos & others.

i would love to see a few top pro pilots take the 4 Crossbraced Canopies ( Velo, VX, JVX, & Xaos27)
for 10 Swoops consecutive each with the same wing loading.

Average all the data out. It would be cool to see Velo guys pushing other canopies & visa versa.

Have like in MotoCross we called a shoot out. Where the top riders road all the factory bikes a few laps on the track.

I let my Velo friend fly my Xaos27 - He wasn't that into it. I know why.

Velo is fast at 1.8 - 2.4 because that is all it know how to be.

Chris

.... Velo guys pushing other canopies

it's not possible to just switch canopies and start "pushing". "To push it", in my mind, means that you need to know your canopy really well. That takes quite a few jumps, even if you have thousands of HP landings on other x-braced wings. In fact, i'd say ESPECIALLY if you have thousands of HP landings on other x-braced wings. You could probably get away with Xaos/VX transition, but VX, Velo, JVX you need to put in the time to figure out the wing and step away from what you're used to. So if you put Fro or Batsch under a Velo, Jay under a Xaos or VX they will most definitely put up some impressive swoops... but i dont think they will "push" their new canopies on their first jumps. The only human i know that can easily swoop ANY wing and push it to the limit right away is of course GW. IF he is a human, that is.

Yeah, 2.0 + a bit may be the recommended optimum wingloading for performance, but it doesn't compromise safety or fun. Echoing what's been said, one should only change type or size when moving up the performance ladder. Once this change of type (crossbraced) is dialed in, then it's time to start moving down sizes until hitting the sweet spot, if that's even a goal here.

I think it is pretty arrogant to say that a velo under 2.0 is useless. It might not be the best tool to win a competition but without doubt a velo at 1.8 is a LOT of fun and is the perfect tool to train in order to step up to a velo at 2.0 if that is what you want. Or would you rather recommend someone to train on a Katana at 2.2 in order to fly a velo at 2.0? It seems quite stupid to me to do this on purpose