azureriders

Line twist + break fire = ???procedures???

I know that with most of the canopies discussed in “Swooping and Canopy Control” a break fire combined with line twist would be an instant chop. For the sake of discussion, lets say a spectre 190 loaded at 1.35 : 1, three or four line twist, a break fire, pilot on his back in a decent spiral, and enough altitude to work. Questions: 1) if the other break was released, would the line twists allow the steering line to slide up to the full flight position (I don’t know, but personally I doubt it) and 2) if yes to 1, would the canopy level out and fly straight while you dealt with the line twists. (While my answer would change with canopies and loading, in this case I think very possibly yes)

The actual scenario was as described above except for altitude to work with. Therefore my answer was to chop now, discuss later. B|

I had one this past Saturday on my Sabre2 170, loaded at about 1.2:1. It wasn't 3 or 4 line twists though. I was only about 1 or 1/2 a twist, depending on how you count it and it was the right break that came unstowed. I was able to clear the line twist by simply spreading the risers. Then unstowed the left break. Then got all the end-cells inflated... &*^&$ Sabre2... then stowed the slider. Uneventful canopy flight and landing from there.

I was always taught and IMO, if one has line twists AND a break fire, one should clear the line twists first. If one unstows the "other" break first, the slack may be trapped in the twists and now you've got another toggle loose with some break line flying around that could cause you more porblems... i.e. wrap around the twists, is one scenario. Like any other sort of "mal" that might be fixable... 1) If you make it to your decission height without a landable canopy, you know what you should do, if you don't, its your mal / your skydive... 2) Remember that trying to do rigging while under canopy = BAD.

i've had three , not saying what i did was the right procedure but it worked

1# Katana 120 @ 1.8/1 . Toggle snagged on camera . spun into 3 twists , then flew straight down in a slow spiral . Kicked out of twists then stopped turn with rear riser . released riser and canopy started to turn again ? popped brakes , problem solved

2# Katana 120 @ 1.9/1 . Toggle just popped ? Unstowed toggles , then kicking out of twists asap. sorted much sooner before spin got fast . didnt lose much altitude

3# Velo 103 @ 2.2 Toggle just popped ? Canopy went nuts !!!
Got thrown around faster than I ever thought possible . Did 4 * 360s above my head , then flew down by me :S When I caught up with it ( still twisting up) I unstowed the toggles and things settled down a little and left it possible to level the risers and untwist

With microline the line should run up through the twists , If it doesnt , well then you could be in more trouble . However in extreme cases it will not be possible to fix the problem without unstowing brakes .

1.9 loaded xoas 27 108 sq

happened twice to me, i had altitude and kicked out of twist before releasing other break very quickly. If i was any lower i would have chopped. If anything what i learned was be super aware of ALT. because it gets eaten very very quickly during spins under any kind of loading.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~