hparrish

RDS Options for the JVX

Okay so I've read the past posts regarding RDS Systems for the JVX, but don't really see anything newer than last year.

So I'm sure there is much more knowledge in the past 12 months.

In reading the past posts it looks like Para-Concepts and Joe / Mel's RDS are the best. Is this still the case? What are folks responses now?

It looks like the Single Point Release on Joe / Mel's is allot easier to use. Are they still the only Single Point Release Slider option?

I'm concerned about not only quality of the system but also customer service. Current thoughts and experiences on that front are also important to me. I've read the good and the bad history about this as well, any current updates? I don't want to hear about the Past crap in those posts, an update would be better.

I'm primarily looking for a removable slider, but figure getting the whole RDS is a plus if I want to use it. Not really sure if only using the removable slider and not the rest of the RDS is an option, but think I so. Thoughts?

I have Joe's system and really like it. I did have him change the yellow cable thru the slider, to having the center with (I think) dacron line. The opening smoothed out even more and easy to grab. Joe is also great about servicing his product.

I have used it on a Rage 155 as well as my Velo 120. I have heard its just as good on the JVX. Hope this helps.

You should definitely get an RDS slider and use just by itself. Why would you buy "the ultimate swoop machine" if you're flying with a regular slider? B|:P

Now, as far as systems, in the past, I really liked Joe/MEL style RDS on my VXs. I've had two of those, one with the yellow cable (crappy) and the same one with lines instead of cables (MUCH better). Single point of release was the best feature for me. I've heard people say that (4) single points of ring attachment create some instability in the slider/rings configuration when attached, but it didnt seem to me that way. Worked well on VX. Never had one for JVX, where, as you know, slider position is crucial for good openings due to slider stops being offset.

The Paraconcepts RDS for JVX is excellent. I have two of them. One is an older style with real slider rings in a teflon base (which i actually may have for sale - PM me if interested) and the other is a newer style with thin machined rings. Slider itself is the same - two points of release, 8 points of attachment (2 per ring). It adds a few seconds to removal/reattachment times, but hardly noticeable once you put a few dozen jumps on it.

At this point you can have a slightly better, IMO, system (but a bit pricey) AND the great service from Kirk at ParaConcepts, who delivers on time. Or you can have a good solid and slightly cheaper RDS from MEL, but you'd be gambling with his service and delivery times, as everyone knows by now, just read the gear and rigging forums. Joe can make the same solid system for you and he has also been pretty good for me as far as support and service. The slider release lines he had just made for me broke on the second jump. I am sure it was just an odd rare defect. He fixed it quickly.

There are other folks that make similar RDS set ups. A good rigger can make one too. The rings are the most important part, not everyone has the same ones.

Hope that helps.

Mike,

Thanks for the Photos........It really clears things up seeing them side by side like that.

Based on the photos it looks like the Para-Concepts Sliders are definately more like actual JVX sliders. Not sure I like the Rings inset into the Flat pieces. That looks like it could wear down the linesets rather quickley, as the pack job first opens.

It looks like Joe / Mel's slider design has a more simplistic disconnect system and the rings look better. Dose it disconnect more smoothly than the Para-Concepts slider?

Couple more questions:

1.) Does the D-Bag and Pilot chute attachement to the slider, slow the slider down noticeably during deployment? Traveling down the linesets?

2.) With the RDS attached to the slider, is the snatch force enough to activate the kill line for collapsable pilot chutes?

3.) Can you still physcho pack, sleeping bag roll your packjob with the RDS?

4.) Looks like you have to make sure the slider grommets need to stay fully seated during the pack job?

5.) Looks like you just bunch up the RDS Line and stuff it in the front of the D-Bag?

6.) Do you jump the Full RDS during normal skydives? How do the openings go at full terminal openings?

7.) Not entirely sure where the slider disconnect handle / handles are on the Para-Concepts Slider, are they on the sides? It's not clear from your pictures.

1.) Does the D-Bag and Pilot chute attachement to the slider, slow the slider down noticeably during deployment? Traveling down the linesets?

More likely it will speed it up due to slider distortion. That is why I don't like going to terminal with the full rds. Openings CAN (not always) be weird.

2.) With the RDS attached to the slider, is the snatch force enough to activate the kill line for collapsable pilot chutes?

Yes

3.) Can you still physcho pack, sleeping bag roll your packjob with the RDS?

Yes

4.) Looks like you have to make sure the slider grommets need to stay fully seated during the pack job?

Yes, you should be doing this anyway even without an RDS. It's easier to move the slider down the lines (bad thing) when working with the excess line though.

5.) Looks like you just bunch up the RDS Line and stuff it in the front of the D-Bag?

Some people do. I stow mine on a rubber band. Being careless with this line can cause line burn or tears on your canopy.

6.) Do you jump the Full RDS during normal skydives? How do the openings go at full terminal openings?

See my thoughts on this in another thread.

7.) Not entirely sure where the slider disconnect handle / handles are on the Para-Concepts Slider, are they on the sides? It's not clear from your pictures.

On the front and back of the slider. You reach through from BEHIND the risers and put your hand in both loops - then pull.

Blues
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Thanks Ian,

So which rubber band stow do you use for the RDS Line? One of the front ones with the D-Bag Grommets? Can you post a picture when you get a chance.

I'd think you would want to keep the RDS Line clear and separated from your canopy line stows.

Got any pictures or the Para-Concepts Disconnect handles?

I have the rubber band as close to the d-bag as I can get it (Ian Bobo's tip). It's just a large regular packing rubber band (like on the front of the d-bag) that I double stow.

I dont have any pictures handy, but I think Shadowswoop posted some a while back.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Actually, I think that the real slider rings in the teflon base are smoother on the lines... But they do add some bulk.

Also i think the openings with full RDS vs just the slider are smoother, at least on my JVX, for the reasons you suggested. Terminal or not.

Everything else Ian said is on the money.

I purchased a para concepts slider system for my JVX 84,

i put around 200 jumps on it, all to terminal with only one badish opening but I put that down to the packjob.

I swapped the slider for a canopy (not a bad swap eh) while my JVX is away and the new owner has it on a 89 JVX, he loves it. All his jumps to terminal and with camera gear.all have been great openings.

I have seen different RDS systems with different rings etc. but i think the para concepts one has the best workmanship I have seen to date .

I will be purchasing another RDS in the not so distant future when my new JVX arrives, it will most likely be a paraconcepts slider.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Well a Year and a Half later, after you all provided all these great replys and posted all these great pictures and I never, got one.

I'm ready to make the transition now though. Any updated thoughts or are Joe Bennet, Mel and Paraconcepts still the best options.

Any new designs anyone is aware of?

i got my para concepts slider and have done at least a hundred jumps on it now, it is very nice and I have had great openings. I use it for freefall alos without concern.

Mine is 60cm x 90 cm for my JVX 79 it is large and lovely.

highly recommended!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Just re-read my replies from almost two years ago... nothing really changed in my mind, except after all this time and several linesets later, i now strongly believe that those thin rings (Paraconcepts 2nd and 3rd gen) DO wear out lines quicker than the 1st Gen PC rings (thick ones are much smoother on the lines). I think the 3rd gen rings are also softer and get dinged up easier. i had one set replaced. That maybe even caused by lines, the pattern of dings would suggest that. Be awareof shorter life span on lines with these things. I actually started using stock JVX slider this year, after 5 or 6 linesets gave up on me - all with less than 350-400 jumps

I wonder what NZ Aerosports are talking about on their site. Must be old information?

"Unlike the original JVX that used a special designed slider our latest version uses a standard slider size of 29 X 24 inches with a new upper brake line configuration"

don't mean to hijack this thread. here is the answer on the slider....

"No we still have the side flaps. we also offer the JVX with a low profile stabilizer. If someone takes that option than they get the normal slider. With no flaps.

Cheers Attila"

the low profile stabaliser is quite popular in Australia, it is supposed to help the openings but I have found my openings to be fine without stabalisers, in fact better than fine they hve bee terrific.

I would call it a bandwagon.