bbl

Practicing swooping during regualr full altitude loads

I was having a discussion with one of the guys at my dropzone about practicing 180's during full altitude loads. I told him that practicing 90's would be safer unless doing hop'n'pops.
How do the canopy pilots at your dropzones feel about teaching 180's?

ben lowe

looks like there are two questions in one: how on various DZs deal with high-performance landings on regular loads in all the traffic conditions and how do they feel about 180 turns:)

First question on our DZ was answered during our Safety Day in the beginning of the season: everyone who wants to practice high-performance landings with higher than 90 degrees of rotation will have to land on the separate landing area not interfering with the rest of the traffic. Local S&TA and DZO are very commited to enforce this rule.

As for 180 truns, I see them being performed mostly by old-school pilots. The majority of swoopers on our DZ prefer either left-hand or right hand approach with the susequent execution of 90/270/450/630 turn.

We do not have the luxury of huge landing area.

I try to work on swooping on hop and pops, if I am going to swoop on a high altitude jump I will only do so if I can hang in deep brakes and let the other traffic clear, or I will do so on the edge of the landing area so I am away from the other jumpers.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The majority of swoopers on our DZ prefer either left-hand or right hand approach with the susequent execution of 90/270/450/630 turn.

Are you saying they skip 180´s out of their learning progression ? :S Thats real nice !!

Also, what about 360´s are they "old school" also ? :D

I don't know about the other poster, but turns with a variant of the 90 allow for a proper landing pattern. That's important for accuracy when swooping.

For me, I've found the following to be true. Others fly variants of the 180, but its not as common as variants of the 90.

Anything else has you flying towards or away from the swoop course, which doesn't allow for someone to adjust properly if they're a little long or short on the course. Its also easier to adjust for headwinds or downwinds when 90 to the course.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The majority of swoopers on our DZ prefer either left-hand or right hand approach with the susequent execution of 90/270/450/630 turn.

Are you saying they skip 180´s out of their learning progression ? :S Thats real nice !!

Also, what about 360´s are they "old school" also ? :D

For the most part I skipped 180s. Did a WHOLE lot of 90s, a very small number of 180 degree turns and then started doing 270s. I was just not feeling that 180s were reasonably safe. I didn't like the way the blindspots worked out with them.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I don't know about the other poster, but turns with a variant of the 90 allow for a proper landing pattern. That's important for accuracy when swooping.

For me, I've found the following to be true. Others fly variants of the 180, but its not as common as variants of the 90.

Anything else has you flying towards or away from the swoop course, which doesn't allow for someone to adjust properly if they're a little long or short on the course. Its also easier to adjust for headwinds or downwinds when 90 to the course.

I also feel that flying your setup 90 to the course is maby a little easier. Though I guess some might fell different if they are accustomed to fly 0 to the course, wich you forgot to mention.. Most difficult is ofcourse to fly 180 to the course when you are having to deal with the downwind all the time, that is if the course is not on crosswind (and you are going to land to the wind). On crosswind it could be easier to actually fly 0 or 180 to the course. Or what do you think ?

When I was doing 180´s with the wind within the same direction as the course, I mostly drove the setup someworth similar to when doing 270´s but instead I flat turned first 90 to start flying 180 to the course and initiated 180 from there. It is ofcourse evident that you are to start the turn quite quickly after the flat turn and therefore you might not be as observant on the surrounding traffic since as you are busy on starting the 180.

However I dont think I should have skipped 180´s on my progression only because flying setup 90 to the course is easier. I think going to 270´s from 90´s is such a step It requires you learn the 180 before going to 270´s

Anyways, Im still learning these things and I gladly learn from you if you feel different..

I agree with what everyone is saying so far. I agree that the progression through the turns from 90's, 180's, 270's and up is great to practice while doing hop'n'pops. But learning to swoop gates is a different story. There is endless discussion of progression through turns during different wind conditions. I just wanted to see what the Canopy Coach's were teaching about the 180's. Thanks again,

ben lowe

Their is a huge difference between 90 to 270 I agree, but for the most part I don't like the 180.
Reason: When starting out most will induce a 90 turn and while getting better they will start to snap that turn to get deeper in and create a longer recovery arc by getting parrallel with the canopy, If you do this with a 180 and start snapping that turn you go from looking forward to looking at the ground immediately. And thats what you have to deal with. yes I bounced and seperated my ribs by doing so, so that might make me a bit bias. Other wise on a 270 you have the opportunity to see your ground approach and determine whether to go deeper in the front risers or let it plain out for a sec.
Just soley my oppinion which doesn't mean anything.Just do everything higher noticing your altitude loss while doing each turn sequence and when you get consistent (only then) start bringing it down.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!