AggieDave

PST Schedule?

Has anyone heard anything? Slaton's site hasn't seen any real new info in 6 months. Is the PST dead, is the info slow in coming out this year or have I simply just missed something?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i've only heard about 1 PST event which rumor has it to be directly before US Nationals.

if you want some competition experience, that is nearly PRO level, i would go to the last few FLCPA meets.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I would love to make it to Florida, but I've got one trip I can do this year, so I was going to go to Colorado and do the PST and nats (and try not to embarress myself). It comes down to getting the time off from work. I guessed at the PST dates in relation to nats but need to know for sure before it gets too late to change my vacation.

Nats is my priority this year

Likewise (different Nats of course). Assuming I can get current again (dang it's snowing today in Cowtown) I want to attend the Canadian Nationals which if I am not mistake is being held at Skydive Burnaby in Ontario the first weekend of August? (can someone verify this). Of course finishing ahead of the Florida based Canadians will be a feat in itself. But it would still be fun to be there.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

you know whats funny...i was reading all the threads from teh swoop forum from the back this mornig cuz i was bored at work...

and aggiedave was contemplating whether he should get a hornet 190 or a sabre220...and now look at him...asking about the dates for the PST...

same with you canuck...you said you were not trying to get on the fast track for swooping..

im gonna go thru the whole forum from the back all next week and see what else i can find...its nice that you can actually see someones progression from front to back..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

Maybe this is because AggieDave, myself and others had a goal and we decided to dedicate jumps towards canopy control to obtain these goals? You know the vast majority of my last 900 jumps are jumps dedicated towards canopy control (hop n' pops and high pulls). With a lot of hardwork, people can achieve their goals.

In the summer of 2004 I attended my first PST event (as a spectator) and thought to myself "hey I wonder if I could make it to the PST before I get too old at this". I immediately scheduled some canopy control coaching and I was lucky that I had the time and the money to train full time as a competive swooper in the summer of 2005. In the summer of 2006 I competed at two different PST events and while I finished near the bottom of the standings, I feel that I did not embarass myself (too much). There is no way in hell my skills can be compared to those who are at the top of the PST, but I did manage to close the gap between their skills and mine.

There is nothing wrong with people chasing their goals, just as long as they chase them responsibly. I have no problem with an up and coming canopy pilot wanting to become a swooper, they just need to dedicate jumps towards the discipline and approach it in a responsible manner (and know that unless they are consistently winning PST events, there is always someone out there who is better than they are).

I am not current right now. But if I can look back to the summer of 2007 when I also came back from a long layoff, I could still safely swoop (knock on wood we know if Tonto can crash anyone of us can crash). But I have a lot of hard work ahead of me if I want to get back to where I was at the end of the summer of 2006 and finishing ahead of the Florida based Canadians in 2008 for me is more a dream than it is a reality. But it is still a goal I can shoot for, as long as I shoot for it responsibly.

PS: my desire to dedicate jumps towards canopy control can also be traced back to a freefly jump I made one day where I came close to taking out someone else on a head down jump and at that time I decided to dial back my freeflying goals and become a better canopy pilot first and then I got bit by the swooping bug.

hey dude i didnt mean any disrespect at all by that i was just saying it was interesting that i could go back and read thru your progression like a diary on the forums...

i hope you didnt take it the wrong way

i hope one day years from now i can look back at all of my previous posts and trace it back to the present
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I knew what you meant. 6 years ago I told some people that I wanted to be a competitive swooper and jumping an appropriate canopy for that goal. Quite a few laughed and basically said something to the effect of "sure kid, don't die."

I was pushing too hard back then, but after a couple of close calls I backed off and got some quality coaching from some quality coaches. Then I approached swooping and canopy control with a real plan for progression.

I'm not the best in the world, the US or even Texas, but I feel like I've reached that goal that I set for myself years ago and now its up to me to continue the training for the thing I love (canopy control).

So now days I love it when low time jumpers come to me and ask about swooping. The first thing that I ask is what their goals are. More then a few have said "I want to compete." Then the conversation is steered towards landing patterns, the right canopy to start with, etc

This is a great time to start swooping. For the first time that I can remember the voodoo black magic has been taken out of swooping. Its all about a series of fundamentals that all start with the landing pattern. The rest fall into place and the progression is logical.

Look around at the DZ next time you're out there. That goofy kid that's doing his first tandem, he might become a top swooper and set world records.:)

No harm done agent_lead ... there are a number of people in the skydiving world who have achieved great success with their jumping careers and I wish you luck pursuing your goals.

Now can anyone supply me with some "super duper swooping pills" so that I can beat those stinking Florida based Canadians in August? haha ... I better just go there (assuming I am even there) with the goal of "still standing on my own two feet at the end of the weekend" and anything beyond that is just a bonus.