FFlyer

Moving from 180's to 270's

Hey,

So I finally think im ready to start doing 270s. Ive done the whole progression from double fronts, to 90's to 180's, and now finally want to move onto 270's.

I have been practicing them up high just for the purpose of seeing how much altitude I loose. It seems like I will be fine by adding another 100 feet onto my turning altitude that I use for a 180. Bear in mind that I am very light and my wing loading is relatively low,...so my canopy does seem to come out of a dive slightly quicker than others.

Basically im just looking for any tips on making this move to 270's. Things I should think about when setting up? What visuals should I be looking for? Should I be smooth throughout the whole 270 or slow at first then fast through the last 90?

Most people tell me that 270's are actually 'easier' than 180's,...but it's still a hell of a big turn for me,...so any tips will be welcome :)
Thanks, cheers B|

Brendon,
Beasley is out there at JSC. He would be more than willing to help you out. You are also welcome to come to PSC for some coaching. Rob Kruger, Rob Verner and myself are out there and would gladly spend some time with you. I'll be at PSC this weekend.
C ya.
“It takes ten years to get ten years’ experience” Eric "tonto" Stephenson D515 PASA

Most people tell me that 270's are actually 'easier' than 180's,...but it's still a hell of a big turn for me,...so any tips will be welcome

When it comes to trying to make the entry gates, personally I feel 270s are a hell of a lot easier than 180s. But yes it is a bigger turn and it requires more concentration.

1) Don't forget to pay attention to your turn rate. Fast turns burn less altitude than slow carving turns.

2) When learning to do your 270s, please do them in controlled environments on hop n' pops and/or high pulls. Regular fun jump/work jump loads is no time to be learning 270s.

3) Have an out and do your best to recognize when you may be in the corner. The sooner you recognize the corner, the better your chances.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Start out doing them up high. Maybe several full altitue hop & pops and then Several 5000' openings after a jump. Concentrate on how much altitude you are losing in a 270. Also count how much time it takes and start getting some memory on this.....Kind of like when you know when to pull after some time in skydiving.

When you start doing them for your landings after much practice up high (several to a couple dozen), Add an extra 100 feet to what you think your altitude should be. Be prepared to bail out at 60, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 222, whatever......just be prepared to bail. If your worried about going cross wind or down wind, then you probably shouldnt start 270's yet. Keep your head on a swivel from set up to the end of your swoop. Don't overreact just avoid and react problems.

For setup I always go into half breaks,, then to double fronts, add harnes turn, and slowly let up on my outside front riser, then both. Try to do slow carving 270's, if they are quick and snappy you are probably too low. Give yourself 750 to 1000 feet.

Its a personal preference if you go to rears or toggles, but if your not doing rears now, I wouldn't start until well after you have your altitude and timing worked out maybe a couple hundred 270's. Don't introduce both new maneuvers at the same time.

If you have to use toggles to keep from hitting the ground your in the corner. A perfect swoop has your feet 10 - 15 ' above the ground as you begin to plane out. (Thats Gate height). With a slow gradual dip to ground level as you are planing out. If your pullin your legs up and dragging your ass, your'e in the corner.

Dont do it in traffice and preferably in a separate landing area.

I'm sure I'm missing allot. Others will fill in the blanks I'm missing.

As far as initiating the 270, I found coming off a Stiletto 107 to a XF2 99 (having done 270's on a Stiletto for a while) that slowing down the turn to bleed off the extra say 250 feet that I raised the initiating altitude to build up speed was the biggest challenge. Doing a LOT or harness work up high was the key . I found that if I started my turns in half or full brakes, I would turn too fast.... I find starting the turn in 1/4 brakes or even full flight, and initiating with harness and then going to risers works pretty well in slowing down my turn... although there is always room for improvement. I definitely believe that good harness work adds a lot to the equation. This definitely was a big hurdle for me in coming off 180's to 270's and raising the altitude while changing to a canopy that required a lot more altitude. I was told also to look for say a 5-6 second turn.. something that I also kept in mind while learning the new turn under a new canopy. Less than that and you get less than what you could in terms of speed. Something to keep in mind while you're dialing in your initiating altitude, along with so many other comments here which have been very cogent, but man, when you hit it right, it is so satisfying :) I am still working on getting on the rear risers after a LOT of 270's so take that aspect slow... it does not forgive.. Good luck to you and keep safe and hale....keep the faith and jump a lot!

You're way off from what I do.

See, I close my eyes and pull and hold a front riser until it gets too scary and I let up and open my eyes. Sometimes its a 90, sometimes its a 1730.:D

Actually, you're right on the mark, but I would have added to use a digital altimeter to help with accuracy in altitudes when practicing and a reminder to bump up your pattern altitudes so you you can accurately get to your initiation point at the right altitude window.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Rightie-o!! Funny thing is, re tools, is I was the only one with an analog Alti-2 on my wrist...hmmmm. talk about being in the dark ages! Felt like the "uncool" kid in High School [:/] Upgrading as we speak as the water did it in....Hopefully training with LoudDan at Zhills next weekend. Maybe I can be a bit more "current" in Palatka than Lake Wales... oh, and what to wear, what to wear...:D

Cool, thanks for all the tips. I cant wait to get up there this weekend!

And re using tools, I totally agree,...I have an optima in my helmet and use a neptune as a visual. I only use them to know when to start my turn, from then on I rely on my own judgement for the rest.

training in zhills

whats your turn height these days for that 270?

jay was working on getting me to start by using double fronts for the first bit and then ease into turn then bang out the end...similar to what we talked about last summer...make sure to add some altitude to your turn before that...hmmm depending on what I hear about the new job today I might just try to get down to zhills around the same time for some training as well

also get back on your rears woman I know its scary after your ride your face across the pond but get back on the damn horse it will be better in the long run

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

also get back on your rears woman I know its scary after your ride your face across the pond but get back on the damn horse it will be better in the long run

I disagree. I had the pleasure of watching Pia fly at the LW CPC meet. At this time Pia needs to get used to being in competition without adding new dangers to the picture and focus on gaining confidence. The rears will come when she's ready......

:)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Update: So I did my first 7 270's last weekend. Not nearly as good/accurate as the 180's that im so use to, but that's to be expected at first.

What I was amazed by was how different the picture is and how I struggled to determine how high I was while doing the turn. Maybe its because my canopy was in the dive for longer than with the 180's. It just seemed like as soon as I let the canopy come out of the dive I realised I was too high everytime,...but I couldn't see that while I was still in the dive. But all normal im sure when just starting. Ill keep at it B|

Thanks again for the tips. Cheers.
B

well to quote a few people on this topic that I have learned from...

when you are working on something new you should always plan on being a bit high for a while cause it gives you some extra breathing room while you are learning the mechanics of your new maneuver.

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.