freeflydemon

first x-braced

I'm flying a crossfire 139 (@1.87) and I'm getting between 200 to 260 ft with a 270º
I want to go to a X-braced canopy, but I'm confused with my options, what do you recommend me...

1) Xaos 27 118 @2.20
2) Xaos 21 124 @2.09
3) JVX 117 @2.22

I really like the Xaos 21, I saw some openings videos and it opens great, but It's a 7 cell and I like 9 cell canopies. I really want a JVX, but I think the JVX is a step above the xaos21 and 27, so xaos is a good "transition" canopy. About Xaos 27 I heard it' s a great canopy but it's openings are not so good always....
Please coments and recomendations about it.....

Friend of mine bought the xaos 27 because he had neck problems and needed a solid opener. I don't fly x braced so can't say much more, but he is an excellent canopy pilot and he loves his. Precision canopies tend to be a bit cheaper in price too.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

My 1st X-braced was a Velo loaded at 1.9WL. I didn't like it that much, it just felt too big, so I only kept it 100 jumps or so.

I then got a brand new Xaos 21 (2.2 WL), the price was great! (Got a deal - ask around) and I can't say enough about how great that canopy is. Opening are the best I have ever had of any canopy period. I will never sell this canopy, it is for me the perfect fun jumping parachute. And swoops are great, maybe just a bit weak in the bottom end.

I now have a JVX Hybrid (2.4WL) with Comp trim along with my Xaos, and I can tell you for sure, JVX is for EXPERIENCED X-BRACED PILOT ONLY !!!
This is an extremly ground hungery canopy. To give you an example, I did a hop and pop from 7000FT and the rest of the group did a Sit jump and opened at 3500FT. We were all landing at about the same time, and I wasn't the last one down!!

I have also had the opertunity of jumping a Xaos-27 and they are sweet as well. I would say the openings are almost as soft, but maybe a bit more twitchy. Let me say this, I will (and have) jumped my Xaos-21 at 2.2WL when flying a Wing Suit, but I would NOT consider this with any other X-braced wing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I would recommend getting a FX/Velo/Xaos21 first to keep the learning curve mellow. 7 cell xbraced canopies are not like a square 7 cell spectre or anything they do actually perform better than your xfire ;)

Don't pay too much for a 2nd hand one because after about 100 or 200 jumps on that you' will really know what you want to be on and will be all the more ready for it.

My progress from my Xfire 109 was to an FX89 and then a JVX84Hybrid, I couldn't be happier. I purchased my FX second hand for $400 with about 1000 jumps on it and then purchased my new JVX Hybrid 100 jumps later.

I still got $400 back for my FX too.:ph34r:

Good luck in your quest.

Rhyso

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I would recommend getting a FX/Velo/Xaos21 first to keep the learning curve mellow. 7 cell xbraced canopies are not like a square 7 cell spectre or anything they do actually perform better than your xfire

Worth repeating. Saying you "like nine cells better" has nothing to do with crossbraced canopies. Any "seven cell" crossbrace is going to fly much differently than your Crossfire. 27-cell crossbraces, on the other hand, do not fly that differently than 21 cell crossbraces. Their openings are quite different, but the glide and landings are not too terribly different. If there were such a difference, there would not be so many people still kicking ass under "seven cell" Velocities.

Also, "mello" is a relative term. My second crossbraced canopy was an Icarus VX-74. A "nine cell" by your definition. I can tell you FOR SURE that the Velocity 75 that I had a number of years later was a MUCH faster canopy. I didn't like it at all and ended up upsizing two times in the Velo line until I found the size I liked best.

Chuck

By "feel", absolutely. That's the pisser. One could only wish that there weren't such a wide disparity in the way companies measure their products. Even then, planform and trim have a lot to do with "feel."

By comparrison, I will just say that (back in the day) my old Alpha (Atair Impulse/pre-Cobalt) 84 felt about the same size as my VX-74. I competed professionally for three seasons under a Cobalt 75. When I switched back over to PD, I had them send me a Velo 75 and a 79. I felt sure that the 75 would be my "regular" main and that the 79 would be my "distance" and "wingsuit" main. I was totally wrong. I found no use for the 75, even though that was the size canopy that I was accustomed to in a "nine cell" and instead used my 79 for everything (except wingsuiting, which I started using a small Sabre2 for). Eventually, I ended up trading the 79 for an 84. the 84 feels about as big as my old Cobalt 75 (but obviously goes much, much farther on landing).

The point? I don't know, except that to say you really ought to try out all those three choices listed in the original post before committing to any of them. It's pretty amazing how differently supposedly-same-sized mains fly. Going off what you THINK you will like isn't smart at all. Particularly when you consider how much a x-braced main runs these days. Buy smart: demo, demo, demo.

Chuck

I would have to agree. My JVX opens better than my FX.... big time!

With and without the (para concepts) RDS slider!

It doesn't open as nice as my xfire 109 but definitely better than anything else I have jumped. From Maverick 200's and Cruise lights to Sabres, Spinlettos, diablos, Blue tracks and Velos. It is the best opener next to the xfire. in my opinion that is.

We'll see more of these with commercial camera guys under them as more people jump them and realise how good they are.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

0) Velo111 @ 2.33
Velo should be your first choice! :ph34r:

As Chuck said - demo demo demo

I love my Velo 103, loaded at 2.17. I probably have around 100 jumps on Velo 103s now and I hear a lot of complaints about openings, but the only time I have any real problems is when I get to lazy with my packing. I also have Joe's RDS on it. I wear a video camera almost every jump, but no stills, and no neck issues.
My one regret: I didnt demo more options, but I do know that I'll be under this wing for many, many more jumps. Ive got so much to lear.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Likewise, Ian. I have never had a single opening under any of my three Velos that I would consider "scary." They have served me well in that regard. I have had the random smacker once every great while, but I generally have fine openings. That's from terminal or otherwise. I do alot of RW organizing and I used to do a ton of AFF with them and never had issues. The only thing I stopped using them for was wingsuiting.

Chuck

I want a conopy that I can do back to back, pack by packers and that I can do a lot of fast pack jobs....that's why I don't like the Velo.

I pack my velo in 5 minutes if I want to (RDS excluded). No opening issues yet.

Blues.

Well, Im not as cool as you Ian :P, but I can make a 15 min call, including RDS (bag attached), and have time to get a drink of water and dirt dive before the plane shows up. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Well, Im not as cool as you Ian :P, but I can make a 15 min call, including RDS (bag attached), and have time to get a drink of water and dirt dive before the plane shows up. :)

Now that you've taken on the Canopy-Nazi role from myself down at SDA you'll realize why neither of us will ever 'be cool' ;)

Funny how unpopular trying to keep your friends alive can be :D:D
Performance Designs Factory Team

I would have to agree. My JVX opens better than my FX.... big time!

We'll see more of these with commercial camera guys under them as more people jump them and realise how good they are
yeah rhys,you know it.I only have 15 jumps on my hybrid but so far bloody goooood openings.Dives ok too.