MrBrant

Another RDS/removable slider question

Hey guys - I've got another RDS question.

Most of the designs I've seen have a white loop connecting the rings to the slider, then run through a gromet, and held in place with a yellow Lolon-F coated cutaway cable.

My question is, has anybody heard of this cable getting "sucked" through the gromet? (Like what can happen if you don't use the eyelet at the end of your cutaway housings on the 3-rings)

If not, why not? Are the forces on the cable less in this application, than the white-loop on the 3-ring system? Or perhaps it's because the cable guide channels are closer to the loop(s) on a slider than on a riser?

I was thinking of using the black nylon cable for mine instead (the ones used for student ripcords with spring-loaded PCs). Although I believe this coating is more brittle, and cracks easier, I do recall that it is much stiffer and may reduce teh chances of gromet sucking. (if the potential issue even exists).

Anybody come accross this issue?

Brant

The dacron loop holding the ring on is non load bearing so there realy is no preasure on the teflon cable. Having really hard cable will interfere with proper packing and allow the slider to move away from the slider stops resulting in a harder opening. (slider rebound:ph34r:)

spizzzarko

should my slider be tight from one end to another? when i stow it behind my back? if not should i get an extension on my chest strap??

i am 6ft 185 big shoulders and poportinate chest. when i open my chest strap all the way and stow the slider behind my head it is still a bit slacked.

someone made the comment that the crossfre 1 commin in lokked flatter on top then mine. thenit was said mybe i should get a chest strap extension.

is the crossfire 1 going to be flatter on top then my crossfire 2???

thanks

if you are loosening your chest strap all the way now, I don't see how your going to get much difference if you get a longer one. if you do get a difference it wont be that much.

the question you should ask yourself is if there is slack in the chest strap when it is all the way loose. if it is, then a longer chest strap will do nothing.

so my slider behind my head should be tight lateraly across????? so when i lossen my chest strap the caopy should expand to the point of the slider right???

no the chest strap isnt loose and the slider isnt tight across. i wondering if my chest strap is keeping my canopy from fully expanding or is it no big deal no performnce issue,noworry?

thanks again

I had thought of the packing of the stiffer cable, and knew it would be less desirable. I hadn't considered any "slider rebound" yet - thanks! I shall ponder. (that's an awesome term by the way :D)

Would the loops not be load bearing in the beginning phases of the canopy inflation? As the wing wants to expand, but the slider holds it "closed" until it slides down the lines?

Dave: yup, I hope to begin construction on it soon. It's a joint project between myself and my friendly neighborhood master rigger. (having somebody who know's something about textiles helps :D )

Mark: Glad to hear you hand't heard about it before either. (although thousands of jumps isn't a huge sample yet, 10's-100 thousands and we're talking B|)
I would rather use the more flexible cable for ease of packing (and, as Spizz mentioned I wouldn't want it to creep down my lines too early).
I hadn't eard of this before either, but it crossed my mind, and, I'd rather be paranoid now, instead of in unnecessary pain later!

Brant

i am also in the process of building my own slider, of course with the help and guidance of my rigger. It is coming along very well so far and im hoping to have it done this weekend so when i get my canopy back i can start trying it out. i will also post some pics when i have it done.

spizzzarko

should my slider be tight from one end to another? when i stow it behind my back? if not should i get an extension on my chest strap??

i am 6ft 185 big shoulders and poportinate chest. when i open my chest strap all the way and stow the slider behind my head it is still a bit slacked.

someone made the comment that the crossfre 1 commin in lokked flatter on top then mine. thenit was said mybe i should get a chest strap extension.

is the crossfire 1 going to be flatter on top then my crossfire 2???

thanks

Crossfires and crossfire 2's have relatively small sliders compared to similar canopies. If you still have slack in the slider when your chest strap is let out all the way, chances are that you have a pretty short chest strap. I had a short chest strap on my rig when I had a crossfire 2 and it was constantly tight.

Cheers,
Travis