BMFin

Optima or digital alti ?

Im considering either one and cant really make up my mind.

I was thinking optima or a digital (visual) altimiter of somekind. The purpose is to have more efficent instrument to follow altitude under canopy and to improve my setup to be more accurate.

Optima seems a good choice with the LED. I would also get another audible that way wich is good.

but on the other hand I kinda like the idea to be able to visually see the altitude from digital alti...

Anyone have bad experiences with the optima ?

What kind of setup do you use ?

Whatever manufacturer you chose to go with, I'd suggest a digital readout in units vs an analog display (alti-track).

For L&B you would probably be most interested in the Optima as an audible or the Viso as a visual.

Or

The neptune from Alti-2, which performs both functions.

Personally I like both functions (I have an audible in the helmet and a visual on the wrist). If I had to chose, it'd be the visual though.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

From personal experience, i would say use both. The Optima is great for helping with your set up points. The digital alti gives you confirmation, and is another usefull and accurate tool. If pilots of aircraft use instruments, why shouldnt we? The more tools the better in my opinion.

[edit to add]: those 2 things in the front of your skull, thats another tool...
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

both...of course my optima is sitting next to me all broken right now...stupid pond... Actually you know whats funny, I found the optima to be distracting. Perhaps I will give it another shot....

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I really liked the format the Optima uses for its alerts. Nice for pilots who prefer a long base leg in their patter because I'm not as tempted to take my eyes off of the course, or distract me from checking for traffic to peek at my visual. The increasing frequency of chirps until you hit the final one lets you know at a real time pace how much time you have left to make corrections before you arrive at your target altitude, slick...

Also, integrating an audible as a tool gives you some more backup for when your eyes say go time. Neptune just has more features that I need and their customer service is top notch. I use one of my Neptunes as a visual for working out my average loss of altitude in a turn and then plug those numbers into the audible later to get more dialed in. I've got different banks of alerts programmed for the pattern I'll run with the different canopies and or approaches I intend to do. I need both.

Ok... thanks for the tips.

I decided to get the VISO. It seems to have both mainfunctions.

-Visual digital altimiter
-Audible alti wich can be heard (under canopy) also when wrist mounted.

I think this is going to be my compromise for now..

What I dont get this way is :
-Visual audible (LED)
-Second audible for Freefall

To answer your question directly, I normally do a 270 approach, with C-Point at 1190, B at 890, and A (initiation)at 590 feet. I am under a Sensei 91 at 2.25 lbs/sf.

The VISO is a great visual altimeter, which is absolutely essential for data collection. In order to do experiments with recovery arc up high, you need a visual data collection device. In order to implement that data in the real world, you need a heads-up display. That's where the audible comes in. I love my Optima (audible with guide mode), and my Neptune(waterproof visual information). They both do what they are supposed to do.

Nevertheless, you can still hook in. The telemetry simply tells you where you are. It doesn't tell you whether or not the altitude you pre-selected is the right height. Given changes in density altitude and/or technique, you may lose much more altitide than you expected.

This is where physical rehearsal of your "bail-out" procedures comes in, as well as your powers of assessment during the dive. The dive angle as compared to your altitude at any given portion of the approach is what allows you to recognize a problem and make the necessary adjustments. If you realize that you are moving toward a point that is directly below you at 100 feet above the ground, you need to flatten your flight path to prevent getting in the corner. This is the only way to prevent impact.

I am a huge proponent of the new altitude data aquisotion methods. It allows us to calibrate our eyeballs, and creates a much higher degree of consistency in our flights, in the way that similar technology has improved general and commercial aviation. However, it is important to always recognize that these instruments can be improperly calibrated or erroreous for some other reason. We must always be prepared for the worst case scenario, so that we are not caught off guard. Ultimately, it is not the high-tech instruments that fly the aircraft, it is the pilot.

Pay attenion.
Assume nothing.
Do not panic.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

what would you compare a sensei to?

I would compare it to the Velocity that the PD Team flies, with some very significant differences.

It rocks.

There is a chance that the parachute will be available sometime this spring. I have tested the 81 and th 91 exhaustively, and the 101 will fly soon.

Brian
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

To answer your question directly, I normally do a 270 approach, with C-Point at 1190, B at 890, and A (initiation)at 590 feet. I am under a Sensei 91 at 2.25 lbs/sf.

The VISO is a great visual altimeter, which is absolutely essential for data collection. In order to
Pay attenion.
Assume nothing.
Do not panic.

-------------------------------
Couldn't agree more that's the swoop scoop.
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

I completely agree with Brian. Viso and Optima are a combination which can't be beaten. Using both for over a year now and never got disappointed. I'm not using the guided tones (which a lot of people really like) but the single-beeps.

I don't like the Neptune that much. Found it pretty unaccurate and not as good as the Viso which got a logbook too and also saves speeddata for the last jump.

I don't think the VISO is an audible alti for under canopy. I guess you're referring to the swoop beeps. It doesn't have that.

hmm.. Gravitygear website says :

"VISO is packed with features and is the perfect visual AND audible solution for skydivers. VISO will sound warning alarms while setting up in your optimum swoop corridor even when it’s mounted on the hand, ring cover, chest mount or leg mount."

Are they giving wrong info ?

EDIT: fixed the link..

Seems like they copied the text of the Optima and substituted "Optima" with "Viso". This is the correct information about the Viso: http://www.l-and-b.dk/viso.html

No.. I dont think so.. The text is not nearly identical to the info about optima.

They say :

"VISO is packed with features and is the perfect visual AND audible solution for skydivers. VISO will sound warning alarms while setting up in your optimum swoop corridor even when it’s mounted on the hand, ring cover, chest mount or leg mount."

This info is not correct either if you replace VISO with the word OPTIMA...

Im confused..

You can find similar info also here

Could it be L&B was planning to include the features described above, but then later before entering the market decided to make it more simple by outcluding the audible ? (maby not to eat markets from optima this way..)

Could it be L&B was planning to include the features described above, but then later before entering the market decided to make it more simple by outcluding the audible ? (maby not to eat markets from optima this way..)

You're right! At least that's my take on it: as I waiting for this product to be released I noticed that they dropped the audible feature before releasing the product, I then bought an optima instead because the audible was mostly what I was looking for (it's great to have your eyes off your visual alti most of the times).