Chaps

m-4... propack??

Hello all...

Well, I recently picked up a brand new mirage!! yay! I'm about to have a new pdr and a safire 189 in the container... which brings me to my question. I've only propacked a small number of times. Still pretty new to the sport... I've been informed that on the m-4 mirage the safire 189 is a 'tight' pack job. My question is wether or not I'm going to have to learn to psychopack to get this canopy in the bag? I know that psychopacking tends to be a little easier to get in the bag but I wanted to know if any other dz.commers had the same or similar set-up... and if you do do you recommend psychopacking to a newer packer? Any major drawbacks? I've been hearing about extra wear and tear from psychopacking?
thanks alot,
chaps

Before you worry about psycho packing, learn how to pro-pack well. It won't take you much time to start to really get it down and in the end you may not want to pshyco pack.

Also, you realize that a pro-pack and a pshyco pack are exactly the same until you put the canopy on the ground, right?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have the same setup 189 Safire 181 -M in a G-3 M4. I pro pack simply because i learned it first and every time I tried psyco pacing it went to shit. I do the top half bottom half type of pack job. Regular pro pack, S fold the top part of the canopy into the bag and once you have that squared away you chuck the bottom part in and close it up. I've had the best openings on what I thought were the worst pack jobs and the worst openings on the compensated pack jobs. It is a sweet rig and in my limited experience a fun canopy.

yeah... I just also know that alot of people use the psycho b/c you roll at the end making it easier to put larger canopies in smaller bags. Thanks for the input guys...

Good to hear that you have the same set up and it works fine propacking...

Chaps

I've been informed that on the m-4 mirage the safire 189 is a 'tight' pack job. My question is wether or not I'm going to have to learn to psychopack to get this canopy in the bag?

Do you have a G3 or a G4? I have a G4 and my canopy was supposed to fit 'tight' as well. I don't know about the G3's but a 'tight' fit in a G4 means cram it, punch it, jump up & down on it, cus at it, and then kick it! >:(

I really do have to psycho pack mine or I can't close the container. (And I'm not being a wimp about it either... my dzo had to use a wooden paddle to close it the 1st time). Icarus says the safire can be psycho packed so I say go for it. I get great openings with mine!

If you do start to psycho pack... I'd recommend paying special attention to your distance from other jumpers when you deploy. The first 10 or 15 times I psycho packed I had a lot of off heading openings. I had to work those out...
Pink Mafia Sis #26

thanks for the info skydivegirl! I got a new g3... couldn't justify the money for a new g-4... so hopefully the tight fit won't be as bad as your case... but we'll see! If it is I'll do what I can to pack it the way I know how and if that doesn't work I'll be looking to more experienced packers for alternatives like the psychopack.

thanks,
chaps

I can pack smaller using a propack then a PsychoPack. which basically is just a propack rolled up. It's a matter of which way learn to control the parachute.

If it's all packed up in the middle, the rig is more of challenge to close. If it fills the corners of the bag and leaves much less in the center, Then it will close much easier.

Unfortunately, unless an extremely talented packer (fast does not equal talented) teaches you, with out outside interuption, it takes much longer to develop good technique. The other choice is to pack 20,000 rigs including Mostly tandems of the "all f-111, size 420, in to a f***ing way to small bag" variety. Then you can pack any thing.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I psycho-pack my Safire, and have a Mirage G3. Had some issues with off-heading openings until someone recommended pulling the center cell out in front. It worked. Before wrapping the tail, I pull a good portion of slider out the front, pull the center cell nose out. then tuck the side cells back (don't roll them). Seems to work.

I've got a G3 and have been psycho packing a sabre and spectre into it since new (4 years). Previous container was an older Mirage - and also psychoed into it for ages.

But neither psycho or propack will fit well into a tight container unless you pack it flat/wide and distribute eavenly in the bag. Don't bunch it up in the middle. Get the corners filled well.

That being said, psycho, at least for me is the only way to pack. It packs faster, easier and fantastic consistant openings - always on heading and always soft. Why use any other method?

But what would I know ... I've only been packing since the 60's, when NOONE knew what they were doing anyhow!!!!!!!:$

Blue Skies, fergs

thanks fergs! After hearing from many experienced packers on this site I've decided that I will give the psychopack method a chance. Everybody who uses it... not just tried it once... seems to really enjoy deployment characteristics as well as packing ease in comparison to the propack. Thanks for all the info everybody! :)
Chaps